Old 05-14-2010, 02:36 PM
stan

Default VirtualBox and iTunes

I have a iPhone, and in order to load muusic on it, I need to run iTunes. I
do not have any Windows (or for that matter Mac) computers. I figured I
could get this done using VirtualBox, and an XP image, but every time I
strat iTunes in a VirtualBox XP instance. I get a Windows "program crash"
message.

Has anyone made this work?

> I have a iPhone, and in order to load muusic on it, I need to run iTunes. I
> do not have any Windows (or for that matter Mac) computers. I figured I
> could get this done using VirtualBox, and an XP image, but every time I
> strat iTunes in a VirtualBox XP instance. I get a Windows "program crash"
> message.
>
> Has anyone made this work?

I haven't run iTunes inside a windows VM, but for testing purposes I
keep XP and Win7 images and run those from time to time.

The question is, what are you running, and what VirtualBox? And when
do you get the crash message... does it kill the VM, or just iTunes?

FWIW, I don't use the OSE version, I use the VBox packages pulled
directly from Sun.

Cheers
Jeff

Old 05-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Henry Dubb

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 9:44 AM, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:36, stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:

> I have a iPhone, and in order to load muusic on it, I need to run iTunes. I

> do not have any Windows (or for that matter Mac) computers. I figured I

> could get this done using VirtualBox, and an XP image, but every time I

> strat iTunes in a VirtualBox XP instance. I get a Windows "program crash"

> message.

> Has anyone made this work?

No, this is partly because of ITunes spying. I can't remember the message now but it had to do with Itunes*verifying*my computer.*

But the bigger question is why not use Ubuntu 10.04. I know it works out of the box in Mint 9 rc.*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4arUsEmj54

Old 05-14-2010, 06:02 PM
stan

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:44:44AM -0400, J wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:36, stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
> > I have a iPhone, and in order to load muusic on it, I need to run iTunes. I
> > do not have any Windows (or for that matter Mac) computers. I figured I
> > could get this done using VirtualBox, and an XP image, but every time I
> > strat iTunes in a VirtualBox XP instance. I get a Windows "program crash"
> > message.
> >
> > Has anyone made this work?
>
> I haven't run iTunes inside a windows VM, but for testing purposes I
> keep XP and Win7 images and run those from time to time.
>
> The question is, what are you running, and what VirtualBox? And when
> do you get the crash message... does it kill the VM, or just iTunes?
>
> FWIW, I don't use the OSE version, I use the VBox packages pulled
> directly from Sun.

64 bit Ububtu 10.04, and I have tried the latest non ose release, and
beta version of VirtualBox.

iTunes starts up, presnets it's default screen, and I get a Windows pop uu
saying something like"iTunes has encountered an error an must end. Do you
wnat to send a report to Microsoft?".

What other information can I provide?

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-14-2010, 06:02 PM
stan

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:44:44AM -0400, J wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:36, stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
> > I have a iPhone, and in order to load muusic on it, I need to run iTunes. I
> > do not have any Windows (or for that matter Mac) computers. I figured I
> > could get this done using VirtualBox, and an XP image, but every time I
> > strat iTunes in a VirtualBox XP instance. I get a Windows "program crash"
> > message.
> >
> > Has anyone made this work?
>
> I haven't run iTunes inside a windows VM, but for testing purposes I
> keep XP and Win7 images and run those from time to time.
>
> The question is, what are you running, and what VirtualBox? And when
> do you get the crash message... does it kill the VM, or just iTunes?
>
> FWIW, I don't use the OSE version, I use the VBox packages pulled
> directly from Sun.

64 bit Ububtu 10.04, and I have tried the latest non ose release, and
beta version of VirtualBox.

iTunes starts up, presnets it's default screen, and I get a Windows pop uu
saying something like"iTunes has encountered an error an must end. Do you
wnat to send a report to Microsoft?".

What other information can I provide?

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-14-2010, 06:14 PM
stan

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 12:44:25PM -0500, Henry Dubb wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 9:44 AM, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:36, stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
> > > I have a iPhone, and in order to load muusic on it, I need to run iTunes.
> > > do not have any Windows (or for that matter Mac) computers. I figured I
> > > could get this done using VirtualBox, and an XP image, but every time I
> > > strat iTunes in a VirtualBox XP instance. I get a Windows "program crash"
> > > message.
> > >
> > > Has anyone made this work?
> >

> No, this is partly because of ITunes spying. I can't remember the message
> now but it had to do with Itunes verifying my computer.
>
> But the bigger question is why not use Ubuntu 10.04. I know it works out of
> the box in Mint 9 rc.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4arUsEmj54

Wow!. This will be neat if it works. I will try it when I get home tonght,
as I do not have the cabel with me.

