Old 11-23-2007, 05:36 PM
"Jimmy Wu"

Default annoying Gnome keyboard settings pop-up

On Nov 22, 2007 1:46 PM, Florin Andrei <florin@andrei.myip.org> wrote:

Alex Janssen wrote:
> I'd tell it to use the X settings. *That'll stop the pop-up.

It doesn't.

> You can
> always change it via System->Preferences->Keyboard.

There was only one thing to select there, I did, it didn't help.

But the thing is - why did this problem appear? Something messed up the
keyboard settings, something related to Compiz.

--
Florin Andrei

The problem is that GNOME and X don't agree on what keyboard model you have (X says pc 101 and GNOME thinks it's pc 105).* Changing you settings so X and GNOME agree should get rid of the popup.*

If you have a 105 key keyboard, you can fix the entry in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf (under Section "InputDevice", Option "XkbModel", change it to "pc105").* If you have the pc 101, then in your GNOME Keyboard Preferences, hit the Choose... button next to where it says Keyboard Model: Generic 105-key (Intl) PC and choose the 101 Keyboard.

I have no idea how or why Compiz would change your keyboard settings, so I don't know if that is strictly related.

HTH,

Jimmy
--
Registered Linux User #454138