-   -   wwwh.found-not-help.com (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/3716-wwwh-found-not-help-com.html)

Derek Broughton 11-23-2007 04:15 PM

wwwh.found-not-help.com

Peter Garrett wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 11:44:02 -0400
> Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>
>> fwiw, what prinicple do people find objectionable about openDNS?
>
> Some discussion of the setup here:
>
> http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2006/07/71345
>
> Some people thought it was Verisign's "Site Finder" all over again...
>
> I used OpenDNS for a while, and didn't find the occasional ad when I typed
> the wrong thing objectionable.
>
> YMMV, as the cliché goes :-)

OK - funny how I didn't get any of that from the OpenDNS site when I went
looking at it a week or so ago...

it seems somewhat pointless to change my DNS because I find the ads
annoying - just to go to OpenDNS where I can get ads...
--
derek

Derek Broughton 11-23-2007 04:34 PM

wwwh.found-not-help.com

W.D.McKinney wrote:

> We use djbdns as it doesn't need continual updates like bind and the
> others.

That hardly seems relevant - or even really correct. If bind has a security
problem, it'll get auto-updated from the repos by my system. If djbdns has
a security problem, I'll have to get it manually. Which one is less
trouble?

But as to its relevance to my situation, I don't have any problem with the
DNS on my own systems - but the modem forces all Internet DNS traffic to go
to HughesNet's DNS, and that system pops up the adware when a lookup fails.
--
derek