Old 05-15-2010, 04:20 PM
terry

Default pc doesnt recognize cd i give up7

On 05/15/2010 11:19 AM, ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> Except for the motherboard I believe, I have described the spec several
> times already.
> And for the motherboard - no offense, but I have no idea.
> Do I HAVE to know that???
> I recently bought a new car. Although I do not know the exact
> construction of the engine or
> what alloy is used for the cylinder heads -- I still can drive it.

do so. im sure when you bought the car you looked at the engine, or
later checked fluids. learn anything to help your comuter. p---- poor
analogy. did you follow any suggestions? low burn rate seems excellent!
knowing mboard might trigger someones memory as to a bug with the
mboard. you whine too much.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Thomas Blasejewicz

terry さんは書きました:
> mboard. you whine too much.

Thank you.
I am sure, you are right.

I wrote this before: over the last +3 years I have spent substantially
(2-3x) more time and effort on Linux than what I have invested in ALL my
other computers over the last 25 years put together. If a direct
conversion were permissible, that would amount to 50-70 years of efforts
spent on Linux.
Is that considered normal?

Here is the situation:
* I need a computer to do my work.
* I must be able to write in 3 different languages;
* look up a bunch of dictionaries;
* send/receive mails;
* maybe check things out on the net;
* everything else is not really important.
If that works, I don't really care about *how* the computer achieves that.
I WANT to get away from MS, but so far Linux has not helped.
Apparently many people have positive experiences with Linux.
But given the 50 years worth of effort, am I really whining to much?

Old 05-19-2010, 02:39 AM
NoOp

On 05/17/2010 06:26 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:

> terry さんは書きました:
>> mboard. you whine too much.
>>

> Thank you.
> I am sure, you are right.
>
> I wrote this before: over the last +3 years I have spent substantially
> (2-3x) more time and effort on Linux than what I have invested in ALL my
> other computers over the last 25 years put together. If a direct
> conversion were permissible, that would amount to 50-70 years of efforts
> spent on Linux.
> Is that considered normal?
>
> Here is the situation:
> * I need a computer to do my work.
> * I must be able to write in 3 different languages;
> * look up a bunch of dictionaries;
> * send/receive mails;
> * maybe check things out on the net;
> * everything else is not really important.
> If that works, I don't really care about *how* the computer achieves that.
> I WANT to get away from MS, but so far Linux has not helped.
> Apparently many people have positive experiences with Linux.
> But given the 50 years worth of effort, am I really whining to much?

Perhaps.

Ubuntu seems to install just fine on your children's computers as well
as others - so it appears to be a hardware issue with the systems you
bought off of the equivalent of eBay in Japan.
Others on this list have tried to assist; recommending you upgrade
from 9.04 to 9.10 to 10.04 in place on the problem computer, asked you
to perform a few simple tasks ('sudo lshw > mycomputer.txt' whatever &
post to pastebin), etc., etc., etc. And yet you seem to spend more time
posting as above rather than following the advise.

If you'd like... I'll bite and try to assist you off-list. Drop me a
note directly and I'll try to help you sort out the problem.

Added note: I lived in Japan for over 5 years (1975-1981) so I'm quite
familiar with the country etc. However I've not used Japanese for over
20 years, so please keep everything in English.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:22 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 11:39 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Added note: I lived in Japan for over 5 years (1975-1981) so I'm quite
> familiar with the country etc. However I've not used Japanese for over
> 20 years, so please keep everything in English.
>
> --

Dammit, NoOp in Japanese, 驚かせること this guy is terrible...

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Lat.: 23°34'4.79"S - Long.: 46°39'59.53"W