Old 05-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Robert Spanjaard

Default Can't add applets to panel in 10.04 :-(

On Sat, 15 May 2010 10:54:52 +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When I log into my freshly installed 10.04, I get two panels but am
> missing lots of applets which were existing in 9.10. In fact, only the
> menus on the left side exist. all the applets which were on the right
> side of the panels like the volume/wlan/battery/logout/clock applets are
> gone. I tired to add them manually via right-click and then choosing
> "add to panel" menu, but no matter which applet I choose to add, nothing
> happens. The "add" button only shows the visual effect that it was
> pressed, but none of the applets is actually added to the panel.
>
> With such a panel, I am even not able to log off properly, since there
> is non logoff/shutdown knob in the panel.
>
> Any ideas other than going back to 9.10?

Can you delete the panel? If that option is not greyed out, there must be
another panel somewhere. Maybe the applets are added to that hidden panel.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 05-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Josef Wolf

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 09:08:10AM +0000, Robert Spanjaard wrote:
> On Sat, 15 May 2010 10:54:52 +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > When I log into my freshly installed 10.04, I get two panels but am
> > missing lots of applets which were existing in 9.10. In fact, only the
> > menus on the left side exist. all the applets which were on the right
> > side of the panels like the volume/wlan/battery/logout/clock applets are
> > gone. I tired to add them manually via right-click and then choosing
> > "add to panel" menu, but no matter which applet I choose to add, nothing
> > happens. The "add" button only shows the visual effect that it was
> > pressed, but none of the applets is actually added to the panel.
> >
> > With such a panel, I am even not able to log off properly, since there
> > is non logoff/shutdown knob in the panel.
> >
> > Any ideas other than going back to 9.10?
>
> Can you delete the panel? If that option is not greyed out, there must be
> another panel somewhere. Maybe the applets are added to that hidden panel.

Well, in fact, there _are_ two panels , one at the top (containing the menus)
and one at the bottom. Both panels were created at install, as it was in 9.10.
But I can't add anything to both panles. I deleted now the bottom panel and
can still not add anything to the top panel. Now, how would I recreate a new
panel?

Old 05-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Robert Spanjaard

On Sat, 15 May 2010 11:21:41 +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:

> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 09:08:10AM +0000, Robert Spanjaard wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 May 2010 10:54:52 +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > When I log into my freshly installed 10.04, I get two panels but am
>> > missing lots of applets which were existing in 9.10. In fact, only
>> > the menus on the left side exist. all the applets which were on the
>> > right side of the panels like the volume/wlan/battery/logout/clock
>> > applets are gone. I tired to add them manually via right-click and
>> > then choosing "add to panel" menu, but no matter which applet I
>> > choose to add, nothing happens. The "add" button only shows the
>> > visual effect that it was pressed, but none of the applets is
>> > actually added to the panel.
>> >
>> > With such a panel, I am even not able to log off properly, since
>> > there is non logoff/shutdown knob in the panel.
>> >
>> > Any ideas other than going back to 9.10?
>>
>> Can you delete the panel? If that option is not greyed out, there must
>> be another panel somewhere. Maybe the applets are added to that hidden
>> panel.
>
> Well, in fact, there _are_ two panels , one at the top (containing the
> menus) and one at the bottom. Both panels were created at install, as it
> was in 9.10. But I can't add anything to both panles. I deleted now the
> bottom panel and can still not add anything to the top panel. Now, how
> would I recreate a new panel?

Right-click on the top panel, and select "New Panel".

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 05-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Josef Wolf

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 09:33:46AM +0000, Robert Spanjaard wrote:
> On Sat, 15 May 2010 11:21:41 +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:

> >> Can you delete the panel? If that option is not greyed out, there must
> >> be another panel somewhere. Maybe the applets are added to that hidden
> >> panel.
> >
> > Well, in fact, there _are_ two panels , one at the top (containing the
> > menus) and one at the bottom. Both panels were created at install, as it
> > was in 9.10. But I can't add anything to both panles. I deleted now the
> > bottom panel and can still not add anything to the top panel. Now, how
> > would I recreate a new panel?
>
> Right-click on the top panel, and select "New Panel".

