Old 06-20-2010, 04:31 AM
Basil Chupin

Default setting up ftp and sftp servers

On 20/06/10 12:43, calcpage@aol.com wrote:
> I have a couple of really old servers. Each is a Pentium class PC with
> a small hdd, so I only run one service on each. One is an ftp server
> where I can login to upload files to share with my students that they
> can access via anonymous ftp. The other is a ssh server where I
> install software such as jdk that they need to do assignments. They
> login via sftp, write source code, compile and save their work on this
> ssh server.
>
> I just fell heir to 2 quad-core Intel Xeon boxes. So I would like to
> replace these old servers! I was looking at Ubuntu's server edition
> but see that its all command line driven, no GUI. I was wondering how
> complicated it is to add ftp and sftp services to a desktop edition? I
> could then use it as a teacher station to display my work on the PC
> projector as well.
>
> BTW, see my blog, I just blogged all about Ubuntu and this mailing list!
>
> TIA,
> A. Jorge Garcia
> http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com
>
> Teacher& Professor
> Applied Mathematics, PhysicsÂ& Computer Science
> Baldwin Senior High School& Nassau Community College

Very nice blog. I wish I had teachers/lecturers like you when I was in
high school and university.... :-) .

Good luck!

BC

--
Paranoia is simply an optimistic outlook on life.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:25 AM
Goh Lip

On 06/20/2010 10:43 AM, calcpage@aol.com wrote:

> but see that its all command line driven, no GUI.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ServerGUI
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop

> I was wondering how
> complicated it is to add ftp and sftp services to a desktop edition? I
> could then use it as a teacher station to display my work on the PC

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/remote-administration.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/openssh-server.html

But you may want to check these out first......
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/index.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ServerFaq

Regards - Goh Lip

Old 06-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Goh Lip

On 06/20/2010 03:25 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
> On 06/20/2010 10:43 AM, calcpage@aol.com wrote:

Forgot to add this....

http://www.webmin.com/
and note it is *not* recommended to add a gui to servers, see

Old 06-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Johnneylee Rollins

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 12:47 AM, Goh Lip <g.lip@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 06/20/2010 03:25 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
>> On 06/20/2010 10:43 AM, calcpage@aol.com wrote:
>

> Forgot to add this....
>
> http://www.webmin.com/
> and note it is *not* recommended to add a gui to servers, see
> *> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ServerFaq
Webmin isn't supported in ubuntu right now. I wouldn't use it. It's
potentially not safe.

~SpaceGhost

Old 06-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Goh Lip

On 06/20/2010 03:50 PM, Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 12:47 AM, Goh Lip<g.lip@gmx.com> wrote:
>> On 06/20/2010 03:25 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
>>> On 06/20/2010 10:43 AM, calcpage@aol.com wrote:
>>

>> Forgot to add this....
>>
>> http://www.webmin.com/
>> and note it is *not* recommended to add a gui to servers, see
>> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ServerFaq
> Webmin isn't supported in ubuntu right now. I wouldn't use it. It's
> potentially not safe.
>
> ~SpaceGhost

Okay, understood; but considering Jorge's application - and he is not
running a bank verification process - may be convenient and easy to
use for him. I think it's okay for him to add a gui to his servers; no,
wait, heck, I think it's okay and better to run his desktop OS as his
server.

Sometimes we point some good solutions here where some people don't know
what the heck we're talking about and don't know how to do it. Like many
here don't know his algebra talk to his high school students and some of
us had gone to universities.

I think what Jorge has done so far (ftp and ssh) is good enough for his
needs, but, if you can add more pointers for him, that will be good.

Ah well, point well taken, Johnneylee, and take care.

Regards - Goh Lip

Old 06-20-2010, 10:08 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 12:47 AM, Goh Lip <g.lip@gmx.com> wrote:
>> On 06/20/2010 03:25 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
>>> On 06/20/2010 10:43 AM, calcpage@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> Forgot to add this....
>>
>> http://www.webmin.com/
>> and note it is *not* recommended to add a gui to servers, see
>> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ServerFaq
> Webmin isn't supported in ubuntu right now. I wouldn't use it. It's
> potentially not safe.
>
> ~SpaceGhost
>> Regards - Goh Lip
>>

>> --

Johnny,
I have read that also somehwere but I use it >10 years and have never
ahd any problem with it. I would like to know what the not safe aspect
is. Of course don't publish it on the internet and have a very
restricted user list (in my case only myself and root). I agree that
username and password as security is not the safest access control, but
in 99.9% of the case, using a strong and long enough password, it is safe.
Joep

Old 06-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Johnneylee Rollins

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 3:08 AM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
>>>
>>> Forgot to add this....
>>>
>>> http://www.webmin.com/
>>> and note it is *not* recommended to add a gui to servers, see
>>> *> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ServerFaq
>> Webmin isn't supported in ubuntu right now. I wouldn't use it. It's
>> potentially not safe.
>>
>> ~SpaceGhost
>>> Regards - Goh Lip
>>>

