Old 05-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Christopher Biessener

Default flashplugin-nonfree broken

$ apt-get install --reinstall flashplugin-nonfree
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
flashplugin-nonfree: Depends: flashplugin-installer but it is not
going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
specify a solution).
$ apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
flashplugin-installer flashplugin-nonfree
Suggested packages:
konqueror-nsplugins ttf-xfree86-nonfree xfs
flashplugin-installer
flashplugin-nonfree
1 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/21.4kB of archives.
After this operation, 61.4kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Preconfiguring packages ...
dpkg: error processing flashplugin-nonfree (--remove):
Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
reinstall it before attempting a removal.
flashplugin-nonfree

Old 05-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Luis Paulo

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Christopher Biessener
<christopherpb@voomtech.com> wrote:
> [...]
> $ apt-get -f install
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Correcting dependencies... Done
> * flashplugin-installer flashplugin-nonfree
> Suggested packages:
> * konqueror-nsplugins ttf-xfree86-nonfree xfs
> * flashplugin-installer
> * flashplugin-nonfree
> [...]
> Preconfiguring packages ...
> dpkg: error processing flashplugin-nonfree (--remove):
> *Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
> *reinstall it before attempting a removal.
> *flashplugin-nonfree

What about
$ sudo apt-get --no-upgrade install flashplugin-installer

vas-y

take another look at
$ man apt-get

and please use bottom post. Post you text after the quoted text. Please.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Janne Jokitalo

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:12:43AM -0500, Christopher Biessener wrote:
> $ apt-get install --reinstall flashplugin-nonfree
<snip>
> dpkg: error processing flashplugin-nonfree (--remove):
> Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
> reinstall it before attempting a removal.
> flashplugin-nonfree

Please, don't top-post. I'm tired of re-organizing the posts, so I deleted the
earlier discussion, which is always a loss for someone who reads in midst of
thread.

Okay, so that didn't work. Try:

$ sudo dpkg -r --force-remove-reinstreq flashplugin-nonfree

--
Jaska

Old 05-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Christopher Biessener

On 05/13/2010 11:29 AM, Janne Jokitalo wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:12:43AM -0500, Christopher Biessener wrote:
>> $ apt-get install --reinstall flashplugin-nonfree
> <snip>
>> dpkg: error processing flashplugin-nonfree (--remove):
>> Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
>> reinstall it before attempting a removal.
>> Errors were encountered while processing:
>> flashplugin-nonfree
>> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>
> Please, don't top-post. I'm tired of re-organizing the posts, so I deleted the
> earlier discussion, which is always a loss for someone who reads in midst of
> thread.
>
> Okay, so that didn't work. Try:
>
> $ sudo dpkg -r --force-remove-reinstreq flashplugin-nonfree
$ dpkg -r --force-remove-reinstreq flashplugin-nonfree
dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
reinstall it before attempting a removal.
(Reading database ... 338350 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing flashplugin-nonfree ...
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for iceape-flashplugin.
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for iceape-flashplugin.
dpkg: error processing flashplugin-nonfree (--remove):
subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
postinst called with argument `abort-remove'
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
flashplugin-nonfree

Is there a way to edit the package list and remove the
flashplugin-nonfree entry?

I've also tried 'apt-get -m install dselect' because the manpage for
apt-get -f recommends using dselect... The -m flag did not work either.

Thanks again,

Christopher

Old 05-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Janne Jokitalo

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 12:27:39PM -0500, Christopher Biessener wrote:
> On 05/13/2010 11:29 AM, Janne Jokitalo wrote:
> > On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:12:43AM -0500, Christopher Biessener wrote:
> >> $ apt-get install --reinstall flashplugin-nonfree
> > <snip>
> >> dpkg: error processing flashplugin-nonfree (--remove):
> >> Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
> >> reinstall it before attempting a removal.
> >> Errors were encountered while processing:
> >> flashplugin-nonfree
> >> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
> >
> > Please, don't top-post. I'm tired of re-organizing the posts, so I deleted the
> > earlier discussion, which is always a loss for someone who reads in midst of
> > thread.
> >
> > Okay, so that didn't work. Try:
> >
> > $ sudo dpkg -r --force-remove-reinstreq flashplugin-nonfree
> $ dpkg -r --force-remove-reinstreq flashplugin-nonfree
> dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
> Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
> reinstall it before attempting a removal.
> (Reading database ... 338350 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing flashplugin-nonfree ...
> update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for iceape-flashplugin.
> update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for iceape-flashplugin.
> dpkg: error processing flashplugin-nonfree (--remove):
> subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
> postinst called with argument `abort-remove'
> dpkg: error while cleaning up:
> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> flashplugin-nonfree

Uh oh, sneaky little thing.

> Is there a way to edit the package list and remove the
> flashplugin-nonfree entry?

