Old 06-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Larry

Default Question about the swap file...???

*I've been watching my pc's CPU at times in is lower than at other time,
I am guessing when it is performing a task, it inscreases say from 16.5
too 48, then drops back to a lower rate...But the Swap file shows 0%,
all of the time, would this speed up things if the swap file would take
the load away from the CPU at times...???

If this is true, can someone suggest to me on how to get the swap to be
used when it is needed...???

Thanks for any help on this issue...

Larry
*

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 10.4 Ultimaye Edition 2.6

Reg# Linux User 484593

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 06-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Patrick Doyle

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Larry <larryesu@charter.net> wrote:
> *I've been watching my pc's CPU at times in is lower than at other time,
> I am guessing when it is performing *a task, it inscreases say from 16.5
> too 48, then drops back to a lower rate...But the Swap file shows *0%,
> all of the time, would this speed up things if the swap file would take
> the load away from the CPU at times...???
>
> If this is true, can someone suggest to me on how to get the swap to be
> used when it is needed...???
>
> Thanks for any help on this issue...
>
> Larry
> *

Hi Larry,
The swap file is space on your hard disk that is effectively "extra
memory" outside of the 2G, 4G, or whatever amount of RAM you have on
your motherboard. Accessing a hard disk is orders of magnitude slower
than accessing RAM. So the kernel tries very hard never to put things
into the swap file -- because it just slows everything down -- having
to write to the hard disk, having to read it back later when the data
are needed again, keeping track of what is stored where, etc... This
is a very simplified explanation, but I hope it gives you the idea.

You asked "how to get the swap to be used when it is needed?" The
answer is -- the kernel will use it when it is needed. But if you
have enough RAM in your system, hopefully it will never be needed.

--wpd

Old 06-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Larry

On 06/22/2010 07:55 AM, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Larry<larryesu@charter.net> wrote:
>
>> *I've been watching my pc's CPU at times in is lower than at other time,
>> I am guessing when it is performing a task, it inscreases say from 16.5
>> too 48, then drops back to a lower rate...But the Swap file shows 0%,
>> all of the time, would this speed up things if the swap file would take
>> the load away from the CPU at times...???
>>
>> If this is true, can someone suggest to me on how to get the swap to be
>> used when it is needed...???
>>
>> Thanks for any help on this issue...
>>
>> Larry
>> *
>>
> Hi Larry,
> The swap file is space on your hard disk that is effectively "extra
> memory" outside of the 2G, 4G, or whatever amount of RAM you have on
> your motherboard. Accessing a hard disk is orders of magnitude slower
> than accessing RAM. So the kernel tries very hard never to put things
> into the swap file -- because it just slows everything down -- having
> to write to the hard disk, having to read it back later when the data
> are needed again, keeping track of what is stored where, etc... This
> is a very simplified explanation, but I hope it gives you the idea.
>
> You asked "how to get the swap to be used when it is needed?" The
> answer is -- the kernel will use it when it is needed. But if you
> have enough RAM in your system, hopefully it will never be needed.
>
> --wpd

*Hi Patrick,

Well thank you very much for the explanation of what the swap file does,
so I guess that is is working as it should...I was thinking that it wuld
speed up things, but I see that it will not do so...So as I said, I will
leave well enough alone...

Have a Great Day!!!!

Larry
*

Old 06-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 07:46 -0500, Larry wrote:
> *I've been watching my pc's CPU at times in is lower than at other time,
> I am guessing when it is performing a task, it inscreases say from 16.5
> too 48, then drops back to a lower rate...But the Swap file shows 0%,
> all of the time, would this speed up things if the swap file would take
> the load away from the CPU at times...???
>
> If this is true, can someone suggest to me on how to get the swap to be
> used when it is needed...???

0% of swap used is generally a "good thing". It means there is zero
paging to and from disk which likely means your workload is not taxing
the virtual memory system at all. Using swap does not reduce the load
on the CPU. If anything paging to and from swap will increase your CPU
load, since it takes some cpu time to run the paging algorithm.

