Old 05-14-2010, 07:32 PM
zongo saiba

Default NETWORKING /etc/resolv.conf/ Ubuntu 10.0.4

Hi,

Could anyone tell me why my /etc/resolv.conf/ file gets emptied and then
I lose all connections to my wireless network ? I mean, I have figured
out why this was happening. I have to manually reconfigure manually
resolv.conf everytime this happens and all his back to normal.

resolv.conf is controlled by NetworkManager. Should I configure
NetworkManager in any particular way ? Or May by my routeur ?

Kind Regards,

zongo

Old 05-14-2010, 11:54 PM
Asif Iqbal

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 3:32 PM, zongo saiba <zongosaiba@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could anyone tell me why my /etc/resolv.conf/ file gets emptied and then
> I lose all connections to my wireless network ? I mean, I have figured
> out why this was happening. I have to manually reconfigure manually
> resolv.conf everytime this happens and all his back to normal.
>
> resolv.conf is controlled by NetworkManager. Should I configure
> NetworkManager in any particular way ? Or May by my routeur ?

if you are getting ip through dhcp then just use prepend or append
your resolvers
in your system.

man dhclient.conf or vi /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf to get some idea.

> Kind Regards,
>
> zongo

Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-15-2010, 12:49 AM
Tom H

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 7:54 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 3:32 PM, zongo saiba <zongosaiba@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Could anyone tell me why my /etc/resolv.conf/ file gets emptied and then
>> I lose all connections to my wireless network ? I mean, I have figured
>> out why this was happening. I have to manually reconfigure manually
>> resolv.conf everytime this happens and all his back to normal.
>>
>> resolv.conf is controlled by NetworkManager. Should I configure
>> NetworkManager in any particular way ? Or May by my routeur ?
>
> if you are getting ip through dhcp then just use prepend or append
> your resolvers
> in your system.
>
> man dhclient.conf or vi /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf to get some idea.

If using NM, it is probably more appropriate to make configuration
changes within NM's GUI. I don't have NM installed to check this, but
it must have a field for specifying DNS servers.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:31 PM
zongo saiba

On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 20:49 -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 7:54 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 3:32 PM, zongo saiba <zongosaiba@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Could anyone tell me why my /etc/resolv.conf/ file gets emptied and then
> >> I lose all connections to my wireless network ? I mean, I have figured
> >> out why this was happening. I have to manually reconfigure manually
> >> resolv.conf everytime this happens and all his back to normal.
> >>
> >> resolv.conf is controlled by NetworkManager. Should I configure
> >> NetworkManager in any particular way ? Or May by my routeur ?
> >
> > if you are getting ip through dhcp then just use prepend or append
> > your resolvers
> > in your system.
> >
> > man dhclient.conf or vi /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf to get some idea.
>
> If using NM, it is probably more appropriate to make configuration
> changes within NM's GUI. I don't have NM installed to check this, but
> it must have a field for specifying DNS servers.

Indeed it does. I was suffering network connection loss eventhough I had
configured the GUI properly. Plus the Wifi connection or card (still
don't know) was very talkative and was filling up my logs pretty fast.
Plus, my resolv.conf was being whipped clean every other time which had
for result to cut off my connection from the router. Since I have
configured (as off today) dhclient.conf (as per man page) it seems to be
a lot better. I have just tested the connection today only, but will
come back on that in a couple of days with better estimate of the
reliability of my connection. An interesting fact here: Before actually
changing the dhclient.conf file, I had changed the configuration
in /etc/network/interfaces which had a terrible effect on my wifi
connection but also on NM. NM was still running in the background but
not showing in the menu bar at all. I could not scan wireless networks.
I could only connect with ifconfig and ESSID of the network which worked
nicely but still needed my notebook to scan for other wireless networks
especially when I was on the move. Nevertheless, it seems that I slowly
getting back to normal with my wifi connection.

