Old 05-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Larry Shields

Default What format to use...???

On 05/15/2010 07:51 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:

On 15/05/10 22:30, Larry Shields wrote:

*I would like to know what format to use after downloading a movie...I
have burned it to a dvd, it plays well on the pc, but not at all when
I tried to watch it on TV...

I know there are many formats one can use, but which one would be the
best to use...

Also which video converter is the best for this...???

Thanks Larry*

Have a look here (as a starting point):

http://www.videohelp.com/articles

BC

Hello Basil,

Thanks for the link, but I am still reading and trying different
programs to find the best one to convert AVI to VOB...I think that is
what I need...

Larry

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 10.4 Lucid

Reg# Linux User 484593

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 05-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Basil Chupin

On 16/05/10 00:40, Larry Shields wrote:
> On 05/15/2010 07:51 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> On 15/05/10 22:30, Larry Shields wrote:
>>
>>> *I would like to know what format to use after downloading a movie...I
>>> have burned it to a dvd, it plays well on the pc, but not at all when
>>> I tried to watch it on TV...
>>>
>>> I know there are many formats one can use, but which one would be the
>>> best to use...
>>>
>>> Also which video converter is the best for this...???
>>>
>>> Thanks Larry*
>>>
>> Have a look here (as a starting point):
>>
>> http://www.videohelp.com/articles
>>
>> BC
>>

> *Hello Basil,
>
> Thanks for the link, but I am still reading and trying different
> programs to find the best one to convert AVI to VOB...I think that is
> what I need...
>
> Larry
> *

Do a search on avi to vob and you will find quite a number of 'hits'.
But have you looked at either avidemux or cinelerra?

BC

--
ATTORNEY: So the date of conception (of the baby) was August 8th?
WITNESS: Yes.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Christoph Bier

Larry Shields schrieb am 15.05.2010 14:30:

> *I would like to know what format to use after downloading a movie...I
> have burned it to a dvd, it plays well on the pc, but not at all when I
> tried to watch it on TV...
>
> I know there are many formats one can use, but which one would be the
> best to use...
>
> Also which video converter is the best for this...???

You do not need to care about formats. Just use DeVeDe for creation
of video DVD.

HTH

Best
Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln (1.7): http://zvisionwelt.de/?page_id=56

Old 05-16-2010, 02:22 AM
Basil Chupin

On 16/05/10 01:37, Christoph Bier wrote:
> Larry Shields schrieb am 15.05.2010 14:30:
>

>> *I would like to know what format to use after downloading a movie...I
>> have burned it to a dvd, it plays well on the pc, but not at all when I
>> tried to watch it on TV...
>>
>> I know there are many formats one can use, but which one would be the
>> best to use...
>>
>> Also which video converter is the best for this...???
>>
> You do not need to care about formats. Just use DeVeDe for creation
> of video DVD.
>
> HTH
>
> Best
> Christoph

Neat. Thanks for this. Now added to my audio/video tools library.

BC

Old 05-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Larry Shields

On 05/15/2010 09:22 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:

On 16/05/10 01:37, Christoph Bier wrote:

Larry Shields schrieb am 15.05.2010 14:30:

*I would like to know what format to use after downloading a movie...I
have burned it to a dvd, it plays well on the pc, but not at all when I
tried to watch it on TV...

I know there are many formats one can use, but which one would be the
best to use...

Also which video converter is the best for this...???

You do not need to care about formats. Just use DeVeDe for creation
of video DVD.

HTH

Best
Christoph

Neat. Thanks for this. Now added to my audio/video tools library.

BC

Ok, well so far I have not been able to get any converted movies to
work on my dvd player for TV...I had bought DVD+RW's but a fellow who
worked where i purchased them told me that, that was my problem...I
needed to use DVD+R for it to work...Not sure why that should make any
difference, but it still does not work for me...

I did view a DVD movies properties, and it was showing .vob for the
extension so that is what I am thinking that they should be converted
to from .avi to .vob...???

So by any chance has anyone out there ran into this problem, or have
downloaded a movie off of the internet, made a DVD of it, and it
worked, being able to watch it using a dvd player & TV...For me I
can watch the dvd that I have created on my pc, but I do not like to
watch a movie on a 19" screen...

So if anyone can help me out here on this one I'd appreciate it very
much... ;-)

Thanks Larry

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 10.4 Lucid

Reg# Linux User 484593

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 05-16-2010, 03:09 PM
Michel Racic

Hi Larry

From my past experience it's possible that your problem doesn't have
to do with wrong conversion but with your DVD player.
I know that some DVD players (most expensive ones) have problems with
self burned DVD's (doesn't mather if its a bit copy of an original or
a self made dvd).
I bought a very cheap United DVD player (<50$) and it plays almost
every disk even if it has lots of scratches on but my expensive home
cinema system doesn't play all of my DVD's.

Regards Michel

Old 05-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Larry Shields

On 05/16/2010 10:09 AM, Michel Racic wrote:

Hi Larry

From my past experience it's possible that your problem doesn't have
[...]

Hello Michel,

Well I have been thinking that too just might be the problem, but I do
have two other dvd players, so I will try them out, just maybe one will
work...

Thanks for the reply... ;-)

Larry

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 10.4 Lucid

Reg# Linux User 484593

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 05-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Winton Vandepeer

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 1:00 AM, Larry Shields <larryesu@charter.net> wrote:

On 05/16/2010 10:09 AM, Michel Racic wrote:

Hi Larry

From my past experience it's possible that your problem doesn't have
[...]

Hi,
*I have had a similar problem
using devede, solved it by in "menu Options" ticking* " Jump to first title at startup"
in the Disk Startup Options. My dvd player will not play anything made with devede unless I do this.

Hope this helps.
Take care
Winton

Old 05-19-2010, 04:37 PM
ms

On 16/05/10 16:30, Larry Shields wrote:
> On 05/16/2010 10:09 AM, Michel Racic wrote:
>>> So by any chance has anyone out there ran into this problem, or have
>>> downloaded a movie off of the internet, made a DVD of it, and it worked,
>>> being able to watch it using a dvd player& TV...For me I can watch
>>> the dvd
>>> that I have created on my pc, but I do not like to watch a movie on a
>>> 19"
>>> screen...
>>>
>>> So if anyone can help me out here on this one I'd appreciate it very
>>> much...
>>> ;-)
>>>
>>> Thanks Larry

Buy a DIVX player.

They cost really little (I spent 35 for one here in UK), they work
amazingly well, read practically everything and they even have USB
ports, so you don't care about burning dvds: copy the file on a usb key,
plug, play.

Really, it's worth the money.

cheers,
m.