Old 05-15-2010, 09:43 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default hot new laptop for ubuntu 10.04, and detecting DDR3 memory?

in aid of deciding whether or not to buy this as my new primary work
system:

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-pavilion-dv7-3085dx/4505-3121_7-33776108.html

i popped over to the store yesterday, dropped in ubuntu 10.04 desktop,
brought it up live and everything seemed to work. the stock nouveau
drivers supported the native res of 1600x900 just fine, which was my
major concern. bit disappointing that something advertised as an
"entertainment notebook" didn't have a blu-ray drive, especially when
a lower model of hp dv7 *did* but i can live with that.

only curiosity i had was to verify that memory was, in fact, DDR3,
not DDR2. i'm convinced it is from the spec sheet, but is there a way
to verify that on a running system? i popped into "lspci" and a
number of other utilities i know, but couldn't nail that down. can it
be done?

oh, and what will tell me that the HD is 7200 rpm, rather than just
5400 rpm? again, the utilities i know about didn't tell me that. is
there a way? thanks.

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 05-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Robert Spanjaard

On Sat, 15 May 2010 05:43:41 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> in aid of deciding whether or not to buy this as my new primary work
> system:
>
> http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-pavilion-dv7-3085dx/4505-3121_7-33776108.html
>
> i popped over to the store yesterday, dropped in ubuntu 10.04 desktop,
> brought it up live and everything seemed to work. the stock nouveau
> drivers supported the native res of 1600x900 just fine, which was my
> major concern. bit disappointing that something advertised as an
> "entertainment notebook" didn't have a blu-ray drive, especially when a
> lower model of hp dv7 *did* but i can live with that.
>
> only curiosity i had was to verify that memory was, in fact, DDR3,
> not DDR2. i'm convinced it is from the spec sheet, but is there a way
> to verify that on a running system? i popped into "lspci" and a number
> of other utilities i know, but couldn't nail that down. can it be done?

Can't you check that in the BIOS menu or the POST messages?

> oh, and what will tell me that the HD is 7200 rpm, rather than just
> 5400 rpm? again, the utilities i know about didn't tell me that. is
> there a way? thanks.

System/Administration/Disk Utility can tell you the name of the drive.
Then, you can get the specs with Google.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 05-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Karl Larsen

> in aid of deciding whether or not to buy this as my new primary work
> system:
>
> http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-pavilion-dv7-3085dx/4505-3121_7-33776108.html
>
> i popped over to the store yesterday, dropped in ubuntu 10.04 desktop,
> brought it up live and everything seemed to work. the stock nouveau
> drivers supported the native res of 1600x900 just fine, which was my
> major concern. bit disappointing that something advertised as an
> "entertainment notebook" didn't have a blu-ray drive, especially when
> a lower model of hp dv7 *did* but i can live with that.
>
> only curiosity i had was to verify that memory was, in fact, DDR3,
> not DDR2. i'm convinced it is from the spec sheet, but is there a way
> to verify that on a running system? i popped into "lspci" and a
> number of other utilities i know, but couldn't nail that down. can it
> be done?
>
> oh, and what will tell me that the HD is 7200 rpm, rather than just
> 5400 rpm? again, the utilities i know about didn't tell me that. is
> there a way? thanks.
>
> rday

Use both lspci and top to display what you want to see.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-15-2010, 05:39 PM
NoOp

> only curiosity i had was to verify that memory was, in fact, DDR3,
> not DDR2. i'm convinced it is from the spec sheet, but is there a way
> to verify that on a running system? i popped into "lspci" and a
> number of other utilities i know, but couldn't nail that down. can it
> be done?

$ sudo lshw

Pipe it to a file on your own pc before you go so that you can see all
it provides:

$ sudo lshw > mysystem.txt

The open mysystem.txt in your favorite text editor. You know of course
that you don't need the '.txt' part.

> oh, and what will tell me that the HD is 7200 rpm, rather than just
> 5400 rpm? again, the utilities i know about didn't tell me that. is
> there a way? thanks.

lshw will provide you with the exact model of drive that is in the
machine. It won't tell you the rpm, but it is then easy enough to search
the model on the web.

Were I you, I would be more concerned to determine if you can actually
run 64bit virtualization on the machine...
You might find this thread of interest (and note that it's not just
Intel processors):
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/212314
or
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2010-March/213448.html

Old 05-15-2010, 05:42 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Sat, 15 May 2010, NoOp wrote:

> Were I you, I would be more concerned to determine if you can actually
> run 64bit virtualization on the machine...
> You might find this thread of interest (and note that it's not just
> Intel processors):
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/212314
> or
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2010-March/213448.html

my check for virtualization is to simply look for the corresponding
"svm" or "vmx" in the flags in /proc/cpuinfo. are you suggesting
there's more to it than that? i guess i'll follow those links above
and see what's happening.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Janne Jokitalo

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 10:39:30AM -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 05/15/2010 02:43 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > only curiosity i had was to verify that memory was, in fact, DDR3,
> > not DDR2. i'm convinced it is from the spec sheet, but is there a way
> > to verify that on a running system? i popped into "lspci" and a
> > number of other utilities i know, but couldn't nail that down. can it
> > be done?
>
> $ sudo lshw

Alternatively, if only interested in memory information, you can do:

$ sudo lshw -c memory

--
Jaska

Old 05-15-2010, 07:41 PM
NoOp

> On Sat, 15 May 2010, NoOp wrote:
>
>> Were I you, I would be more concerned to determine if you can actually
>> run 64bit virtualization on the machine...
>> You might find this thread of interest (and note that it's not just
>> Intel processors):
>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/212314
>> or
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2010-March/213448.html
>
> my check for virtualization is to simply look for the corresponding
> "svm" or "vmx" in the flags in /proc/cpuinfo. are you suggesting
> there's more to it than that? i guess i'll follow those links above
> and see what's happening.