Doesn't work also. And there are two more defects:

- I can not move the panel to another border, which worked fine in 9.10.
- The panel goes only about 60% of the screen width although I have clicked
that is should run for the whole screen width.

Seems like there's something really messed up here. But this is a fresh
install. In the first install, even the menus with the applications and
settings were missing.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Karl Larsen

On 05/15/2010 02:54 AM, Josef Wolf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I log into my freshly installed 10.04, I get two panels but am missing
> lots of applets which were existing in 9.10. In fact, only the menus on the
> left side exist. all the applets which were on the right side of the panels
> like the volume/wlan/battery/logout/clock applets are gone. I tired to add
> them manually via right-click and then choosing "add to panel" menu, but
> no matter which applet I choose to add, nothing happens. The "add" button
> only shows the visual effect that it was pressed, but none of the applets
> is actually added to the panel.
>
> With such a panel, I am even not able to log off properly, since there is
> non logoff/shutdown knob in the panel.
>
> Any ideas other than going back to 9.10?

I am sure your not fully updated. But you can fix the log off
easy. Left click the upper edge of your computer and select the first
choice. A panel will show up with lots of items. Select what you want,
it looks like a round key.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Josef Wolf

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 06:12:59AM -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> On 05/15/2010 02:54 AM, Josef Wolf wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > When I log into my freshly installed 10.04, I get two panels but am missing
> > lots of applets which were existing in 9.10. In fact, only the menus on the
> > left side exist. all the applets which were on the right side of the panels
> > like the volume/wlan/battery/logout/clock applets are gone. I tired to add
> > them manually via right-click and then choosing "add to panel" menu, but
> > no matter which applet I choose to add, nothing happens. The "add" button
> > only shows the visual effect that it was pressed, but none of the applets
> > is actually added to the panel.
> >
> > With such a panel, I am even not able to log off properly, since there is
> > non logoff/shutdown knob in the panel.
> >
> > Any ideas other than going back to 9.10?
> >

> I am sure your not fully updated.

I run "aptitude update; aptitude safe-upgrade" right after install (from
alternate install CD), so I bet I should be fully updated. Then I run
"aptitude install ubuntu-desktop" to get the desktop installed.

> But you can fix the log off
> easy. Left click the upper edge of your computer and select the first
> choice. A panel will show up with lots of items. Select what you want,
> it looks like a round key.

Well, that's exactly the problem: there are _no_ icons in the panel and
adding the icons simply don't work. There is no icon that looks like a
round key.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Karl Larsen

On 05/15/2010 06:28 AM, Josef Wolf wrote:
> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 06:12:59AM -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> On 05/15/2010 02:54 AM, Josef Wolf wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> When I log into my freshly installed 10.04, I get two panels but am missing
>>> lots of applets which were existing in 9.10. In fact, only the menus on the
>>> left side exist. all the applets which were on the right side of the panels
>>> like the volume/wlan/battery/logout/clock applets are gone. I tired to add
>>> them manually via right-click and then choosing "add to panel" menu, but
>>> no matter which applet I choose to add, nothing happens. The "add" button
>>> only shows the visual effect that it was pressed, but none of the applets
>>> is actually added to the panel.
>>>
>>> With such a panel, I am even not able to log off properly, since there is
>>> non logoff/shutdown knob in the panel.
>>>
>>> Any ideas other than going back to 9.10?
>>>

>> I am sure your not fully updated.
>>
> I run "aptitude update; aptitude safe-upgrade" right after install (from
> alternate install CD), so I bet I should be fully updated. Then I run
> "aptitude install ubuntu-desktop" to get the desktop installed.
>

>> But you can fix the log off
>> easy. Left click the upper edge of your computer and select the first
>> choice. A panel will show up with lots of items. Select what you want,
>> it looks like a round key.
>>
> Well, that's exactly the problem: there are _no_ icons in the panel and
> adding the icons simply don't work. There is no icon that looks like a
> round key.

