Old 05-16-2010, 08:29 AM
KOGA Takeshi

Default After upgrading from 9.10 to 10.04, no sound output

Hello all

Last week I upgraded my ubuntu machine from 9.10 to 10.04.
It was succeeded on the whole, and I have gotten the issue of this mail subject.
On ubuntu 9.10, my machine was fine to output the sound. But now state
is different.

I find below state on my machine.
I suspect that /proc/asound/version should be 1.0.22.
If anyone have a idea to do that I should do the next, please tell me it.

$ cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.

$ dpkg -l | grep alsa
ii alsa-base 1.0.22.1+dfsg-0ubuntu3
ALSA driver configuration files
ii alsa-utils 1.0.22-0ubuntu5
ALSA utilities
ii bluez-alsa 4.60-0ubuntu8
Bluetooth audio support
ii gstreamer0.10-alsa 0.10.28-1
GStreamer plugin for ALSA
ii libesd-alsa0 0.2.41-6ubuntu1
Enlightened Sound Daemon (ALSA) - transition
rc libsdl1.2debian-alsa 1.2.13-4ubuntu4
Simple DirectMedia Layer (with X11 and ALSA

--
From Saitama, Japan

Old 05-16-2010, 08:59 AM
zongo saiba

On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 17:29 +0900, KOGA Takeshi wrote:
> Hello all
>
> Last week I upgraded my ubuntu machine from 9.10 to 10.04.
> It was succeeded on the whole, and I have gotten the issue of this mail subject.
> On ubuntu 9.10, my machine was fine to output the sound. But now state
> is different.
>
> I find below state on my machine.
> I suspect that /proc/asound/version should be 1.0.22.
> If anyone have a idea to do that I should do the next, please tell me it.
>

> $ cat /proc/asound/version
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.
>
> $ dpkg -l | grep alsa
> ii alsa-base 1.0.22.1+dfsg-0ubuntu3
> ALSA driver configuration files
> ii alsa-utils 1.0.22-0ubuntu5
> ALSA utilities
> ii bluez-alsa 4.60-0ubuntu8
> Bluetooth audio support
> ii gstreamer0.10-alsa 0.10.28-1
> GStreamer plugin for ALSA
> ii libesd-alsa0 0.2.41-6ubuntu1
> Enlightened Sound Daemon (ALSA) - transition
> rc libsdl1.2debian-alsa 1.2.13-4ubuntu4
> Simple DirectMedia Layer (with X11 and ALSA
>
> --
> From Saitama, Japan

Upgrading or doing a clean install will leave you with alsa 1.0.21. I
did both a while back (an upgrade and a clean install to 10.0.4 from
9.10) and every single time I ended up with alsa 1.0.21. I had
previously upgraded to 1.0.22 when I was uing 9.10. I am now using
10.0.4 with the latest Alsa drivers 1.0.23. So I would suggest that you
do an upgrade to 1.0.23 if of course you deem that suitable for your
system. I did it on mine because my sound card hda-intel is better
supported in alsa 1.0.23.

Let me know if you have any issue

Kind Regards,

Zongo

Old 05-23-2010, 07:48 AM
KOGA Takeshi

2010/5/16, zongo saiba <zongosaiba@gmail.com>:
> On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 17:29 +0900, KOGA Takeshi wrote:
>> Hello all
>>
>> Last week I upgraded my ubuntu machine from 9.10 to 10.04.
>> It was succeeded on the whole, and I have gotten the issue of this mail
>> subject.
>> On ubuntu 9.10, my machine was fine to output the sound. But now state
>> is different.
>>
>> I find below state on my machine.
>> I suspect that /proc/asound/version should be 1.0.22.
>> If anyone have a idea to do that I should do the next, please tell me it.
>>

>> $ cat /proc/asound/version
>> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.
>>
>> $ dpkg -l | grep alsa
>> ii alsa-base 1.0.22.1+dfsg-0ubuntu3
>> ALSA driver configuration files
>> ii alsa-utils 1.0.22-0ubuntu5
>> ALSA utilities
>> ii bluez-alsa 4.60-0ubuntu8
>> Bluetooth audio support
>> ii gstreamer0.10-alsa 0.10.28-1
>> GStreamer plugin for ALSA
>> ii libesd-alsa0 0.2.41-6ubuntu1
>> Enlightened Sound Daemon (ALSA) - transition
>> rc libsdl1.2debian-alsa 1.2.13-4ubuntu4
>> Simple DirectMedia Layer (with X11 and ALSA
>>
>> --
>> From Saitama, Japan
>>

> Upgrading or doing a clean install will leave you with alsa 1.0.21. I
> did both a while back (an upgrade and a clean install to 10.0.4 from
> 9.10) and every single time I ended up with alsa 1.0.21. I had
> previously upgraded to 1.0.22 when I was uing 9.10. I am now using
> 10.0.4 with the latest Alsa drivers 1.0.23. So I would suggest that you
> do an upgrade to 1.0.23 if of course you deem that suitable for your
> system. I did it on mine because my sound card hda-intel is better
> supported in alsa 1.0.23.
>
> Let me know if you have any issue
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Zongo

Hello,

I re-installed below packages with synaptic package manager.
But my machine status has not been changed.

alsa-base 1.0.22.1+dfsg-0ubuntu3
linux-sound-base 1.0.22.1+dfsg-0ubuntu3
alsa-utils 1.0.22-0ubuntu3

Next I would upgrade alsa to 1.0.23, but it hasn't been released on
official packages.
It's possible to install the alsa 1.0.23 with compiling from source code,
but I don't want to do so.
Because I worry about my linux skill and the conflict of the official package
update in future.

I found below webpage. It is expected that the package update related sound in
future.
https://edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-audio-dev/+archive/ppa

So I wait alsa-* package update in official for the present.