Old 05-16-2010, 07:04 PM
zongo saiba

Default libdvdread4

On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 20:43 +0200, Thibaut wrote:
> Hi
>
> i'm trying to encode a dvd with ogmrip with kubuntu 10.4 in french
>
> here is the error message:
>
> mplayer -nolirc -nosound -nocache -noconfig all -v -benchmark -vo null
> -vf pullup -dvdangle 1 -frames 500 -dvd-device /media/dvdtitle dvd://1
> libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
> ** **
> ** No css library available. See **
> ** /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/README.Debian **
> ** for more information. **
> ** **
>

> but libdvdread4 is installed (sudo apt-get install libdvdread4)
>
> do you have any idea how to read this DVD ?
>
> t.

Commercial DVDs are encrypted with CSS (Content Scrambling System. To
bypass this security, you need to install "libdvdcss2". In 10.4 start by
installing libdvdread 4 --> It looks like you have it already... Then,
open a terminal and type:
$ sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
This script should take care of installing the missing part which is
"libdvdcss2"

Kind Regards,

zongo

Old 05-17-2010, 02:07 AM
stan

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 08:04:25PM +0100, zongo saiba wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 20:43 +0200, Thibaut wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > i'm trying to encode a dvd with ogmrip with kubuntu 10.4 in french
> >
> > here is the error message:
> >
> > mplayer -nolirc -nosound -nocache -noconfig all -v -benchmark -vo null
> > -vf pullup -dvdangle 1 -frames 500 -dvd-device /media/dvdtitle dvd://1
> > libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
> > ** **
> > ** No css library available. See **
> > ** /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/README.Debian **
> > ** for more information. **
> > ** **
> >

> > but libdvdread4 is installed (sudo apt-get install libdvdread4)
> >
> > do you have any idea how to read this DVD ?
> >
> > t.
> >

> Commercial DVDs are encrypted with CSS (Content Scrambling System. To
> bypass this security, you need to install "libdvdcss2". In 10.4 start by
> installing libdvdread 4 --> It looks like you have it already... Then,
> open a terminal and type:
> $ sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
> This script should take care of installing the missing part which is
> "libdvdcss2"

I did just this todau, and I still cannot play comercial DVD's. What can I
do to troubleshoot this? O have tried movieplayer, and at least one other
player.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Karl Larsen

On 05/16/2010 08:07 PM, stan wrote:
> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 08:04:25PM +0100, zongo saiba wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 20:43 +0200, Thibaut wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> i'm trying to encode a dvd with ogmrip with kubuntu 10.4 in french
>>>
>>> here is the error message:
>>>
>>> mplayer -nolirc -nosound -nocache -noconfig all -v -benchmark -vo null
>>> -vf pullup -dvdangle 1 -frames 500 -dvd-device /media/dvdtitle dvd://1
>>> libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
>>> ************************************************
>>> ** **
>>> ** No css library available. See **
>>> ** /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/README.Debian **
>>> ** for more information. **
>>> ** **
>>> ************************************************
>>>

>>> but libdvdread4 is installed (sudo apt-get install libdvdread4)
>>>
>>> do you have any idea how to read this DVD ?
>>>
>>> t.
>>>

>> Commercial DVDs are encrypted with CSS (Content Scrambling System. To
>> bypass this security, you need to install "libdvdcss2". In 10.4 start by
>> installing libdvdread 4 --> It looks like you have it already... Then,
>> open a terminal and type:
>> $ sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
>> This script should take care of installing the missing part which is
>> "libdvdcss2"
>>

> I did just this todau, and I still cannot play comercial DVD's. What can I
> do to troubleshoot this? O have tried movieplayer, and at least one other
> player.

Please goto to this webpage and follow instructions:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Johnneylee Rollins

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 4:40 AM, Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/16/2010 08:07 PM, stan wrote:

>>> Commercial DVDs are encrypted with CSS (Content Scrambling System. To
>>> bypass this security, you need to install "libdvdcss2". In 10.4 start by
>>> installing libdvdread 4 --> *It looks like you have it already... Then,
>>> open a terminal and type:
>>> $ sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
>>> This script should take care of installing the missing part which is
>>> "libdvdcss2"
>>>

>> I did just this todau, and I still cannot play comercial DVD's. What can I
>> do to troubleshoot this? O have tried movieplayer, and at least one other
>> player.
>>

> * * * * Please goto to this webpage and follow instructions:
>
> * * * * https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Problem already solved. (see below)

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Thibaut <thibaut78400@free.fr> wrote:
> thanks, it works for me!
>
> On 16/05/2010 21:04, zongo saiba wrote:
>> $ sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

~SpaceGhost

Old 05-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Karl Larsen

On 05/17/2010 05:43 AM, Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 4:40 AM, Karl Larsen<klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I did just this todau, and I still cannot play comercial DVD's. What can I
>>> do to troubleshoot this? O have tried movieplayer, and at least one other
>>> player.
>>>

>> Please goto to this webpage and follow instructions:
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu
>>
> Problem already solved. (see below)
>
> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Thibaut<thibaut78400@free.fr> wrote:
>
>> thanks, it works for me!
>>
>> On 16/05/2010 21:04, zongo saiba wrote:
>>
>>> $ sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
>>>
> ~SpaceGhost

I went to the /usr/share//doc/libdvdread4/ directory and discovered
a file install-css.sh which when I read this file it does go to the
webpage I provided. I was not aware of this method.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-17-2010, 02:17 PM
stan

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 07:26:19AM -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> On 05/17/2010 05:43 AM, Johnneylee Rollins wrote:

> >> Please goto to this webpage and follow instructions:
> >>
> >> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu
> >>
> > Problem already solved. (see below)
> >
> > On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Thibaut<thibaut78400@free.fr> wrote:
> >
> >> thanks, it works for me!

> > ~SpaceGhost
> >

> I went to the /usr/share//doc/libdvdread4/ directory and discovered
> a file install-css.sh which when I read this file it does go to the
> webpage I provided. I was not aware of this method.

Bummer, I was hoping that when I tried this later, it would solve my
issues. So, given that this won't change anything, I am back to my original
question. How do I troubleshoot this problem?

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-17-2010, 02:48 PM

System. To

What can I

> >> Please goto to this webpage and follow instructions:
> >>
> >> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu
> >>
> > Problem already solved. (see below)
> >
> > On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Thibaut<thibaut78400@free.fr>
wrote:

> >> thanks, it works for me!

> > ~SpaceGhost
> >

> I went to the /usr/share//doc/libdvdread4/ directory and
discovered
> a file install-css.sh which when I read this file it does go to the
> webpage I provided. I was not aware of this method.

: Bummer, I was hoping that when I tried this later, it would solve my
: issues. So, given that this won't change anything, I am back to my
original
: question. How do I troubleshoot this problem?

You could check the logs and see if there are some hints there. IMO,
there is probably a file on your system that is not getting modified or
updated, most likely due to permissions or it is not where it is
suppose to be (link broken). You don't provide a history on this
system as to if it was a fresh install or an upgrade. You can spend a
lot of time trying to figure out what is broken or just start over with
a fresh install and follow the procedure for enabling playing and
recording DVDs that are well documented.

Clint