The problem must be that your on the wrong panel. Try to delete the
empty panel. This part of 10.04 is kind of crude but it works. Just fool
around and it might fix itself.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Robert Spanjaard

On Sat, 15 May 2010 12:03:46 +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:

> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 09:33:46AM +0000, Robert Spanjaard wrote:

>> > Well, in fact, there _are_ two panels , one at the top (containing
>> > the menus) and one at the bottom. Both panels were created at
>> > install, as it was in 9.10. But I can't add anything to both panles.
>> > I deleted now the bottom panel and can still not add anything to the
>> > top panel. Now, how would I recreate a new panel?
>>
>> Right-click on the top panel, and select "New Panel".
>
> Doesn't work also. And there are two more defects:
>
> - I can not move the panel to another border, which worked fine in
> 9.10. - The panel goes only about 60% of the screen width although I
> have clicked
> that is should run for the whole screen width.
>
> Seems like there's something really messed up here. But this is a fresh
> install. In the first install, even the menus with the applications and
> settings were missing.

Seems like the installation itself isn't very reliable. I had some
problems on the first attempt too, which disappeared at the second
attempt.

Maybe the OS should perform some kind of self-check after installation,
to see if everything is installed as intended.

All I can advise is to try another install, preferably after you checked
the md5sum of the CD.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 05-15-2010, 05:23 PM
NoOp

On 05/15/2010 03:03 AM, Josef Wolf wrote:
> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 09:33:46AM +0000, Robert Spanjaard wrote:
>> > Well, in fact, there _are_ two panels , one at the top (containing the
>> > menus) and one at the bottom. Both panels were created at install, as it
>> > was in 9.10. But I can't add anything to both panles. I deleted now the
>> > bottom panel and can still not add anything to the top panel. Now, how
>> > would I recreate a new panel?
>>
>> Right-click on the top panel, and select "New Panel".
>
> Doesn't work also. And there are two more defects:
>
> - I can not move the panel to another border, which worked fine in 9.10.
> - The panel goes only about 60% of the screen width although I have clicked
> that is should run for the whole screen width.
>
> Seems like there's something really messed up here. But this is a fresh
> install. In the first install, even the menus with the applications and
> settings were missing.

Given it's a new install & not customized:

$ gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/panel
$ pkill gnome-panel

Or, if you prefer basically the same in a gui (but also keep a backup of
your original settings):
<http://bithacker.posterous.com/restore-the-default-gnome-panels-in-ubuntu-10>

Make sure (as Karl suggested) that you actually are fully updated:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo apt-get install -f
$ sudo dpkg --configure -a

Old 05-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Josef Wolf

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 04:45:53PM +0000, Robert Spanjaard wrote:
> On Sat, 15 May 2010 12:03:46 +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:

> >> Right-click on the top panel, and select "New Panel".
> >
> > Doesn't work also. And there are two more defects:
> >
> > - I can not move the panel to another border, which worked fine in
> > 9.10. - The panel goes only about 60% of the screen width although I
> > have clicked
> > that is should run for the whole screen width.
> >
> > Seems like there's something really messed up here. But this is a fresh
> > install. In the first install, even the menus with the applications and
> > settings were missing.
>
> Seems like the installation itself isn't very reliable. I had some
> problems on the first attempt too, which disappeared at the second
> attempt.

In the meantime, I have made some 15 installations from scratch, all with
similar results. Sometimes the panels are _completely_ empty, sometimes the
main menu and the settings menu are available but none of the applets which
used to be available for years in older ubuntu releases. In all of those
installs, I was _never_ able to add any applet to the panel.

I have tried all sorts of combinations of alternate/desktop CD, crypted/normal
swap crypted/normal homedir and some more esoterical ideas. Each time I've
done a fresh install from scratch and took special care to be up-to-date.

> All I can advise is to try another install, preferably after you checked
> the md5sum of the CD.

In the meantime I tried about 15 fresh installs and checking md5sum was
one of my first actions to do.