Old 06-20-2010, 02:43 AM

Default setting up ftp and sftp servers

I have a couple of really old servers. Each is a Pentium class PC with
a small hdd, so I only run one service on each. One is an ftp server
where I can login to upload files to share with my students that they
can access via anonymous ftp. The other is a ssh server where I
install software such as jdk that they need to do assignments. They
login via sftp, write source code, compile and save their work on this
ssh server.

I just fell heir to 2 quad-core Intel Xeon boxes. So I would like to
replace these old servers! I was looking at Ubuntu's server edition
but see that its all command line driven, no GUI. I was wondering how
complicated it is to add ftp and sftp services to a desktop edition? I
could then use it as a teacher station to display my work on the PC
projector as well.

BTW, see my blog, I just blogged all about Ubuntu and this mailing list!

TIA,
A. Jorge Garcia
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com

Teacher & Professor
Applied Mathematics, Physics*& Computer Science
Baldwin Senior High School & Nassau Community College