>>> --
>>>

> Johnny,
> I have read that also somehwere but I use it >10 years and have never
> ahd any problem with it. I would like to know what the not safe aspect
> is. Of course don't publish it on the internet and have a very
> restricted user list (in my case only myself and root). I agree that
> username and password as security is not the safest access control, but
> in 99.9% of the case, using a strong and long enough password, it is safe.
> Joep

I wasn't talking secure from a hacking protection, I mean from a
software development point of view. Last time I looked, it wasn't
quite up to speed with 10.04. Here is a quote from the IRC bot for
Ubuntu's IRC channels:
/msg -FreeNode ubottu webmin
[ubottu(~ubottu@ubuntu/bot/ubottu )] webmin is no longer supported in
Debian and Ubuntu. It is not compatible with the way that Ubuntu
packages handle configuration files, and is likely to cause unexpected
issues with your system. See !ebox instead.
/msg -FreeNode ubottu ebox
[ubottu(~ubottu@ubuntu/bot/ubottu )] ebox is a web-based GUI interface
for administering a server. It is designed to work with Ubuntu/Debian
style configuration management. See
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/eBox

I hope this helps a bit.

~SpaceGhost

Old 06-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Goh Lip

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 03:18:31 -0700
Johnneylee Rollins <johnneylee.rollins@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Johnny,
> > I have read that also somehwere but I use it >10 years and have
> > never ahd any problem with it. I would like to know what the not
> > safe aspect is. Of course don't publish it on the internet and have
> > a very restricted user list (in my case only myself and root). I
> > agree that username and password as security is not the safest
> > access control, but in 99.9% of the case, using a strong and long
> > enough password, it is safe. Joep
> >
> I wasn't talking secure from a hacking protection, I mean from a
> software development point of view. Last time I looked, it wasn't
> quite up to speed with 10.04. Here is a quote from the IRC bot for
> Ubuntu's IRC channels:
> /msg -FreeNode ubottu webmin
> [ubottu(~ubottu@ubuntu/bot/ubottu )] webmin is no longer supported in
> Debian and Ubuntu. It is not compatible with the way that Ubuntu
> packages handle configuration files, and is likely to cause unexpected
> issues with your system. See !ebox instead.
> /msg -FreeNode ubottu ebox
> [ubottu(~ubottu@ubuntu/bot/ubottu )] ebox is a web-based GUI interface
> for administering a server. It is designed to work with Ubuntu/Debian
> style configuration management. See
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/eBox
>
> I hope this helps a bit.
>
> ~SpaceGhost

Further to add...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WebMin
https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/2873
http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2006/01/msg00124.html

Regards - Goh Lip

Old 06-20-2010, 11:02 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

Goh Lip wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 03:18:31 -0700
> Johnneylee Rollins <johnneylee.rollins@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Johnny,
>>> I have read that also somehwere but I use it >10 years and have
>>> never ahd any problem with it. I would like to know what the not
>>> safe aspect is. Of course don't publish it on the internet and have
>>> a very restricted user list (in my case only myself and root). I
>>> agree that username and password as security is not the safest
>>> access control, but in 99.9% of the case, using a strong and long
>>> enough password, it is safe. Joep
>>>
>> I wasn't talking secure from a hacking protection, I mean from a
>> software development point of view. Last time I looked, it wasn't
>> quite up to speed with 10.04. Here is a quote from the IRC bot for
>> Ubuntu's IRC channels:
>> /msg -FreeNode ubottu webmin
>> [ubottu(~ubottu@ubuntu/bot/ubottu )] webmin is no longer supported in
>> Debian and Ubuntu. It is not compatible with the way that Ubuntu
>> packages handle configuration files, and is likely to cause unexpected
>> issues with your system. See !ebox instead.
>> /msg -FreeNode ubottu ebox
>> [ubottu(~ubottu@ubuntu/bot/ubottu )] ebox is a web-based GUI interface
>> for administering a server. It is designed to work with Ubuntu/Debian
>> style configuration management. See
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/eBox
>>
>> I hope this helps a bit.
>>
>> ~SpaceGhost
>

> Further to add...
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WebMin
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/2873
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2006/01/msg00124.html
>
> Regards - Goh Lip

Goh Lip,
I read the bug reports but other than "..to remove this crap.." no
reasonable explanation is given other than".. the config files do not
comply with Debian standards ..( or wording to that effect).
If Pulseaudio is well within the Debian standards I think the Debian
developers have no idea how to comply to real well written standards
which, moreover, I cannot find.
Joep

Old 06-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Goh Lip

On 06/20/2010 07:02 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> Goh Lip wrote:

> Goh Lip,
> I read the bug reports but other than "..to remove this crap.." no
> reasonable explanation is given other than".. the config files do not
> comply with Debian standards ..( or wording to that effect).
> If Pulseaudio is well within the Debian standards I think the Debian
> developers have no idea how to comply to real well written standards
> which, moreover, I cannot find.
> Joep

Joep, I really have no opinion on this. I just get the feeling that it
was no longer maintained and the developer wants it to be removed from
the repositories, so I guess debian and hence ubuntu have to find other
alternatives, not that it is not safe. But really I don't know exactly.

But if it not maintained, it may cause dependency problems like perl
etc.. see
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/webmin-installation-and-configuration-in-ubuntu-linux.html

Take care, regards - Goh Lip