Old 05-14-2010, 04:06 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default why is RW-mounted SD card treated as mounted RO?

perhaps a simple solution to this, but i tossed an SD card into my
ubuntu 10.04 laptop, whereupon:

$ mount
... snip ...
/dev/sdb1 on /media/6458-0D98 type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=1000, shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,flush)
$

that normally suggests that the card is mounted read/write, but if i
"cd" onto the card and attempt to make any changes, i get:

$ touch fred
touch: cannot touch `fred': Read-only file system
$

am i overlooking something obvious? the SD card is unlocked, the
mount comment certainly suggests that the filesystem is writable, but
any attempt to modify the card contents fails (sudo makes no
difference, and that would generate a "permission denied" error,
anyway).

thoughts?

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 05-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Kent Borg

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> $ mount
> ... snip ...
> /dev/sdb1 on /media/6458-0D98 type vfat
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=1000, shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,flush)
> $
>
> that normally suggests that the card is mounted read/write, but if i
> "cd" onto the card and attempt to make any changes, i get:
>
> $ touch fred
> touch: cannot touch `fred': Read-only file system

Last time I saw something like that it was because I was trying to mount
a Mac-formated Ipod and the journal was not supported by Linux.

Are there any interesting data in /var/log/messages? (The Ipod did put
out an error that I could Google...)

-kb

Old 05-14-2010, 08:03 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Fri, 14 May 2010, Kent Borg wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > $ mount
> > ... snip ...
> > /dev/sdb1 on /media/6458-0D98 type vfat
> > (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=1000, shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,flush)
> > $
> >
> > that normally suggests that the card is mounted read/write, but if i
> > "cd" onto the card and attempt to make any changes, i get:
> >
> > $ touch fred
> > touch: cannot touch `fred': Read-only file system
>
> Last time I saw something like that it was because I was trying to mount
> a Mac-formated Ipod and the journal was not supported by Linux.
>
> Are there any interesting data in /var/log/messages? (The Ipod did put
> out an error that I could Google...)

the relevant lines from /var/log/messages:

May 14 16:01:37 lynx kernel: [103132.412402] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdb] 501248
512-byte logical blocks: (256 MB/244 MiB)
May 14 16:01:37 lynx kernel: [103132.414310] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdb] Write
Protect is off
May 14 16:01:37 lynx kernel: [103132.422458] sdb: sdb1
May 14 16:01:37 lynx kernel: [103132.427613] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdb]
Attached SCSI removable disk

note that "Write Protect is off." so being told that it's a read-only
file system is certainly puzzling.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Nils Kassube

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> perhaps a simple solution to this, but i tossed an SD card into my
> ubuntu 10.04 laptop, whereupon:
>
> $ mount
> ... snip ...
> /dev/sdb1 on /media/6458-0D98 type vfat
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=1000, shortname=mixed,dma
> sk=0077,utf8=1,flush) $
>
> that normally suggests that the card is mounted read/write, but if
> i "cd" onto the card and attempt to make any changes, i get:
>
> $ touch fred
> touch: cannot touch `fred': Read-only file system
> $
>
> am i overlooking something obvious? the SD card is unlocked, the
> mount comment certainly suggests that the filesystem is writable, but
> any attempt to modify the card contents fails (sudo makes no
> difference, and that would generate a "permission denied" error,
> anyway).

Maybe you should check the filesystem. Unmount the it and then run

sudo dosfsck /dev/sdb1

in a terminal. See "man dosfsck" for more options.

Nils

Old 05-14-2010, 08:19 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Fri, 14 May 2010, Nils Kassube wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > perhaps a simple solution to this, but i tossed an SD card into my
> > ubuntu 10.04 laptop, whereupon:
> >
> > $ mount
> > ... snip ...
> > /dev/sdb1 on /media/6458-0D98 type vfat
> > (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=1000, shortname=mixed,dma
> > sk=0077,utf8=1,flush) $
> >
> > that normally suggests that the card is mounted read/write, but if
> > i "cd" onto the card and attempt to make any changes, i get:
> >
> > $ touch fred
> > touch: cannot touch `fred': Read-only file system
> > $
> >
> > am i overlooking something obvious? the SD card is unlocked, the
> > mount comment certainly suggests that the filesystem is writable, but
> > any attempt to modify the card contents fails (sudo makes no
> > difference, and that would generate a "permission denied" error,
> > anyway).
>
> Maybe you should check the filesystem. Unmount the it and then run
>
> sudo dosfsck /dev/sdb1
>
> in a terminal. See "man dosfsck" for more options.

i finally gave up, copied the contents, reformatted as vfat, and
restored. no problems now.