Old 06-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Bill Liao

Default Is there a way to change the location of the minimize/maximize Windows in Lucid?

Maybe you could try KDE or use compiz...

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 11:35 PM, Maxime Alarie <malarie@processia.com> wrote:

I dont¬* like having them on the left side of the windows.. ¬*¬*Im
used to close my windows on the top-right corner…

If the dream is BIG enough,the facts don't count!

Old 06-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Maxime Alarie <malarie@processia.com> wrote:
> I dont¬* like having them on the left side of the windows.. ¬*¬*Im used to
> close my windows on the top-right corner…

sudo gconftool-2 --set --type=string ":minimize,maximize,close"
/apps/metacity/general/button_layout

Old 06-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 1:14 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 06/22/2010 08:41 AM, Tom H wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Maxime Alarie <malarie@processia.com> wrote:
>>> I dont ¬*like having them on the left side of the windows.. ¬* Im used to
>>> close my windows on the top-right corner…
>>
>> sudo gconftool-2 --set --type=string ":minimize,maximize,close"
>> /apps/metacity/general/button_layout
>
> You left of the 'menu'.
> menu:minimize,maximize,close

Good catch. Given that I never use the menu and that 10.04 doesn't
have a menu attribute, it's easily forgotten!

Old 06-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Donkey Hottie <donkey@fred.pp.fi> wrote:
> On 22.6.2010 18:41, Tom H wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Maxime Alarie <malarie@processia.com> wrote:
>>> I dont ¬*like having them on the left side of the windows.. ¬* Im used to
>>> close my windows on the top-right corner…
>>
>> sudo gconftool-2 --set --type=string ":minimize,maximize,close"
>> /apps/metacity/general/button_layout
>
> Error setting value: Bad key or directory name:
> "menu:minimize,maximize,close": Must begin with a slash '/'
>
> I even tried
>
> # gconftool-2 --set --type=string /apps/metacity/general/button_layout
> menu:minimize,maximize,close
>
> And it does not error, but nothing happens. After a reboot the buttons
> are still in left.

Sorry.

1. Just checked the man page and the "--set" might have to be next to
the "menu...".

2. Thinking about it, you probably need to do this as the logged-in
user and not as root.

So
$ gconftool-2 /apps/metacity/general/button_layout --type=string --set
"menu:minimize,maximize,close"
not
$ sudo gconftool-2 /apps/metacity/general/button_layout --type=string
--set "menu:minimize,maximize,close"
or

Old 06-23-2010, 03:32 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Donkey Hottie <donkey@fred.pp.fi> wrote:
> On 23.6.2010 16:43, Tom H wrote:
>> 2. Thinking about it, you probably need to do this as the logged-in
>> user and not as root.
>>
>> So
>> $ gconftool-2 /apps/metacity/general/button_layout --type=string --set
>> "menu:minimize,maximize,close"
>
> Thanks, that works.. The appearance changed immediately.

You're welcome, and apologies again for the unnecessary sudo and the
incorrect order; I was typing stupidly from (clearly failing!) memory.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Donkey Hottie <donkey@fred.pp.fi> wrote:
> On 23.6.2010 16:10, Mark Widdicombe wrote:
>>> Error setting value: Bad key or directory name:
>>> ."menu:minimize,maximize,close": Must begin with a slash '/'
>>
>>> I even tried
>>
>>> # gconftool-2 --set --type=string /apps/metacity/general/button_layout
>>> menu:minimize,maximize,close
>>
>>> And it does not error, but nothing happens. After a reboot the buttons
>>> are still in left.
>>
>> What happened to the quotes?
>
> As a programmer I happen to know that quotes are not needed when the
> argument does not contain spaces. The shell or something will remove
> them anyway. The application (command) will never see the quotes.
>
> Quotes are needed if the argument contains white space.

Not just white space but in this case it works because the ":" and ","
will not be interpreted/misinterpreted by bash.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Donkey Hottie <donkey@fred.pp.fi> wrote:
> On 23.6.2010 18:35, Tom H wrote:

>>> As a programmer I happen to know that quotes are not needed when the
>>> argument does not contain spaces. The shell or something will remove
>>> them anyway. The application (command) will never see the quotes.
>>>
>>> Quotes are needed if the argument contains white space.
>>
>> Not just white space but in this case it works because the ":" and ","
>> will not be interpreted/misinterpreted by bash.
>>

> I see no difference with or without quotes.

LOL. You must have misread my email. I said "...in this case it works...".

But I also said that quotes aren't just useful for white space.

Try doing an
aptitude ?task(mail-server)
without escaping the question mark and parenthesis with single or
double quotes (or backslashes).