Old 06-20-2010, 10:19 AM
baldyeti

Default Windows have no controls or title bar after upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04

This sounds like the problem I had under the same upgrade path.
Someone on the ubuntu support forum correctly suggested I was
missing the "gnome-compiz" package; I hope it'll work for you,
too...

Old 06-20-2010, 03:47 PM
"R. A. Bilonick"

On Sun, 2010-06-20 at 12:19 +0200, baldyeti wrote:
> This sounds like the problem I had under the same upgrade path.
> Someone on the ubuntu support forum correctly suggested I was
> missing the "gnome-compiz" package; I hope it'll work for you,
> too...
>
> On 20/06/2010 06:34, R. A. Bilonick wrote:
> > I tested 10.04 using the livecd before upgrading to 10.04 from 9.10. The
> > windows looked fine in the live cd. You had borders around the windows
> > with controls in the upper left for closing and resizing the windows.
> > You had a title bar that you could grab to move the window, etc.
> >
> > After upgrading to 10.04, the default windows are defective. No controls
> > and no title bar. Plus, the cpu usage now runs at 62% all the time even
> > when not running any applications.
> >
> > If I change the appearance (system|preferences|appearance) and change
> > "Visual Effects" from "none" to "normal", I get window controls and
> > title bar, but they are not "embellished" as they should be for 10.04.
> >
> > Clearly, the gnome window manager or some such software did not upgrade
> > correctly. How can I fix this? I installed LXDE and the system runs
> > normally using LXDE (no 62% cpu usage and the window controls etc. are
> > what you would expect). I've tried re-installing various gnome
> > components without any improvement.

I checked and compiz-gnome is already installed. I'm re-installing it
and I'm going to see if that helps.

I've done an extensive Internet search and one other suggestion was to
run:

> metacity --replace

But that removes the controls that I get after changing from "none" to
"normal" in Visual Effects.

There were other similar suggestions for other window managers but none
have worked. It may be connected with the Intel video chips in this
laptop. There were some hints of a conflict between GXL (or GLX) which
has something to do with the bit-maps that are used to overlay the
simple buttons.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:50 PM
"R. A. Bilonick"

On Sun, 2010-06-20 at 11:47 -0400, R. A. Bilonick wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-06-20 at 12:19 +0200, baldyeti wrote:
> > This sounds like the problem I had under the same upgrade path.
> > Someone on the ubuntu support forum correctly suggested I was
> > missing the "gnome-compiz" package; I hope it'll work for you,
> > too...
> >
> > On 20/06/2010 06:34, R. A. Bilonick wrote:
> > > I tested 10.04 using the livecd before upgrading to 10.04 from 9.10. The
> > > windows looked fine in the live cd. You had borders around the windows
> > > with controls in the upper left for closing and resizing the windows.
> > > You had a title bar that you could grab to move the window, etc.
> > >
> > > After upgrading to 10.04, the default windows are defective. No controls
> > > and no title bar. Plus, the cpu usage now runs at 62% all the time even
> > > when not running any applications.
> > >
> > > If I change the appearance (system|preferences|appearance) and change
> > > "Visual Effects" from "none" to "normal", I get window controls and
> > > title bar, but they are not "embellished" as they should be for 10.04.
> > >
> > > Clearly, the gnome window manager or some such software did not upgrade
> > > correctly. How can I fix this? I installed LXDE and the system runs
> > > normally using LXDE (no 62% cpu usage and the window controls etc. are
> > > what you would expect). I've tried re-installing various gnome
> > > components without any improvement.
> > >

> I checked and compiz-gnome is already installed. I'm re-installing it
> and I'm going to see if that helps.
>
> I've done an extensive Internet search and one other suggestion was to
> run:
>
> > metacity --replace
>
> But that removes the controls that I get after changing from "none" to
> "normal" in Visual Effects.
>
> There were other similar suggestions for other window managers but none
> have worked. It may be connected with the Intel video chips in this
> laptop. There were some hints of a conflict between GXL (or GLX) which
> has something to do with the bit-maps that are used to overlay the
> simple buttons.

Re-installing compiz-gnome had no effect - the bit mapped buttons do not
display.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Li Li

On Sun, 2010-06-20 at 11:50 -0400, R. A. Bilonick wrote:
<big whack -- learn to trim please, people!>

> > I've done an extensive Internet search and one other suggestion was to
> > run:
> >
> > > metacity --replace
> >
> > But that removes the controls that I get after changing from "none" to
> > "normal" in Visual Effects.
> >
> > There were other similar suggestions for other window managers but none
> > have worked. It may be connected with the Intel video chips in this
> > laptop. There were some hints of a conflict between GXL (or GLX) which
> > has something to do with the bit-maps that are used to overlay the
> > simple buttons.
> >

> Re-installing compiz-gnome had no effect - the bit mapped buttons do not
> display.

