Old 06-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Chris G

Default Ubuntu 10.04 installation, can't get beyond "Who are you?"

I'm trying to install Xubuntu 10.04 on a Dell Vostro laptop. It all
goes much as expected until I get to the "Who are you?" screen (step 5
of 7).

I've filled in all the boxes but the Forward button stays greyed out
so I can't progress.

Any ideas as to how to overcome this?

--
Chris Green

Old 06-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Bill Liao

Make sure you entered the confirmed password...

I'm trying to install Xubuntu 10.04 on a Dell Vostro laptop. *It all

goes much as expected until I get to the "Who are you?" screen (step 5

of 7).

I've filled in all the boxes but the Forward button stays greyed out

so I can't progress.

Any ideas as to how to overcome this?

--

Chris Green

If the dream is BIG enough,the facts don't count!

Old 06-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Chris G

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 11:36:09PM +0800, Bill Liao wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 11:34 PM, Chris G <[1]cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to install Xubuntu 10.04 on a Dell Vostro laptop. It all
> > goes much as expected until I get to the "Who are you?" screen (step 5
> > of 7).
> >
> > I've filled in all the boxes but the Forward button stays greyed out
> > so I can't progress.
> >
> > Any ideas as to how to overcome this?
>
> Make sure you entered the confirmed password...

I've definitely put the confirm password value in, several times!

I'm trying the alternate install disk now and it seems to be going OK,
it's got further than the GUI install anyway.

--
Chris Green

Old 06-22-2010, 07:38 PM

Had a similar problem -- finally figured out that when I got to the password screen, I could drop to bottom of the screen and change the menu selection from "gnome" to "failsafe gnome". That gets me logged on -- haven't figured out how to eliminate the extra steps yet.

R.W. Missell
billmissell@lycos.com