Old 06-21-2010, 01:16 AM
Nataraj

Default gdm and user login files with non-bourne shells

I am running Lucid 10.04 with all updates applied. I see that GDM does
not run a login shell (from /etc/gdm/Xsession), but instead,
/etc/gdm/Xsession invokes the users .profile file itself.

A result of this, is that if a user has his login shell set to a
non-bourne shell such as tcsh, and he has commands in ${HOME}/.login or
other non-bourne shell init files they never get invoked. This is
somewhat documemented in the comments in /etc/gdm/Xsession. Gnome in
other linux distributions such as Fedora, invoke a login shell with
something like exec -l ${SHELL} from /etc/gdm/Xsession, which guarantees
that a user will get the expected behaviour based on their choice of
login shell. Of course the login shell must be run directly under gdm
so that it can pass down any environment variables to child processes.

Is this just the documented behavior of Ubuntu or am I missing something
here? I managed to create a workaround, but it seems messy to have to
do this.

Also I tried to create a .xsession file in ${HOME}/.xsession, but it did
not get invoked. /etc/X11/Xsession.options, which is unmodified from the
default, contains the line:

allow-user-xsession

Any ideas?

Thank You,