Old 06-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Donkey Hottie

Default Is there a way to change the location of the minimize/maximize Windows in Lucid?

On 23.6.2010 16:43, Tom H wrote:
> 2. Thinking about it, you probably need to do this as the logged-in
> user and not as root.
>
> So
> $ gconftool-2 /apps/metacity/general/button_layout --type=string --set
> "menu:minimize,maximize,close"

Thanks, that works.. The appearance changed immediately.

--
You will lose your present job and have to become a door to door mayonnaise
salesman.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Donkey Hottie

On 23.6.2010 16:10, Mark Widdicombe wrote:
>> Error setting value: Bad key or directory name:
>> ."menu:minimize,maximize,close": Must begin with a slash '/'
>
>> I even tried
>
>> # gconftool-2 --set --type=string /apps/metacity/general/button_layout
>> menu:minimize,maximize,close
>
>> And it does not error, but nothing happens. After a reboot the buttons
>> are still in left.
>
> What happened to the quotes?

As a programmer I happen to know that quotes are not needed when the
argument does not contain spaces. The shell or something will remove
them anyway. The application (command) will never see the quotes.

Quotes are needed if the argument contains white space.

--
An exotic journey in downtown Newark is in your future.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Donkey Hottie

On 23.6.2010 18:35, Tom H wrote:

>>> What happened to the quotes?
>>
>> As a programmer I happen to know that quotes are not needed when the
>> argument does not contain spaces. The shell or something will remove
>> them anyway. The application (command) will never see the quotes.
>>
>> Quotes are needed if the argument contains white space.
>
> Not just white space but in this case it works because the ":" and ","
> will not be interpreted/misinterpreted by bash.

I see no difference with or without quotes.

$ tee test.c

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
printf("%s

",argv[1]);
return 0 ;
}

^D
$ cc test.c .o test
$ ./test abba:babba,gamma
abba:babba,gamma

$ ./test "abba:babba,gamma"
abba:babba,gamma

No Difference. The program outputs its 1st argument as seen.

--
Beware of a dark-haired man with a loud tie.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Nolan Cooper

On 06/23/2010 06:43 AM, Tom H wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Donkey Hottie<donkey@fred.pp.fi> wrote:
>>>
>>> sudo gconftool-2 --set --type=string ":minimize,maximize,close"
>>> /apps/metacity/general/button_layout
>>
>> Error setting value: Bad key or directory name:
>> "menu:minimize,maximize,close": Must begin with a slash '/'
>>
>> I even tried
>>
>> # gconftool-2 --set --type=string /apps/metacity/general/button_layout
>> menu:minimize,maximize,close
>>
>> And it does not error, but nothing happens. After a reboot the buttons
>> are still in left.
>
> Sorry.
>
> 1. Just checked the man page and the "--set" might have to be next to
> the "menu...".
>
> 2. Thinking about it, you probably need to do this as the logged-in
> user and not as root.
>
> So
> $ gconftool-2 /apps/metacity/general/button_layout --type=string --set
> "menu:minimize,maximize,close"
> not
> $ sudo gconftool-2 /apps/metacity/general/button_layout --type=string
> --set "menu:minimize,maximize,close"
> or
> # gconftool-2 /apps/metacity/general/button_layout --type=string --set
> "menu:minimize,maximize,close"

This has worked for me on two different occasions..

CODE:conflation-2 --set /apps/metacity/general/button_layout --type
string "menu:minimize,maximize,close"

Nolan

Old 06-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Donkey Hottie

On 23.6.2010 19:54, Tom H wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Donkey Hottie <donkey@fred.pp.fi> wrote:
>>
>> I see no difference with or without quotes.
>
> LOL. You must have misread my email. I said "...in this case it works...".
>
> But I also said that quotes aren't just useful for white space.
>
> Try doing an
> aptitude ?task(mail-server)
> without escaping the question mark and parenthesis with single or
> double quotes (or backslashes).

OK. You are correct. I was too much in this case

--
Always the dullness of the fool is the whetstone of the wits.
-- William Shakespeare, "As You Like It"