FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Karl Larsen
 
Default PC does not recognize live CD - I give up!

On 05/15/2010 08:52 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
> Basil Chupin さんは書きました:
>
>> On 13/05/10 23:56, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>>
>> I take it that what you are saying here is that the disc boots OK on all
>> other computers EXCEPT your own. Am I correct in this?
>>
>>
>>
> Good evening from Japan
> I am really sorry to have wasted your time on this.
> Today I went (rather drove) to a computer shop and spoke with the people
> there about the problem.
> Response: incomprehensible! Maybe the motherboard or some other piece of
> hardware somewhere
> does not feel like working with Linux ....
> (some disks boot, others not; is Linux 'just' moody?)
>
> So ... what would be the conclusions?
> Linux works ONLY with some very selected pieces of highly advanced hardware?
> It requires that you have a team of highly educated technicicans available?
>
> For a non-computer freak = an average consumer = me,
> there is *DEFINITELY* (my experience after +3 years of trying) nothing
> user-friendly, easy, or for that matter better in Linux than in the
> despised "Windoze";
> regarding the present problem I asked questions here and elsewhere, very
> knowledgable personsin private, the professionals in a computer shop =
> nowhere anybody can come up with solutions to something that should not
> be a problem in the first place ...
>
> By now I have given up hope and consider this case closed.
> (maybe some people even remember that I caused some commotion with a
> similar problem several months ago, when I could not "mount" a floppy
> under 9.10 - which later, after a very unpleasant discussion, turned out
> to be a bug in 9.10; that too was a problem that should not even exist
> in the first place ...)
>
> Thank you for all your advice.
> Signing off.
>
>
>
When you decide to try again, start out with DETAILS about your
computer :-)

If you bought the computer tell us the name and model, or say you
built it. Tell us which mother board your using, and how much RAM.
Things will work about 95% of the time.

73 Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
Key ID = 3951B48D



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-15-2010, 03:07 PM
 
Default PC does not recognize live CD - I give up!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Blasejewicz" <thomas@s7.dion.ne.jp>
To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2010 10:52:12 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: PC does not recognize live CD - I give up!

Basil Chupin さんは書きました:
> On 13/05/10 23:56, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
> *
> I take it that what you are saying here is that the disc boots OK on all
> other computers EXCEPT your own. Am I correct in this?
> *
>
Good evening from Japan
I am really sorry to have wasted your time on this.
Today I went (rather drove) to a computer shop and spoke with the people
there about the problem.
Response: incomprehensible! Maybe the motherboard or some other piece of
hardware somewhere
does not feel like working with Linux ....
(some disks boot, others not; is Linux 'just' moody?)

So ... what would be the conclusions?
Linux works ONLY with some very selected pieces of highly advanced hardware?
It requires that you have a team of highly educated technicicans available?

For a non-computer freak = an average consumer = me,
there is *DEFINITELY* (my experience after +3 years of trying) nothing
user-friendly, easy, or for that matter better in Linux than in the
despised "Windoze";
regarding the present problem I asked questions here and elsewhere, very
knowledgable personsin private, the professionals in a computer shop =
nowhere anybody can come up with solutions to something that should not
be a problem in the first place ...

By now I have given up hope and consider this case closed.
(maybe some people even remember that I caused some commotion with a
similar problem several months ago, when I could not "mount" a floppy
under 9.10 - which later, after a very unpleasant discussion, turned out
to be a bug in 9.10; that too was a problem that should not even exist
in the first place ...)

Thank you for all your advice.
Signing off.






For what it's worth, I once had a situation where a CD booted OK on several computers, but not on one that I wanted to install *buntu to. *The cause was that I burned the disk at too high a speed...disc errors I suppose. *After burning the disc at 4X (instead of 48X), it worked fine.
Paul--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Thomas Blasejewicz
 
Default PC does not recognize live CD - I give up!

Karl Larsen さんは書きました:
> On 05/15/2010 08:52 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>
>> Basil Chupin さんは書きました:
>>
>>
>>> On 13/05/10 23:56, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> Thank you for all your advice.
>>> Signing off.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
> When you decide to try again, start out with DETAILS about your
> computer :-)
>
> If you bought the computer tell us the name and model, or say you
> built it. Tell us which mother board your using, and how much RAM.
> Things will work about 95% of the time.
>
> 73 Karl
>
>
Except for the motherboard I believe, I have described the spec several
times already.
And for the motherboard - no offense, but I have no idea.
Do I HAVE to know that???
I recently bought a new car. Although I do not know the exact
construction of the engine or
what alloy is used for the cylinder heads -- I still can drive it.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Karl Larsen
 
Default PC does not recognize live CD - I give up!

On 05/15/2010 09:19 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>
> Karl Larsen さんは書きました:
>
>> On 05/15/2010 08:52 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Basil Chupin さんは書きました:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> On 13/05/10 23:56, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Thank you for all your advice.
>>>> Signing off.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>> When you decide to try again, start out with DETAILS about your
>> computer :-)
>>
>> If you bought the computer tell us the name and model, or say you
>> built it. Tell us which mother board your using, and how much RAM.
>> Things will work about 95% of the time.
>>
>> 73 Karl
>>
>>
>>
> Except for the motherboard I believe, I have described the spec several
> times already.
> And for the motherboard - no offense, but I have no idea.
> Do I HAVE to know that???
>
Yes you do. Also you need to set up your BIOS (on the
motherboard) to accept a good system like Linux. I used the automatic
setup on mine and it works fine. Look at the motherboard and it's name
and model is there somewhere. Write it down :-(




> I recently bought a new car. Although I do not know the exact
> construction of the engine or
> what alloy is used for the cylinder heads -- I still can drive it.
>
>
Your new car if in the USA is very poor. I want a new car but
cannot find what I want.

73 Karl




--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
Key ID = 3951B48D



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-15-2010, 04:58 PM
NoOp
 
Default PC does not recognize live CD - I give up!

On 05/15/2010 08:19 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>
>
> Karl Larsen さんは書きました:
...
>> When you decide to try again, start out with DETAILS about your
>> computer :-)
>>
>> If you bought the computer tell us the name and model, or say you
>> built it. Tell us which mother board your using, and how much RAM.
>> Things will work about 95% of the time.
>>
>> 73 Karl
>>
>>
> Except for the motherboard I believe, I have described the spec several
> times already.
> And for the motherboard - no offense, but I have no idea.
> Do I HAVE to know that???
> I recently bought a new car. Although I do not know the exact
> construction of the engine or
> what alloy is used for the cylinder heads -- I still can drive it.
>

From the problem computer that you can boot 9.04, open a terminal and enter:

$ sudo lshw > lshwtomscomputer.txt

Now open the file in gedit (or your favorite text editor):

$ gedit lshwtomscomputer.txt

Now to go:

http://pastebin.org/
or
http://paste.ubuntu.com/

and paste the contents of that file into the box provided. Then post
back here with the url to the pastbin. Note: please make sure that the
file contents are english :-)

That file will detail your hardware, including motherboard, bios version
etc., etc.




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:14 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org