Old 06-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Jim Byrnes

Default Sometimes printing & localhost not working

I upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04 about 6 weeks ago. Two weeks ago I had my
first crash in Ubuntu. I was gone for about 4 hours and had a number of
things open at the time, Seamonkey, XP in vbox, Jedit a terminal,
Nautilus, etc. When I came back I had a black screen and I couldn't
bring up the desktop. At first I thought I was just stuck in the screen
saver, then I realized the machine was not running.

I restarted it and Seamonkey loaded and said sorry for crashing and
everything seemed to be OK. Later I tried to open XP in vbox and
received an error message. It also told me how to fix it and I was able
to get it running. Since then a couple of times I have not been able to
use localhost or print.

I have Apache and Mysql running on my desktop and use a small web app
via Seamonkey to connect. When the problem occurs I get the message
"connection refused when attempting to contact localhost" and if I try
to print from any app my only option is to print to file.

Rebooting fixes the problem but I know that's not the Ubuntu way, so
when this happens how do I start to trouble shoot it?

Regards, Jim