Old 06-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Alain Muls

Default New Lenovo SL500 and Lucid Lynx

Hi All

My boss gave me a new and shniy Lenove SL500 PC.
I installed Lucid Lynx without a problem, but apparently I cannot
enable compiz effects.

How can I find out which screen driver I need for having accelerated graphics?

Tx/Alain

Old 06-21-2010, 04:11 PM
NoOp

On 06/21/2010 05:35 AM, Alain Muls wrote:
> Hi All
>
> My boss gave me a new and shniy Lenove SL500 PC.
> I installed Lucid Lynx without a problem, but apparently I cannot
> enable compiz effects.
>
> How can I find out which screen driver I need for having accelerated graphics?

It appears that your laptop uses an NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS, or Intel
Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD graphics card[1].

If that is correct[2], and it has the nVidia card, click:
System|Administration|Hardware Drivers and you should be prompted to
install the appropriate nvidia driver (nvidia-glx-185). Install & reboot.

If the card is Intel, it _should_ work for that particular chipset. Make
sure that you've installed all updates (System|Administration|Update
Manager.

[1]
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:SL500
[2]
You can determine the type of card by opening a terminal
(Applications|Accessories|Terminal) and enter ($ is the terminal prompt
- don't enter that):

$ lspci |grep VGA

or

$ lspci -v

for a more detailed view.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:26 PM
user1

Probably the newer 196 nvidia driver (synaptic install "nvidia-current
version 196.x.x.x") should be used