Old 06-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Freddy Van Ingelgom

Default Ubuntu or ubuntu-server edition?

Hello folks,
I was wondering, I have to setup a server for a small business (7 users) and I would like to setup with Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) Why should I use the server edition instead of the regular edition with X-server and Gnome for example?

Your ideas on this matter will be highly appreciated.
Thanks!
Freddy

Old 06-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Goh Lip

On 06/20/2010 07:22 PM, Freddy Van Ingelgom wrote:
> Hello folks,
> I was wondering, I have to setup a server for a small business (7 users)
> and I would like to setup with Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) Why should I use
> the server edition instead of the regular edition with X-server and
> Gnome for example?
> Your ideas on this matter will be highly appreciated.
> Thanks!
> Freddy

Freddy, one important caveat. Most of us here are not on the server
edition. If any of us here set up a 'server'. it is just for mucking
around and may feel unqualified, including myself, to give you
professional advice. While some of us here, not me though, are working
in a server environment, they may feel even more 'challenged' as they
have to abide to a more exacting standard of professionalism.

So, while I hope others may give you their opinions, you must bear in
mind that we are only 'users' here and some may even give you wrong
information. So I hope you handle the responses here, if any,
appropriately.

There are links to the server page where you may find more specific
information.

Good luck - Goh Lip

Old 06-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Rashkae

Freddy Van Ingelgom wrote:
> Hello folks,
> I was wondering, I have to setup a server for a small business (7 users) and
> I would like to setup with Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) Why should I use the server
> edition instead of the regular edition with X-server and Gnome for example?
> Your ideas on this matter will be highly appreciated.
> Thanks!
> Freddy

There's no real magic in the server edition other than more server
specific packages installed by default (and less desktop specific
packages). The actual difference, however, will only be a bit of wasted
disk space on packages your server probably doesn't need, even if you do
prefer to have X and GDM login available (such as Open Office,
Evolution, Rythmbox etc.) Personally, for small business servers, I
usually install regular LTS Ubuntu, then add the server packages I want.
(samba, dovecot, dhcpd, bind, etc.)

Old 06-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Tom H

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com> wrote:
> Freddy Van Ingelgom wrote:
>> I was wondering, I have to setup a server for a small business (7 users) and
>> I would like to setup with Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) Why should I use the server
>> edition instead of the regular edition with X-server and Gnome for example?
>> Your ideas on this matter will be highly appreciated.
>
> There's no real magic in the server edition other than more server
> specific packages installed by default (and less desktop specific
> packages). *The actual difference, however, will only be a bit of wasted
> disk space on packages your server probably doesn't need, even if you do
> prefer to have X and GDM login available (such as Open Office,
> Evolution, Rythmbox etc.) *Personally, for small business servers, I
> usually install regular LTS Ubuntu, then add the server packages I want.
> (samba, dovecot, dhcpd, bind, etc.)

I do the opposite of Rashkae. Whether building a server or desktop, I
install a basic server and then add the packages or tasks that I need
on that box.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Freddy Van Ingelgom

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com> wrote:

Freddy Van Ingelgom wrote:

> Hello folks,

> I was wondering, I have to setup a server for a small business (7 users) and

> I would like to setup with Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) Why should I use the server

> edition instead of the regular edition with X-server and Gnome for example?

> Your ideas on this matter will be highly appreciated.

> Thanks!

> Freddy

There's no real magic in the server edition other than more server

specific packages installed by default (and less desktop specific

packages). *The actual difference, however, will only be a bit of wasted

disk space on packages your server probably doesn't need, even if you do

prefer to have X and GDM login available (such as Open Office,

Evolution, Rythmbox etc.) *Personally, for small business servers, I

usually install regular LTS Ubuntu, then add the server packages I want.

(samba, dovecot, dhcpd, bind, etc.)

*
Thanks you for the advice, in fact it would be easier then to install the server version and then to add X and GDM?
Or at least a more logic approach?

Freddy
*

Old 06-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Robert Spanjaard

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 09:03:01 -0400, Rashkae wrote:

>> I was wondering, I have to setup a server for a small business (7
>> users) and I would like to setup with Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) Why should
>> I use the server edition instead of the regular edition with X-server
>> and Gnome for example? Your ideas on this matter will be highly
>> appreciated. Thanks!
>
> There's no real magic in the server edition other than more server
> specific packages installed by default (and less desktop specific
> packages).

What about the kernel settings? There's a difference between the desktop
and server edition.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 06-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Rashkae

Robert Spanjaard wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 09:03:01 -0400, Rashkae wrote:
>
>>> I was wondering, I have to setup a server for a small business (7
>>> users) and I would like to setup with Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) Why should
>>> I use the server edition instead of the regular edition with X-server
>>> and Gnome for example? Your ideas on this matter will be highly
>>> appreciated. Thanks!
>> There's no real magic in the server edition other than more server
>> specific packages installed by default (and less desktop specific
>> packages).
>
> What about the kernel settings? There's a difference between the desktop
> and server edition.

Then install the linux-server package if you desire. Though I doubt
you'll find much there that is of much practical use to your typical
small business server. We're not talking data-centre machines here.

The point was, there is no difference between the editions of ubuntu
other than the default package selections. So start with what you like
or are more comfortable with, and add/remove packages as required for
the job at hand.