Thanks for mentioning this.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-14-2010, 07:26 PM
NoOp

On 05/14/2010 11:14 AM, stan wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 12:44:25PM -0500, Henry Dubb wrote:
>> No, this is partly because of ITunes spying. I can't remember the message
>> now but it had to do with Itunes verifying my computer.
>>
>> But the bigger question is why not use Ubuntu 10.04. I know it works out of
>> the box in Mint 9 rc.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4arUsEmj54
>>

> Wow!. This will be neat if it works. I will try it when I get home tonght,
> as I do not have the cabel with me.
>
> Thanks for mentioning this.

Be sure to backup your music first.

On my jailbroken ipod touch (8GB) Rhythmbox (or libmobdevice - not sure
which) zeros out my iTunesDB file. The result is the music is not
actually lost on the device, but because there is no data in the
iTunesDB file it appears that way. If I restore the file (I ssh into my
device) all of my music appears as before. I've not tried since 10.04
was fully released & I'm backing up my iTunes_Control folder now to test
later today.

Also see:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPhone

Old 05-14-2010, 10:56 PM

> I have a iPhone, and in order to load muusic on it, I need to run
iTunes. I
> do not have any Windows (or for that matter Mac) computers. I figured
> could get this done using VirtualBox, and an XP image, but every time
> strat iTunes in a VirtualBox XP instance. I get a Windows "program
crash"
> message.

> Has anyone made this work?

The problem is your version of iTunes. You need to use iTunes version
9.02 which works fine, does not crash in VirtualBox. iTunes was
"broke" in 9.03 and higher and I guess Apple isn't inclined to fix it.
Also, you need to use the PUEL verison of Virtual Box because the free
OSE verision does not support USB connections.

Clint

Old 05-15-2010, 11:41 AM
stan

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 06:56:40PM -0400, clintin@linuxmail.org wrote:
> > I have a iPhone, and in order to load muusic on it, I need to run
> iTunes. I
> > do not have any Windows (or for that matter Mac) computers. I figured
> > could get this done using VirtualBox, and an XP image, but every time
> > strat iTunes in a VirtualBox XP instance. I get a Windows "program
> crash"
> > message.
>
> > Has anyone made this work?
>
> The problem is your version of iTunes. You need to use iTunes version
> 9.02 which works fine, does not crash in VirtualBox. iTunes was
> "broke" in 9.03 and higher and I guess Apple isn't inclined to fix it.
> Also, you need to use the PUEL verison of Virtual Box because the free
> OSE verision does not support USB connections.

OK, thanks. One final question, Where can I get the older version? It dows
not look like the Apple site gives me a chice as to what version to
download.

Thanks for the ehlp.
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-15-2010, 11:45 AM
stan

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 12:44:25PM -0500, Henry Dubb wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 9:44 AM, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:36, stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
> > > I have a iPhone, and in order to load muusic on it, I need to run iTunes.
> > > do not have any Windows (or for that matter Mac) computers. I figured I
> > > could get this done using VirtualBox, and an XP image, but every time I
> > > strat iTunes in a VirtualBox XP instance. I get a Windows "program crash"
> > > message.
> > >
> > > Has anyone made this work?
> >

> No, this is partly because of ITunes spying. I can't remember the message
> now but it had to do with Itunes verifying my computer.
>
> But the bigger question is why not use Ubuntu 10.04. I know it works out of
> the box in Mint 9 rc.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4arUsEmj54

This does seem to work. Congratulations to all the good people who continue
to deelop these woderful open source tools! The las time I tried this it
did not work, so clearly they have made great strides in making things work
well for those of us that prefer to live a M$ free life.

One question though. I am an old comand line person, so gUI tools are
sometimes not intuitive to me. How can I use Ry> > Cheers
thmBox to copy music files from directories on my ard drive to the iPhone?
I looked at the help pages, and they assume that I know more about GUI type
stuff than I do obviously.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.