Old 06-22-2010, 09:59 PM
"Jack Knowlton"

Default Video HW output with ATI

Hi all.
I have a Ubuntu HTPC running 10.04_amd64.
Until some time ago I had a Nvidia 8400GS card and was able to use the
vdpau output in mplayer (with packages from "cutting edge" repo).
Now I have switched to an ATI Raden HD 4350 with the fglrx driver.

Since I have changed the GPU, 1080p MKVs don't run smoothly anymore and
sometimes even 720p playback has a few hiccups now and then.
Is there something equivalent to vdpau for an ATI card?
I don't care for gaming, desktop effects and so forth, but I expect movies
to playback without trouble.
Thank you.

-JK

Old 07-14-2010, 06:27 PM
James Bensley

When I had an ATI card, I used EnvyNG to get a supported driver
installed, and added some extra lines in my xorg.conf...What are the
hiccups you get, is it lines accorss the screen that look like the
frame isn't rendering downthe screen quick enough? (screen tear
basically)

I swapped out for an nVidia card thinking this would fix it. I also
installed the official nVidia drivers but no; the problem I was
facing, for which I Googled for many hours, lead me to a the line for
my xorg.conf to fix this;

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

This may or may not fix the problem, if you too are experiancing
screen tear, but on an ATI card.

Sorry thats the best I have to offer :s

James.

http://www.jamesbensley.co.cc/

There are 10 kinds of people in the world; Those who understand
Vigesimal, and J others...?

Old 07-18-2010, 03:35 AM
Rashkae

Jack Knowlton wrote:
> Hi all.
> I have a Ubuntu HTPC running 10.04_amd64.
> Until some time ago I had a Nvidia 8400GS card and was able to use the
> vdpau output in mplayer (with packages from "cutting edge" repo).
> Now I have switched to an ATI Raden HD 4350 with the fglrx driver.
>
> Since I have changed the GPU, 1080p MKVs don't run smoothly anymore and
> sometimes even 720p playback has a few hiccups now and then.
> Is there something equivalent to vdpau for an ATI card?
> I don't care for gaming, desktop effects and so forth, but I expect movies
> to playback without trouble.
> Thank you.
>
> -JK

Your in for a rough ride with ATI card. New mplayer supposedly works as
far as hardware decoding goes.. I never actually tried, since I settled
a while back with mplayer-mt (an experimental multi-threaded branch) and
let the cpu handle video decoding. Either way, you will have to compile
mplayer from source. Fortunately, that's not really difficult.
apt-get build-dep mplayer should install all the pre-reqs you need.
The guides you see that require several packages installed up updated
manually are really only needed if you are also trying to build a
functional mencoder alongside the new mplayer.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:36 AM
James Bensley

"I settled
a while back with mplayer-mt (an experimental multi-threaded branch) and
let the cpu handle video decoding."

I use SMPlayer with Mplayer to use GPU decoding, works a treat for me.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:37 PM
NoOp

On 06/22/2010 02:59 PM, Jack Knowlton wrote:
> Hi all.
> I have a Ubuntu HTPC running 10.04_amd64.
> Until some time ago I had a Nvidia 8400GS card and was able to use the
> vdpau output in mplayer (with packages from "cutting edge" repo).
> Now I have switched to an ATI Raden HD 4350 with the fglrx driver.
>
> Since I have changed the GPU, 1080p MKVs don't run smoothly anymore and
> sometimes even 720p playback has a few hiccups now and then.
> Is there something equivalent to vdpau for an ATI card?
> I don't care for gaming, desktop effects and so forth, but I expect movies
> to playback without trouble.
> Thank you.

What version of mplayer? I use:
$ apt-cache policy mplayer
mplayer:
Installed: 2:1.0~rc3+svn20090426-1ubuntu16+medibuntu1
Candidate: 2:1.0~rc3+svn20090426-1ubuntu16+medibuntu1
Version table:
*** 2:1.0~rc3+svn20090426-1ubuntu16+medibuntu1 0
500 http://packages.medibuntu.org/ lucid/non-free Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
2:1.0~rc3+svn20090426-1ubuntu16 0
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/multiverse Packages

For HW acceleration, try xvmc. Might be supported on your card?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Video_Motion_Compensation
====
XvMC is supported on Radeon-4000 cards (which have UVD) by Catalyst
driver from 8.10 and higher at an experimental level (meaning that it
doesn't work "out of the box".)[4] (See also X-Video Bitstream
Acceleration). Motion compensation support in other ATI/AMD hardware is
planned for the future. (Now all hardware has support for MPEG-2
acceleration on iDCT and mo comp levels).
====

Works for me with my Intel Movile 4 Series chipset.

BTW: I used to use the PPA versions of mplayer & smplayer (rvm's ppa)
but was having issue on my laptop (stutter, pauses, etc), so I went back
to the medibuntu version instead.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:48 PM
NoOp

On 07/18/2010 10:37 AM, NoOp wrote:

> For HW acceleration, try xvmc. Might be supported on your card?
Sorry, forgot to add: if xvmc doesn't work, try gl instead. When you
open Preferences|Video in smplayer the dropdown selections are much more
descriptive than gnome-mplayer. On mine it shows two gl's:
gl (fast)
gl (fast - ATI cards)
Added note: xvmc works for me in gnome-mplayer, with smplayer it does
not & for smplayer I use the 'gl' driver.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:59 PM
NoOp

On 07/18/2010 10:48 AM, NoOp wrote:

> not & for smplayer I use the 'gl' driver.

Argh... I need more coffee... 'xv' driver w/my Intel.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:34 PM
NoOp

On 06/22/2010 02:59 PM, Jack Knowlton wrote:
> Hi all.
> I have a Ubuntu HTPC running 10.04_amd64.
> Until some time ago I had a Nvidia 8400GS card and was able to use the
> vdpau output in mplayer (with packages from "cutting edge" repo).
> Now I have switched to an ATI Raden HD 4350 with the fglrx driver.
>
> Since I have changed the GPU, 1080p MKVs don't run smoothly anymore and
> sometimes even 720p playback has a few hiccups now and then.
> Is there something equivalent to vdpau for an ATI card?
> I don't care for gaming, desktop effects and so forth, but I expect movies
> to playback without trouble.
> Thank you.

OK. Try this:

1. In one terminal
$ mplayer -vo help
2. Open another terminal & position next to the first terminal (so you
can read all of the options from terminal #1.
$ mplayer -vo <driver> <video>
Where <driver> is xv, gl, etc., and <video> is the name of the test
video. I used a short 42Mb avi for testing.
Let the video play all the way through. mplayer will provide you output
regarding the playback, including warnings that your system may be too
slow w/possible workarounds etc.
3. Repeat #2 above with the next driver. You'll eventually find the
driver that provides the best results. Once you do, modify your mplayer
to use that driver (either via gnome-mplayer, smplayer, or via
~/.mplayer/config).