Old 05-14-2010, 02:12 AM
Dotan Cohen

Default Extracting tarball in Nautilus

I am a KDE user using Nautilus for a few hours. How does one simply
extract a tarball to a folder in cwd in Nautilus? Googling the issue
leads me to believe that there should be an "extract here" item on the
context menu, however I don't have such an item. I'm on Kubuntu 9.10.

Karl, please do not reply. Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Old 05-14-2010, 02:48 AM
Karl Auer

On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 05:12 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I am a KDE user using Nautilus for a few hours. How does one simply
> extract a tarball to a folder in cwd in Nautilus? Googling the issue
> leads me to believe that there should be an "extract here" item on the
> context menu, however I don't have such an item. I'm on Kubuntu 9.10.
>
> Karl, please do not reply. Thanks.

I'm the other Karl :-)

Here's how it works for me, admittedly from within Gnome. I don't know
if the archive manager is the same app in both environments.

If I right click on the archive (tarball), either on my Desktop or from
within Nautilus, I can select "Open with...". If the archive is a known
type like .tar.gz, then the Archive manager utility is presented as the
default, and will be invoked if I just left-click on the archive.

Either way the Archive Manager opens and the files at the top level of
the archive are presented. There is a button at the top of the Archive
Manager labelled "Extract".

If I click "Extract", I am presented with a file dialogue allowing me to
select a target directory, or create a new folder (button at top far
right). There are a couple of extraction options at the bottom of the
dialogue - recreate folders, overwrite files etc.

If I hit the "Save" button, the archive is extracted into the selected
directory, and I get a dialogue asking if I want to open the folder.

The File->"Extract..." menu item and the right-click pop-up menu on any
item inside the archive all do the same thing, except that if I have
"drilled down" in the archive, only the currently selected item will be
extracted.

There is no "Extract here" option as such, but if you just click
"Extract" and then "save" you get that effect.

Regards, K.

http://www.biplane.com.au/~kauer/ +61-428-957160 (mob)

GPG fingerprint: B386 7819 B227 2961 8301 C5A9 2EBC 754B CD97 0156
Old fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF

Old 05-14-2010, 02:55 AM
Dotan Cohen

On 14 May 2010 05:48, Karl Auer <kauer@biplane.com.au> wrote:
> I'm the other Karl :-)
>
> Here's how it works for me, admittedly from within Gnome. I don't know
> if the archive manager is the same app in both environments.
>
> If I right click on the archive (tarball), either on my Desktop or from
> within Nautilus, I can select "Open with...". If the archive is a known
> type like .tar.gz, then the Archive manager utility is presented as the
> default, and will be invoked if I just left-click on the archive.
>
> Either way the Archive Manager opens and the files at the top level of
> the archive are presented. There is a button at the top of the Archive
> Manager labelled "Extract".
>
> If I click "Extract", I am presented with a file dialogue allowing me to
> select a target directory, or create a new folder (button at top far
> right). There are a couple of extraction options at the bottom of the
> dialogue - recreate folders, overwrite files etc.
>
> If I hit the "Save" button, the archive is extracted into the selected
> directory, and I get a dialogue asking if I want to open the folder.
>
> The File->"Extract..." menu item and the right-click pop-up menu on any
> item inside the archive all do the same thing, except that if I have
> "drilled down" in the archive, only the currently selected item will be
> extracted.
>
> There is no "Extract here" option as such, but if you just click
> "Extract" and then "save" you get that effect.

Thanks! When I try to extract with the Archive Mounter (as the default
action is called on this system, in English) to the same directory as
tarball itself, nothing happens. No feedback, no new folder.

When I try to extract with Ark (I think it might ba a KDE app) then I
get his error (translated):
"This location is not supported".

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Old 05-14-2010, 02:56 AM
Karl Auer

On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 12:48 +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 05:12 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I am a KDE user using Nautilus for a few hours. How does one simply
> > extract a tarball to a folder in cwd in Nautilus? Googling the issue
> > leads me to believe that there should be an "extract here" item on the
> > context menu, however I don't have such an item. I'm on Kubuntu 9.10.
>
> There is no "Extract here" option as such, but if you just click
> "Extract" and then "save" you get that effect.

Er, just read your query more carefully. In Gnome, there *is* an
"Extract here" option on the context menu, whether you right click on
the item on the desktop or from within nautilus. And it extracts the
item to the directory containing the archive, although it does make sure
there is a containing subdirectory (i.e., it creates a subdirectory
based on the archive's name, and extracts into that)..

Sorry, K.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:58 AM
Dotan Cohen

On 14 May 2010 05:56, Karl Auer <kauer@biplane.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 12:48 +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
>> On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 05:12 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> > I am a KDE user using Nautilus for a few hours. How does one simply
>> > extract a tarball to a folder in cwd in Nautilus? Googling the issue
>> > leads me to believe that there should be an "extract here" item on the
>> > context menu, however I don't have such an item. I'm on Kubuntu 9.10.
>>
>> There is no "Extract here" option as such, but if you just click
>> "Extract" and then "save" you get that effect.
>
> Er, just read your query more carefully. In Gnome, there *is* an
> "Extract here" option on the context menu, whether you right click on
> the item on the desktop or from within nautilus. And it extracts the
> item to the directory containing the archive, although it does make sure
> there is a containing subdirectory (i.e., it creates a subdirectory
> based on the archive's name, and extracts into that)..

Yes, that is exactly how KDE does it as well. I suspect a relation
between the missing menu item and the error that I get when I try to
extract "here".

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com