Worth checking further :-)

Also check:
https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=dv7-3085dx
and be aware that that laptop most likely has a Conexant CX20582 (or
CX20583 (Pebble) audio chipset. If you follow Zongo's & my posts on
sound with these devices you'll see that there are issues (sound comes
from headphones & speakers at the same time, if modified internal mic
doesn't work etc). These might get you started:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/573284
[reminder to self to file bugs for my CX20583 (Pebble)]
<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=CX20582&field.actions.search=Se arch>
<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=CX20583&field.actions.search=Se arch>

Old 05-16-2010, 12:28 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Sat, 15 May 2010, NoOp wrote:

> On 05/15/2010 10:42 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Sat, 15 May 2010, NoOp wrote:
> >
> >> Were I you, I would be more concerned to determine if you can actually
> >> run 64bit virtualization on the machine...
> >> You might find this thread of interest (and note that it's not just
> >> Intel processors):
> >> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/212314
> >> or
> >> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2010-March/213448.html
> >
> > my check for virtualization is to simply look for the corresponding
> > "svm" or "vmx" in the flags in /proc/cpuinfo. are you suggesting
> > there's more to it than that? i guess i'll follow those links above
> > and see what's happening.
>
> Worth checking further :-)

apparently. while i might be prepared to bend a bit on other
features, virt is an absolute deal-breaker.

> Also check:
> https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=dv7-3085dx
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/109113
> and be aware that that laptop most likely has a Conexant CX20582 (or
> CX20583 (Pebble) audio chipset. If you follow Zongo's & my posts on
> sound with these devices you'll see that there are issues (sound comes
> from headphones & speakers at the same time, if modified internal mic
> doesn't work etc).

typically, when i'm looking for a new laptop, i'm willing to
compromise (slightly) on features that don't quite work if a) i don't
really need them, or b) i know they're being worked on and i can be
patient. for instance, i've been told that the official nvidia
drivers will give better performance than the default nouveau drivers.
but i tested the laptop in the store with a live ubuntu 10.04 cd, and
the nouveau drivers worked fine in giving me the full 1600x900 res.
so unless i suddenly get involved in serious gaming, that issue
doesn't bother me (if it is, in fact, an issue at all).

but the virt stuff -- yes, that's something i need to check. better
not take me too long, though -- this is a refurbished unit on sale, so
someone else might snap it up while i'm researching.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Karl Larsen

> On Sat, 15 May 2010, NoOp wrote:

>>> my check for virtualization is to simply look for the corresponding
>>> "svm" or "vmx" in the flags in /proc/cpuinfo. are you suggesting
>>> there's more to it than that? i guess i'll follow those links above
>>> and see what's happening.
>>>
>> Worth checking further :-)
>>
> apparently. while i might be prepared to bend a bit on other
> features, virt is an absolute deal-breaker.
>

>> Also check:
>> https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=dv7-3085dx
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/109113
>> and be aware that that laptop most likely has a Conexant CX20582 (or
>> CX20583 (Pebble) audio chipset. If you follow Zongo's& my posts on
>> sound with these devices you'll see that there are issues (sound comes
>> from headphones& speakers at the same time, if modified internal mic
>> doesn't work etc).
>>
> typically, when i'm looking for a new laptop, i'm willing to
> compromise (slightly) on features that don't quite work if a) i don't
> really need them, or b) i know they're being worked on and i can be
> patient. for instance, i've been told that the official nvidia
> drivers will give better performance than the default nouveau drivers.
> but i tested the laptop in the store with a live ubuntu 10.04 cd, and
> the nouveau drivers worked fine in giving me the full 1600x900 res.
> so unless i suddenly get involved in serious gaming, that issue
> doesn't bother me (if it is, in fact, an issue at all).
>
> but the virt stuff -- yes, that's something i need to check. better
> not take me too long, though -- this is a refurbished unit on sale, so
> someone else might snap it up while i'm researching.
>
> rday

My year old HP CQ50 laptop has according to lspci has VGA
Compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev7).

I have loaded 9.04 and up to 10.04 without a single video complaint.
I will look for the Intel in my next laptop.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-16-2010, 04:42 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Sun, 16 May 2010, Karl Larsen wrote:

> My year old HP CQ50 laptop has according to lspci has VGA
> Compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev7).
>
> I have loaded 9.04 and up to 10.04 without a single video
> complaint. I will look for the Intel in my next laptop.

given that i asked originally about a different laptop with nvidia
graphics (not intel), what possible value could your random blithering
have, karl? and, no, replying that *someone* out there might be
interested in that information is not a defense for polluting *this*
thread.

for the love of god, karl, take everyone's advice and get a blog
where you can spew irrelevancies to your heart's content. or just get
a bucket and a squeegee and go yell at passing cars or something.