-   -   how to prevent Ubuntu to automatically insert the modules (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/389310-how-prevent-ubuntu-automatically-insert-modules.html)

loody 06-22-2010 12:57 PM

how to prevent Ubuntu to automatically insert the modules

Dear all:
I try to trace gadet Mass storage driver in kernel, but each time I
insert g_storage_file.ko the usb-storage.ko
will be automatically inserted.

Is there any way to prevent Ubuntu automatically instert the modules?
(I roughly know there is a dependency of modules but I have no idea
where and how to turn it off)
appreciate your help,
miloody

06-22-2010 02:47 PM

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 20:57:37 +0800, loody <miloody@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all:
> I try to trace gadet Mass storage driver in kernel, but each time I
> insert g_storage_file.ko the usb-storage.ko
> will be automatically inserted.
>
> Is there any way to prevent Ubuntu automatically instert the modules?
> (I roughly know there is a dependency of modules but I have no idea
> where and how to turn it off)
> appreciate your help,
> miloody

hey there mate, here's a page you might find usefull

NoOp 06-22-2010 03:07 PM

On 06/22/2010 05:57 AM, loody wrote:
> Dear all:
> I try to trace gadet Mass storage driver in kernel, but each time I
> insert g_storage_file.ko the usb-storage.ko
> will be automatically inserted.
>
> Is there any way to prevent Ubuntu automatically instert the modules?
> (I roughly know there is a dependency of modules but I have no idea
> where and how to turn it off)
> appreciate your help,
> miloody

You might want to try:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community
and in the search box enter: blacklist modules

Tom H 06-22-2010 03:11 PM

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 8:57 AM, loody <miloody@gmail.com> wrote:
> I try to trace gadet Mass storage driver in kernel, but each time I
> insert g_storage_file.ko the usb-storage.ko
> will be automatically inserted.
>
> Is there any way to prevent Ubuntu automatically instert the modules?

Create a file in /etc/modprobe.d containing
install usb-storage.ko /bin/true

loody 06-28-2010 06:21 AM

how to prevent Ubuntu to automatically insert the modules

hi all:
thanks for your kind help :)

2010/6/22 Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 8:57 AM, loody <miloody@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I try to trace gadet Mass storage driver in kernel, but each time I
>> insert g_storage_file.ko the usb-storage.ko
>> will be automatically inserted.
>>
>> Is there any way to prevent Ubuntu automatically instert the modules?
>
> Create a file in /etc/modprobe.d containing
> install usb-storage.ko /bin/true
it works fine.
I hve some questions:
1. what is the mechanism that ubuntu can automatically load modules?
2. is it possible to only restrict usb-storage.ko from loading when I
insert g_storage_file.ko?
appreciate your help,
miloody

Mark Widdicombe 12-06-2010 06:23 AM

how to prevent Ubuntu to automatically insert the modules

hi all:
thanks for your kind help :)

2010/6/22 Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 8:57 AM, loody <miloody@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I try to trace gadet Mass storage driver in kernel, but each time I
>> insert g_storage_file.ko the usb-storage.ko
>> will be automatically inserted.
>>
>> Is there any way to prevent Ubuntu automatically instert the modules?
>
> Create a file in /etc/modprobe.d containing
> install usb-storage.ko /bin/true
it works fine.
I hve some questions:
1. what is the mechanism that ubuntu can automatically load modules?
2. is it possible to only restrict usb-storage.ko from loading when I
insert g_storage_file.ko?
appreciate your help,
miloody

Disclaimer