Old 05-13-2010, 07:14 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default thoughts on hot, new ubuntu laptop?

i need a new laptop anyway, so i'm looking at one of these:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01896913&tmp_task=prodinfoCatego ry&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4041797

anyone have any thoughts on whether there would be any show-stopper
issues with running ubuntu? mostly, i'm always worried about video
card issues, and i definitely want to dig into multimedia apps.
thanks.

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 05-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Pastor JW

On Thursday 13 May 2010 12:14:59 pm Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> i need a new laptop anyway, so i'm looking at one of these:
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01896913&tmp_task=prod
>infoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4041797
>
> anyone have any thoughts on whether there would be any show-stopper
> issues with running ubuntu? mostly, i'm always worried about video
> card issues, and i definitely want to dig into multimedia apps.

Well, it seems to have most of the specs of this one
http://zareason.com/shop/product.php?productid=16231&cat=250&page=1 except of
course lacking the windoze infection, so it ought to work just fine. Ours
arrived with 8 Gig of memory and Kubuntu 10.04.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403

Old 05-13-2010, 11:56 PM

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 15:14, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> *i need a new laptop anyway, so i'm looking at one of these:
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01896913&tmp_task=prodinfoCatego ry&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4041797
>
> anyone have any thoughts on whether there would be any show-stopper
> issues with running ubuntu? *mostly, i'm always worried about video
> card issues, and i definitely want to dig into multimedia apps.
> thanks.

The only thing that stands out to me is the nVidia card, but it should
work just fine using the actua nVidia drivers (*installable via the
System/Administration/Hardware Drivers tool). I have a GT 240 M in my
laptop and it works just fine at full resolution using the nVidia
driver... the nouveau driver on works at lower resolution (and I have
a 1080P LED lit screen) but the nVidia drivers work at full
resolution.