I assume you want compiz to be your screen manager: make sure
compiz-settings-manager is installed (this is the big one, not the
simple settings manager). Verify with that that window decorations are
enabled and say in a terminal: compiz --replace &"

HTH

--
Lilly
godbless --everyone --no-exceptions

Old 06-20-2010, 05:18 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 11:50:45 -0400
"R. A. Bilonick" <rab@consolidated.net> wrote:

> Re-installing compiz-gnome had no effect - the bit mapped buttons do
> not display.

Do you have a window decorator installed? I use Emerald, although I
understand it is on its way out. The GTK decorator is good enough.
Control it through the Compiz Fusion icon (install it, too)>right
click.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 06-20-2010, 05:22 PM
"R. A. Bilonick"

On Sun, 2010-06-20 at 09:22 -0700, Li Li wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-06-20 at 11:50 -0400, R. A. Bilonick wrote:
> <big whack -- learn to trim please, people!>
>
> > > I've done an extensive Internet search and one other suggestion was to
> > > run:

> > > But that removes the controls that I get after changing from "none" to
> > > "normal" in Visual Effects.
> > >
> > > There were other similar suggestions for other window managers but none
> > > have worked. It may be connected with the Intel video chips in this
> > > laptop. There were some hints of a conflict between GXL (or GLX) which
> > > has something to do with the bit-maps that are used to overlay the
> > > simple buttons.
> > >

> > Re-installing compiz-gnome had no effect - the bit mapped buttons do not
> > display.
> >

> I assume you want compiz to be your screen manager: make sure
> compiz-settings-manager is installed (this is the big one, not the
> simple settings manager). Verify with that that window decorations are
> enabled and say in a terminal: compiz --replace &"
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Lilly
> godbless --everyone --no-exceptions

I've already tried this (installed compiz-settings-manager) and running
"compiz --replace" initially makes no change. I do get this warning:

WARNING: Application calling GLX 1.3 function "glXCreatePixmap" when GLX
1.3 is not supported! This is an application bug!

And then, when I exit this, the window control buttons disappear so I
have to logout and log back in to get back to where I was.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:42 PM
"R. A. Bilonick"

On Sun, 2010-06-20 at 12:18 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 11:50:45 -0400
> "R. A. Bilonick" <rab@consolidated.net> wrote:
>
> > Re-installing compiz-gnome had no effect - the bit mapped buttons do
> > not display.
>
> Do you have a window decorator installed? I use Emerald, although I
> understand it is on its way out. The GTK decorator is good enough.
> Control it through the Compiz Fusion icon (install it, too)>right
> click.
>
> Cybe R. Wizard
> --
> When Windows are opened the bugs come in.
> Winduhs

I think it is trying to use the gtk decorator. I installed emerald and
the fusion thing, but do not understand how to access it - I don't see
it any where.

I tried running 10.04 from the livecd before upgrading. Everything
worked fine, the window decorations showed up. So I'm not sure what the
problem is.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Tony Pursell

On Sun, 2010-06-20 at 13:42 -0400, R. A. Bilonick wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-06-20 at 12:18 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 11:50:45 -0400
> > "R. A. Bilonick" <rab@consolidated.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Re-installing compiz-gnome had no effect - the bit mapped buttons do
> > > not display.
> >
> > Do you have a window decorator installed? I use Emerald, although I
> > understand it is on its way out. The GTK decorator is good enough.
> > Control it through the Compiz Fusion icon (install it, too)>right
> > click.
> >
> > Cybe R. Wizard
> > --
> > When Windows are opened the bugs come in.
> > Winduhs
> >

> I think it is trying to use the gtk decorator. I installed emerald and
> the fusion thing, but do not understand how to access it - I don't see
> it any where.
>
> I tried running 10.04 from the livecd before upgrading. Everything
> worked fine, the window decorations showed up. So I'm not sure what the
> problem is.

This is all related to this bug

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session/+bug/467668

and the bugs shown as duplicates of it.

However the effect seems to be different for different people. I cured
the lack of window 'decoration' by simply re-naming ~/.compiz to
~/.compiz.old and ~/.config/gnome.session to ~/.config/gnome.session.old
and restarting. But I don't use compiz at all and I know this is not a
fix for everyone with this problem.

Like you I did not have any problems with a live USB. After upgrade, I
couldn't boot at all, so I did a re-install of Lucid keeping my home
folder.

Tony