Old 11-23-2007, 06:20 PM
David Vincent

Default How do I get back...

Michael wrote:

> When Ubuntu is first installed to a system with a wifi card it has a
> panel applet that shows what networks are available. I lost that and
> can't find a way to get it back. Can someone tell me what it is called
> or where I can find it. I found a few that do the same thing but I like
> the original.

That is called NetworkManager. Perhaps you turned it off in the
Sessions applet?

System --> Preferences --> Sessions --> Startup Programs tab

It will also disappear if you remove the "Notification Area" from your
panel. Right-click your panel, choose "Add to Panel", scroll to the
bottom to the "Utilities" section and try to add it back - you will get
notified if one is already there, you are only allowed to add one to
your panel.

You can also disable it by placing some special files in /etc/default,
look for two files there named NetworkManager and
NetworkManagerDispatcher. If they exist *and* if they contain the word
"exit" NetworkManager will not start when the system boots. Remove them
and it will startup again on the next boot.

You can also disable it by uninstalling it - did you do that perhaps?

-d

Old 11-23-2007, 06:24 PM
Michael

Michael wrote:
> When Ubuntu is first installed to a system with a wifi card it has a
> panel applet that shows what networks are available. I lost that and
> can't find a way to get it back. Can someone tell me what it is called
> or where I can find it. I found a few that do the same thing but I like
> the original.
>
> Thanks

Never mind, I just found it. "Notification area" is the applet that
does that.