-   -   Networking w/o Network-mangler? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/388537-networking-w-o-network-mangler.html)

Tom H 06-20-2010 05:30 PM

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Donkey Hottie <donkey@fred.pp.fi> wrote:

> I have Karmic-Koala under VirtualBox, and wired networking.
>
> It has this NetworkManager, and it seems to fail. First thing after a
> reboot is to restart network-manager. Hate that.
>
> I'm more used to Debian, and it does not have anything like
> NetworkManager, it just works.
>
> Debian has /etc/network/interfaces and the network gets loaded after
> that file. Ubuntu had nothing except lo interface there.
>
> I purged network-manager, and added eth0 into /etc/network/interfaces,
> but that was a miserable failure. No network.
>
> How to get a wired network into Ubuntu without NetworkManager. I do not
> want to manage any networks, I just want it up!
>
> Had to restore the Ubuntu virtual machine from backup, as I somehow
> could not even reinstall Network-Mangler from .iso, dunno why.
>
> I do not have WiFi or anything like that, and I want to get rid of mangler.

Of course Debian has NM! (If you are running GNOME.)

What did you add to e/n/i?

Donkey Hottie 06-20-2010 06:03 PM

On 20.6.2010 20:30, Tom H wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Donkey Hottie <donkey@fred.pp.fi> wrote:
>>
>> I have Karmic-Koala under VirtualBox, and wired networking.
>>
>> It has this NetworkManager, and it seems to fail. First thing after a
>> reboot is to restart network-manager. Hate that.
>>
>> I'm more used to Debian, and it does not have anything like
>> NetworkManager, it just works.
>>
>> Debian has /etc/network/interfaces and the network gets loaded after
>> that file. Ubuntu had nothing except lo interface there.
>>
>> I purged network-manager, and added eth0 into /etc/network/interfaces,
>> but that was a miserable failure. No network.
>>
>> How to get a wired network into Ubuntu without NetworkManager. I do not
>> want to manage any networks, I just want it up!
>>
>> Had to restore the Ubuntu virtual machine from backup, as I somehow
>> could not even reinstall Network-Mangler from .iso, dunno why.
>>
>> I do not have WiFi or anything like that, and I want to get rid of mangler.
>
> Of course Debian has NM! (If you are running GNOME.)
>
> What did you add to e/n/i?

I added there

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

But now I just upgraded to 10.04 LTS, so maybe it works better. Dunno,
the virtual machine is now offline for backup.

--
Q: What do agnostic, insomniac dyslexics do at night?
A: Stay awake and wonder if there's a dog.

Tom H 06-20-2010 07:26 PM

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Donkey Hottie <donkey@fred.pp.fi> wrote:
> On 20.6.2010 20:30, Tom H wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Donkey Hottie <donkey@fred.pp.fi> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have Karmic-Koala under VirtualBox, and wired networking.
>>>
>>> It has this NetworkManager, and it seems to fail. First thing after a
>>> reboot is to restart network-manager. Hate that.
>>>
>>> I'm more used to Debian, and it does not have anything like
>>> NetworkManager, it just works.
>>>
>>> Debian has /etc/network/interfaces and the network gets loaded after
>>> that file. Ubuntu had nothing except lo interface there.
>>>
>>> I purged network-manager, and added eth0 into /etc/network/interfaces,
>>> but that was a miserable failure. No network.
>>>
>>> How to get a wired network into Ubuntu without NetworkManager. I do not
>>> want to manage any networks, I just want it up!
>>>
>>> Had to restore the Ubuntu virtual machine from backup, as I somehow
>>> could not even reinstall Network-Mangler from .iso, dunno why.
>>>
>>> I do not have WiFi or anything like that, and I want to get rid of mangler.
>>
>> Of course Debian has NM! (If you are running GNOME.)
>>
>> What did you add to e/n/i?
>
> I added there
>
> allow-hotplug eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp

Change "allow-hotplug" to "allow-auto" or "auto".