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Computer Systems and

Old 06-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Larry

On 06/22/2010 08:00 AM, Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 07:46 -0500, Larry wrote:
>
>> *I've been watching my pc's CPU at times in is lower than at other time,
>> I am guessing when it is performing a task, it inscreases say from 16.5
>> too 48, then drops back to a lower rate...But the Swap file shows 0%,
>> all of the time, would this speed up things if the swap file would take
>> the load away from the CPU at times...???
>>
>> If this is true, can someone suggest to me on how to get the swap to be
>> used when it is needed...???
>>

> 0% of swap used is generally a "good thing". It means there is zero
> paging to and from disk which likely means your workload is not taxing
> the virtual memory system at all. Using swap does not reduce the load
> on the CPU. If anything paging to and from swap will increase your CPU
> load, since it takes some cpu time to run the paging algorithm.

*Thank you Carl, for your input, I now know that it is a good thing when
it is showing a 0%...

Have a nice day...

Larry
*

Old 06-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Bill Liao

I have yet never ever saw the usage of my swap file....

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Larry <larryesu@charter.net> wrote:

*I've been watching my pc's CPU at times in is lower than at other time,

I am guessing when it is performing *a task, it inscreases say from 16.5

too 48, then drops back to a lower rate...But the Swap file shows *0%,

all of the time, would this speed up things if the swap file would take

the load away from the CPU at times...???

If this is true, can someone suggest to me on how to get the swap to be

used when it is needed...???

Thanks for any help on this issue...

Larry

*

--

Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux

by Ubuntu ver 10.4 Ultimaye Edition 2.6

73 de Larry/wd9esu 34yr's A.R.O.

Reg# Linux User 484593

"This is Linux Country,

on a quiet night you can hear

WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

If the dream is BIG enough,the facts don't count!

Old 06-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Luis Paulo

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Larry <larryesu@charter.net> wrote:
> *I've been watching my pc's CPU at times in is lower than at other time,
> I am guessing when it is performing *a task, it inscreases say from 16.5
> too 48, then drops back to a lower rate...But the Swap file shows *0%,
> all of the time, would this speed up things if the swap file would take
> the load away from the CPU at times...???
>
> If this is true, can someone suggest to me on how to get the swap to be
> used when it is needed...???
>
> Thanks for any help on this issue...
>
> Larry
> *
>
> --
> Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
> by Ubuntu ver 10.4 Ultimaye Edition 2.6
> 73 de Larry/wd9esu 34yr's A.R.O.
>
> Reg# Linux User 484593
>
> "This is Linux Country,
> on a quiet night you can hear
> WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"
>
> GPG Fingerprint: A4D2 BFC2 B21B 8F7A C336 EFDC 7039 3CA5 3332 076E
> Public Key available from subkeys.pgp.net

Just to add that, AFAIK, a swap file at least the size of your RAM is
needed if you want to use hibernate.
Am I right?

Old 06-22-2010, 08:52 PM
chris

On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 21:46 +0100, Luis Paulo wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Larry <larryesu@charter.net> wrote:
> > *I've been watching my pc's CPU at times in is lower than at other time,
> > I am guessing when it is performing a task, it inscreases say from 16.5
> > too 48, then drops back to a lower rate...But the Swap file shows 0%,
> > all of the time, would this speed up things if the swap file would take
> > the load away from the CPU at times...???
> >
> > If this is true, can someone suggest to me on how to get the swap to be
> > used when it is needed...???
> >
> > Thanks for any help on this issue...
> >
> > Larry
> > *
> >
> > --
> > Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
> > by Ubuntu ver 10.4 Ultimaye Edition 2.6
> > 73 de Larry/wd9esu 34yr's A.R.O.
> >
> > Reg# Linux User 484593
> >
> > "This is Linux Country,
> > on a quiet night you can hear
> > WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"
> >
> > GPG Fingerprint: A4D2 BFC2 B21B 8F7A C336 EFDC 7039 3CA5 3332 076E
> > Public Key available from subkeys.pgp.net
> >

> > --
> >

> Just to add that, AFAIK, a swap file at least the size of your RAM is
> needed if you want to use hibernate.
> Am I right?

Yes actually I allow 512meg over that size
cheers the kiwi