Kind Regards,

zongo

Old 05-15-2010, 05:54 PM
NoOp

On 05/15/2010 09:31 AM, zongo saiba wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 20:49 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>> If using NM, it is probably more appropriate to make configuration
>> changes within NM's GUI. I don't have NM installed to check this, but
>> it must have a field for specifying DNS servers.
>>

> Indeed it does. I was suffering network connection loss eventhough I had
> configured the GUI properly. Plus the Wifi connection or card (still
> don't know) was very talkative and was filling up my logs pretty fast.
> Plus, my resolv.conf was being whipped clean every other time which had
> for result to cut off my connection from the router. Since I have
> configured (as off today) dhclient.conf (as per man page) it seems to be
> a lot better. I have just tested the connection today only, but will
> come back on that in a couple of days with better estimate of the
> reliability of my connection. An interesting fact here: Before actually
> changing the dhclient.conf file, I had changed the configuration
> in /etc/network/interfaces which had a terrible effect on my wifi
> connection but also on NM. NM was still running in the background but
> not showing in the menu bar at all. I could not scan wireless networks.
> I could only connect with ifconfig and ESSID of the network which worked
> nicely but still needed my notebook to scan for other wireless networks
> especially when I was on the move. Nevertheless, it seems that I slowly
> getting back to normal with my wifi connection.

You might try wicd instead. Note that wicd will remove NM in the
process, so you might want to download copies of NM directly first if
you do not have a wired connection handy:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=network-manager
Save the .debs for both network-manager & network-manager-gnome

wicd:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/wicd

Old 05-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Nils Kassube

NoOp wrote:
> You might try wicd instead. Note that wicd will remove NM in the
> process, so you might want to download copies of NM directly first if
> you do not have a wired connection handy:

Not exactly - unfortunately installing wicd doesn't remove nm [1] but
you should remove it anyway because otherwise they will fight for
controlling the network interfaces and none of them wins. But it is a
good idea to keep a copy of the nm packages nonetheless.

Nils

[1] <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wicd/+bug/555403>

Old 05-15-2010, 06:34 PM
zongo saiba

On Sat, 2010-05-15 at 10:54 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 05/15/2010 09:31 AM, zongo saiba wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 20:49 -0400, Tom H wrote:
> >> If using NM, it is probably more appropriate to make configuration
> >> changes within NM's GUI. I don't have NM installed to check this, but
> >> it must have a field for specifying DNS servers.
> >>

> > Indeed it does. I was suffering network connection loss eventhough I had
> > configured the GUI properly. Plus the Wifi connection or card (still
> > don't know) was very talkative and was filling up my logs pretty fast.
> > Plus, my resolv.conf was being whipped clean every other time which had
> > for result to cut off my connection from the router. Since I have
> > configured (as off today) dhclient.conf (as per man page) it seems to be
> > a lot better. I have just tested the connection today only, but will
> > come back on that in a couple of days with better estimate of the
> > reliability of my connection. An interesting fact here: Before actually
> > changing the dhclient.conf file, I had changed the configuration
> > in /etc/network/interfaces which had a terrible effect on my wifi
> > connection but also on NM. NM was still running in the background but
> > not showing in the menu bar at all. I could not scan wireless networks.
> > I could only connect with ifconfig and ESSID of the network which worked
> > nicely but still needed my notebook to scan for other wireless networks
> > especially when I was on the move. Nevertheless, it seems that I slowly
> > getting back to normal with my wifi connection.
>
> You might try wicd instead. Note that wicd will remove NM in the
> process, so you might want to download copies of NM directly first if
> you do not have a wired connection handy:
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=network-manager
> Save the .debs for both network-manager & network-manager-gnome
>
> wicd:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/wicd

Thank you all for your help but all is well now (touch wookd). I did try
wicd and it did not remove NM. I have both running at the same time. Of
course that caused a bit of mayhem but it was fun as once I had the
ethernet on one and the wifi on the other. I did this just to
troubleshoot and went back to NM which I do prefer over wicd. I guess NM
is more tempermental but with some tweaking, it works well.

