Old 06-21-2010, 09:15 PM
John Graddy

Default 10.04 Release

I recently upgraded my System-76 laptop. I used the on-line update and
all went smoothly.

Later, I downloaded the 32 bit version of 10.04 from the Ubuntu site and
installed Lucid in a dual boot configuration with an existing windows
desktop system.

Java applets work fine on the laptop. However, there is no trace of
Java on the desktop system. I have read the Lucid release notes
concerning openjdk-6 but didn't find it helpful.
Is there a way to get java applets working again?

Thanks.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:23 PM
"a_puzzeled_newbie(^_^);"

could you better explain? from where i sit it seems like you said that the java apps work fine but they dont!? which that gets kinda confusing. You could use the terminal and use:
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-cache search java

then from there see which app u need and then do the following:

sudo apt-get install *insert name of app here*

works for me when the gui doesent want to function for me and/or i cant find anything on the gui that would help me. better put its the hard wired way to install apps the right way the first time around!

hope i have helped even a little bit!

-ben

Old 06-21-2010, 09:28 PM
Calcpage

On Jun 21, 2010, at 5:15 PM, John Graddy <jwgraddy@valornet.com> wrote:

> I recently upgraded my System-76 laptop. I used the on-line update
> and
> all went smoothly.
>
> Later, I downloaded the 32 bit version of 10.04 from the Ubuntu site
> and
> installed Lucid in a dual boot configuration with an existing windows
> desktop system.
>
> Java applets work fine on the laptop. However, there is no trace of
> Java on the desktop system. I have read the Lucid release notes
> concerning openjdk-6 but didn't find it helpful.
> Is there a way to get java applets working again?
>
> Thanks.

Please see my blog! I just described how I added jre to FireFox.

HTH,
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math & CS
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com