Old 05-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Gilles Gravier

Default My slowest machine now running Ubuntu 10.04

Hi gang!
Just a fun heads-up. My old Sony Vaio PCG-Z505HE (320 MB RAM, 450 MHz CPU, 8.2 GB hard disk) is now running nicely with a fresh install of 10.04 (from alternate CD, since with that amount of RAM, normal Live CD doesn't run well).

I've configured 1GB swap... and the machine... swaps like hell... I wish I could add more RAM, but I've maxed it out, I think. Anyways, it was mostly a proof-of-concept test.

Note that the machine has no onboard WiFi, so I had to use a PC-CARD for that. My old ORINOCO Golds don't work with 10.04, so I had to find a spare D-Link DWL-650+ PC-CARD, which works with NDISWRAPPERS, and configured through ndisgtk GUI using the official Windows XP drivers downloaded from the D-Link site.

Graphics works in 2D. Mouse pad works. Audio works. I haven't yet installed the drivers for the Sony Vayo scroll wheel... but I know they are there somewhere.
All in all, a fun, interesting, and positive experience (I'm using this machine to write this e-mail).

Cheers,Gilles
--
Gilles Gravier - ggravier@fsfe.org
Using Google Apps web mail

Old 05-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Christopher Rob JONES

> I've configured 1GB swap... and the machine... swaps like hell... I wish
> I could add more RAM, but I've maxed it out, I think. Anyways, it was
> mostly a proof-of-concept test.

try xfce via xubuntu instead of a full gnome session (ubuntu). Requires
less resources.

> sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Chris

Old 05-16-2010, 06:05 PM
"Arthur H. Johnson II"

On Sun, 16 May 2010, Christopher Rob JONES wrote:

>> I've configured 1GB swap... and the machine... swaps like hell... I wish
>> I could add more RAM, but I've maxed it out, I think. Anyways, it was
>> mostly a proof-of-concept test.
>
> try xfce via xubuntu instead of a full gnome session (ubuntu). Requires
> less resources.
>
> > sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
>
> Chris

I agree. I have a machine with less RAM than that, and it runs great with
Xubuntu.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Gilles Gravier

Hum...

On 16/05/2010 20:05, Arthur H. Johnson II wrote:
> On Sun, 16 May 2010, Christopher Rob JONES wrote:
>

>>> I've configured 1GB swap... and the machine... swaps like hell... I wish
>>> I could add more RAM, but I've maxed it out, I think. Anyways, it was
>>> mostly a proof-of-concept test.
>>>
>> try xfce via xubuntu instead of a full gnome session (ubuntu). Requires
>> less resources.
>>
>> > sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
>>
>> Chris
>>

> I agree. I have a machine with less RAM than that, and it runs great with
> Xubuntu.

So... Installed xubuntu desktop.

Logged into Xfce... Noticed one difference with default GNOME... Xfce
has one panel on the desktop (bottom bar)... GNOME uses 2 by default. So
I removed one from GNOME and put everything (like Xfce does) into a
single pannel. Then I removed all the 4 virtual screens and the virtual
screen selector... both in GNOME and Xfce.

Then I did a test :

Boot. Wait till hard disk stops activity.
Select session (GNOME or Xfce) and log in.
Wait till hard disk stops activity.
Open a shell and launch "top".
Look at Mem used and Swap used.
Both are now at 0 Swap (this is good).

Mem used in GNOME : 292560
Mem used in Xfce : 271196

Who says GNOME is a hog? Just 20MB more. And one of the boots actually
had GNOME using 266390 MB of RAM.

Now I need to tune what services I really need.

Gilles.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Allan Javier Aguilar Castillo