Thank you again for all your help

Kind Regards

zongo

Old 05-15-2010, 06:50 PM
NoOp

On 05/15/2010 11:34 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> You might try wicd instead. Note that wicd will remove NM in the
>> process, so you might want to download copies of NM directly first if
>> you do not have a wired connection handy:
>
> Not exactly - unfortunately installing wicd doesn't remove nm [1] but
> you should remove it anyway because otherwise they will fight for
> controlling the network interfaces and none of them wins. But it is a
> good idea to keep a copy of the nm packages nonetheless.
>

> Nils
>
> [1] <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wicd/+bug/555403>

Ah - thanks for that. Mine have been set up for quite some time & when
installed they did remove NM. So I suspect that this is fairly recent.
Thanks again & good catch.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Tom H

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 12:31 PM, zongo saiba <zongosaiba@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 20:49 -0400, Tom H wrote:

>> > if you are getting ip through dhcp then just use prepend or append
>> > your resolvers
>> > in your system.
>> >
>> > man dhclient.conf or vi /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf to get some idea.
>>
>> If using NM, it is probably more appropriate to make configuration
>> changes within NM's GUI. I don't have NM installed to check this, but
>> it must have a field for specifying DNS servers.
>
> Indeed it does. I was suffering network connection loss eventhough I had
> configured the GUI properly. Plus the Wifi connection or card (still
> don't know) was very talkative and was filling up my logs pretty fast.
> Plus, my resolv.conf was being whipped clean every other time which had
> for result to cut off my connection from the router. Since I have
> configured (as off today) dhclient.conf (as per man page) it seems to be
> a lot better. I have just tested the connection today only, but will
> come back on that in a couple of days with better estimate of the
> reliability of my connection. An interesting fact here: Before actually
> changing the dhclient.conf file, I had changed the configuration
> in /etc/network/interfaces which had a terrible effect on my wifi
> connection but also on NM. NM was still running in the background but
> not showing in the menu bar at all. I could not scan wireless networks.
> I could only connect with ifconfig and ESSID of the network which worked
> nicely but still needed my notebook to scan for other wireless networks
> especially when I was on the move. Nevertheless, it seems that I slowly
> getting back to normal with my wifi connection.

Unless you change the nm_controlled variable, defining more than lo in
/e/n/i won't work. NM will keep on running and, I think, mess with
your DHCP (and hence your resolv.conf) settings.

If you're comfortable at the cli, editing dhclient.conf and running NM
should give allow you to scan wifi networks and set specific dns
servers.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Tom H

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 1:54 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 05/15/2010 09:31 AM, zongo saiba wrote:
>> On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 20:49 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>>> If using NM, it is probably more appropriate to make configuration
>>> changes within NM's GUI. I don't have NM installed to check this, but
>>> it must have a field for specifying DNS servers.
>>>

>> Indeed it does. I was suffering network connection loss eventhough I had
>> configured the GUI properly. Plus the Wifi connection or card (still
>> don't know) was very talkative and was filling up my logs pretty fast.
>> Plus, my resolv.conf was being whipped clean every other time which had
>> for result to cut off my connection from the router. Since I have
>> configured (as off today) dhclient.conf (as per man page) it seems to be
>> a lot better. I have just tested the connection today only, but will
>> come back on that in a couple of days with better estimate of the
>> reliability of my connection. An interesting fact here: Before actually
>> changing the dhclient.conf file, I had changed the configuration
>> in /etc/network/interfaces which had a terrible effect on my wifi
>> connection but also on NM. NM was still running in the background but
>> not showing in the menu bar at all. I could not scan wireless networks.
>> I could only connect with ifconfig and ESSID of the network which worked
>> nicely but still needed my notebook to scan for other wireless networks
>> especially when I was on the move. Nevertheless, it seems that I slowly
>> getting back to normal with my wifi connection.
>
> You might try wicd instead. Note that wicd will remove NM in the
> process, so you might want to download copies of NM directly first if
> you do not have a wired connection handy:

There was a recent post that said that in Lucid NM and WICD were not
set to conflict so you might need to uninstall NM and install WICD.