Old 06-22-2010, 09:59 PM
John Graddy

Default 10.04 Release -RESOLVED

Well I finally got Java working. It was a long day but I enjoyed it.
Jack and NOOP both had the solution, but, it only worked if I put the
"deb http://archive.canonical.com lucid partner that that Jack suggested
in /etc/apt/sources.list" file AND did the "sudo apt-get update"
command. Without that command, NOOPs"Suggested apt commands didn't
work. They gave an error message something like "no candidates for
update.

The configuration of sun-java6-jre also took MUCH LONGER that I
remembered. In fact, it took so long, that I gave up on it once and had
to start over.

Thanks to all for the quick responses.

Now, does anyone have an alternative to flashplayer 10 on a 64 bit
system?

Thanks again,
John

Old 06-22-2010, 10:46 PM
NoOp

On 06/22/2010 02:59 PM, John Graddy wrote:
> Well I finally got Java working. It was a long day but I enjoyed it.
> Jack and NOOP both had the solution, but, it only worked if I put the
> "deb http://archive.canonical.com lucid partner that that Jack suggested
> in /etc/apt/sources.list" file AND did the "sudo apt-get update"
> command. Without that command, NOOPs"Suggested apt commands didn't
> work. They gave an error message something like "no candidates for
> update.

Apologies. I _assumed_ that you had read the release notes _prior_ to
installing 10.04 :-)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/ReleaseNotes
<quote>
Sun Java moved to the Partner repository

For Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, the sun-java6 packages have been dropped from the
Multiverse section of the Ubuntu archive. It is recommended that you use
openjdk-6 instead.

If you can not switch from the proprietary Sun JDK/JRE to OpenJDK, you
can install sun-java6 packages from the Canonical Partner Repository.
You can configure your system to use this repository via command-line:

add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner"
</quote>

> The configuration of sun-java6-jre also took MUCH LONGER that I
> remembered. In fact, it took so long, that I gave up on it once and had
> to start over.
>
> Thanks to all for the quick responses.
>
> Now, does anyone have an alternative to flashplayer 10 on a 64 bit
> system?

Is sun-java6 Flash 10.1 not working on your 64bit system? Enable the
partner repository :-) and then:

$ sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

Old 06-23-2010, 01:40 PM
John Graddy

On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 15:46 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> Apologies. I _assumed_ that you had read the release notes _prior_ to
> installing 10.04 :-)

Thanks. Flash 10 now works.

I guess that I had tried so many things trying to get Java to work that
I had confused myself. When I posted my original message, I HAD read
the release notes AND made the addition to the partner repository. I
tried (unsuccessfully) to add Java and Flash using the normal Firefox
add-ons/plugins facilities so I sent my original message.

I am still confused about when to use an application provided facility
(like Firefox "Tools") and when to use apt.

Thanks,
John