Well, I believe that's the final resort, unless someone else comes up with a
better idea. You can find it in /var/lib/dpkg/status, but please PLEASE back it
up first.

> I've also tried 'apt-get -m install dselect' because the manpage for
> apt-get -f recommends using dselect... The -m flag did not work either.

I'm not sure any front-end to dpkg resolves this for you. It's up to dpkg, but
sometimes even it becomes confused. If adding "--force-all" to the
above-mentioned dpkg command doesn't do the trick, then I would edit the package
list by hand. Good luck!

--
Jaska

Old 05-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Christopher Biessener

On 05/13/2010 12:37 PM, Janne Jokitalo wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 12:27:39PM -0500, Christopher Biessener wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Please, don't top-post. I'm tired of re-organizing the posts, so I deleted the
>>> earlier discussion, which is always a loss for someone who reads in midst of
>>> thread.
>>>
>>> Okay, so that didn't work. Try:
>>>
>>> $ sudo dpkg -r --force-remove-reinstreq flashplugin-nonfree
>> $ dpkg -r --force-remove-reinstreq flashplugin-nonfree
>> dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
>> Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
>> reinstall it before attempting a removal.
>> (Reading database ... 338350 files and directories currently installed.)
>> Removing flashplugin-nonfree ...
>> update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for iceape-flashplugin.
>> update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for iceape-flashplugin.
>> dpkg: error processing flashplugin-nonfree (--remove):
>> subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
>> postinst called with argument `abort-remove'
>> dpkg: error while cleaning up:
>> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>> Errors were encountered while processing:
>> flashplugin-nonfree
>
> Uh oh, sneaky little thing.
>
>> Is there a way to edit the package list and remove the
>> flashplugin-nonfree entry?
>
> Well, I believe that's the final resort, unless someone else comes up with a
> better idea. You can find it in /var/lib/dpkg/status, but please PLEASE back it
> up first.
>
>> I've also tried 'apt-get -m install dselect' because the manpage for
>> apt-get -f recommends using dselect... The -m flag did not work either.
>
> I'm not sure any front-end to dpkg resolves this for you. It's up to dpkg, but
> sometimes even it becomes confused. If adding "--force-all" to the
> above-mentioned dpkg command doesn't do the trick, then I would edit the package
> list by hand. Good luck!
Editing /var/lib/dpkg/status has cleared my problem. Before I made the
edit I looked at the installed files list. It didn't have anything but
its directories, so it was safe.

-Christopher

Old 05-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Janne Jokitalo

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 01:10:29PM -0500, Christopher Biessener wrote:
> > Well, I believe that's the final resort, unless someone else comes up with a
> > better idea. You can find it in /var/lib/dpkg/status, but please PLEASE back it
> > up first.
> >
> >> I've also tried 'apt-get -m install dselect' because the manpage for
> >> apt-get -f recommends using dselect... The -m flag did not work either.
> >
> > I'm not sure any front-end to dpkg resolves this for you. It's up to dpkg, but
> > sometimes even it becomes confused. If adding "--force-all" to the
> > above-mentioned dpkg command doesn't do the trick, then I would edit the package
> > list by hand. Good luck!
> Editing /var/lib/dpkg/status has cleared my problem. Before I made the
> edit I looked at the installed files list. It didn't have anything but
> its directories, so it was safe.

Okay, good to hear things work for you again.

--
Jaska

Old 05-13-2010, 08:36 PM
"Juan R. de Silva"

On Thu, 13 May 2010 10:49:46 -0500, Christopher Biessener wrote:

> I just finished skimming through the archives... I have not seen
> similar 10.04 upgrade issues.
> I was running 8.04 happily and wanted the new firefox and OpenOffice
> with ubuntu's blessing instead of manually installing them, so I chose
> to upgrade to the new LTS. Everything went fine with one exception:
>
> my 10.0.1.218+really9.0.262.0ubuntu1 package is broken
>
> Synaptic will not fix it, it's output from "Complete Removal" follows:
>
> dpkg: error processing flashplugin-nonfree (--purge):
> Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should reinstall
> it before attempting a removal.
> flashplugin-nonfree
>
> The "Reinstall" option is greyed out. I cannot reinstall it. I cannot
> remove it. Any suggestions?

I had the same problem and resolved it following these sources:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/flashplugin-nonfree/+bug/429841

Read if you want to understand the problem.

To simplify it for you, here is the actual fix.

1.

rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/flashplugin-nonfree.prerm
dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq flashplugin-nonfree
dpkg --purge --force-remove-reinstreq flashplugin-nonfree

This should stop any errors related to the flashplugin-nonfree broken
package.

To re-install flashplugin-nonfree proceed with the step 2.

2.

- Enable medubuntu repository in Software Sources applet which was
disabled by Lucid installer/updater.
- Reload sources.
- Find in Synaptic flashplugin-installer and install it.

Done.