Old 06-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Pete Vander Giessen

Default Proper way install GNOME into KUbuntu 10.4 system - avoiding configuration conflicts? ; jor

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 3:26 PM, giovanni_re <john_re@fastmail.us> wrote:
> Particularly, I'm thinking XOrg settings are likely candidates for conflict. *But, perhaps there are others that could cause problems too.

Technically, Gnome and KDE are both desktop environments that run on
top of X Windows. If you've got a problem that is rooted in your XOrg
conf, the problem _should_ affect both Gnome and KDE. And if you
install Gnome, it should not interfere with your KDE settings at the
level of X Windows.

Since Gnome is basically a bundle of software, it _will_ add a lot of
entries in your main menu. You'll have, for example Kedit _and_ gedit
available as text editors. And the Gnome launcher icons end up
looking kind of out of place in your KDE menu. But that's more of a
clutter/aesthetic issue than one with settings (albeit one that drove
me and my OCD mildly batty back when I ran both environments side by
side).

~PeteVG

" ... the original aphorism being 'In comparison with the ancients, we
stand like dwarfs on the shoulders of giants.' The image was a
commonplace by the time Newton used it, his one contribution being to
erase any sense that he himself might be a dwarf."

~ Lewis Hyde