Old 05-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Kjetil Halvorsen

Default Problems with emacs 23 in ubuntu 10.04

One BIG problem with ububtu 10.04 (32 bit version) (for me the largest problem!) is that
gnu emacs malfunctions! On starting up emacs, (large) parts of the text in the emacs buffers
are overwritten by black lines, making the text in the buffer difficult to impossible to read.

This showed up after updating to 10.04, then (seemed to) disappear for some days, but today, after running update, reappeared.
What to do?
Its difficult for me to work without a working emacs!

kjetil

--
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies.
The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

St. Augustine, De Genesi ad Litteram, Book II, xviii, 37

Old 05-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Christoph Bier

Kjetil Halvorsen schrieb am 13.05.2010 17:25:

> One BIG problem with ububtu 10.04 (32 bit version) (for me the largest
> problem!) is that
> gnu emacs malfunctions! On starting up emacs, (large) parts of the text in
> the emacs buffers
> are overwritten by black lines, making the text in the buffer difficult to
> impossible to read.
> This showed up after updating to 10.04, then (seemed to) disappear for some
> days, but today, after running update, reappeared.
> What to do?
>
> Its difficult for me to work without a working emacs!

Same problem here, Emacs 23 even freezes my desktop. But you can
still use Emacs 22 in 10.04---but without antialiasing :-( ... I
already asked in the german Ubuntu mailing list, still waiting for
an answer.

Best
Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln (1.7): http://zvisionwelt.de/?page_id=56

Old 05-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Kjetil Halvorsen

followup to self:

I just did an experiment, I killed the firefox process, and then started emacs 23.
Then the problem symptoms disappeared!!

Kjetil

Old 05-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Christoph Bier

Kjetil Halvorsen schrieb am 13.05.2010 22:28:

> followup to self:
>
> I just did an experiment, I killed the firefox process, and then started
> emacs 23.
> Then the problem symptoms disappeared!!

Did not help here. JFTR: Here's a screenshot (after killing FF):
http://www.zvisionwelt.de/tmpdownloads/Emacs23-Lucid.png

Best
Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln (1.7): http://zvisionwelt.de/?page_id=56

Old 05-17-2010, 04:59 AM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

> Christoph Bier <christoph.bier@web.de> :
>> I just did an experiment, I killed the firefox process, and then
>> started emacs 23.
>> Then the problem symptoms disappeared!!
>
>Did not help here. JFTR: Here's a screenshot (after killing FF):
>http://www.zvisionwelt.de/tmpdownloads/Emacs23-Lucid.png

File a bug, then.

+261 3456 000 19

Old 06-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen

I have filed a bug with the emacs-project. But yesterday and today I discovered something new: The exact
same problem occurs in openoffice calk!!!!, under the same circumstances: many other windoes/processes open.
¿Can this be a gnome problem?

Where should this be reported if it is not only an emacs problem?

Kjetil

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 00:59, Mihamina Rakotomandimby <mihamina@gulfsat.mg> wrote:

> Christoph Bier <christoph.bier@web.de> :

>> I just did an experiment, I killed the firefox process, and then

>> started emacs 23.

>> Then the problem symptoms disappeared!!

>Did not help here. JFTR: Here's a screenshot (after killing FF):

>http://www.zvisionwelt.de/tmpdownloads/Emacs23-Lucid.png

File a bug, then.

--

* * * Architecte Informatique chez Blueline/Gulfsat:

* *Administration Systeme, Recherche & Developpement

Old 06-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Pete Vander Giessen

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Kjetil Halvorsen <kjetil1001@gmail.com> wrote:
> On starting up emacs, (large) parts of the text in the emacs buffers
> are overwritten by black lines ...
>
> Its difficult for me to work without a working emacs!

Hi Kjetil,

Have you tried disabling destkop effects? (System -> Preferences ->
Appearance -> Visual Effects -- set it to "None") That's a good place
to start if you're having rendering issues in any program, and while
losing interface snazziness is sad, it is even more sad to not have a
working copy of the One True Editor ;-)

The next step would be to tell us more about your computer (video
card, window manager, anything weird in your .emacs etc). I'm running
Emacs in 10.04 64bit on a Thinkpad with an Intel video card, and it's
working just fine; it's probably an issue with your specific hardware
or config, rather than an issue with Emacs and Ubuntu, generally.

~ PeteVG

" ... the original aphorism being 'In comparison with the ancients, we
stand like dwarfs on the shoulders of giants.' The image was a
commonplace by the time Newton used it, his one contribution being to
erase any sense that he himself might be a dwarf."

~ Lewis Hyde

Old 06-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Christoph Bier

Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen schrieb am 09.06.2010 23:32:

> I have filed a bug with the emacs-project.

Thanks!

> But yesterday and today I
> discovered something new: The exact
> same problem occurs in openoffice calk!!!!, under the same
> circumstances: many other windoes/processes open.
> ¿Can this be a gnome problem?

I guess it's a graphic card problem. What graphic card and which
driver do you use? On my desktop PC where I have the same problem I
have an NVidia card with the proprietary driver and on my laptop
where I do not have the problem I have an Intel graphic card with
the Intel driver.

Best
Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln (1.7): http://zvisionwelt.de/?page_id=56

Old 06-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen

see below:

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 07:23, Christoph Bier <christoph.bier@web.de> wrote:

Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen schrieb am 09.06.2010 23:32:

> I have filed a bug with the emacs-project.

Thanks!

> But yesterday and today I

> discovered something new: The exact

> same problem occurs in openoffice calk!!!!, under the same

> circumstances: many other windoes/processes open.

> ¿Can this be a gnome problem?

I guess it's a graphic card problem. What graphic card and which

driver do you use? On my desktop PC where I have the same problem I

have an NVidia card with the proprietary driver and on my laptop

where I do not have the problem I have an Intel graphic card with

the Intel driver.

Here is the technical info for the problem machine:

kjetil@familien:~$ sudo lspci
[sudo] password for kjetil:
00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Memory Controller (rev a2)

00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 ISA Bridge (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP67 SMBus (rev a2)
00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:01.3 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Co-processor (rev a2)

00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a2)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2)
00:04.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a2)

00:04.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2)
00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP67 IDE Controller (rev a1)
00:07.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP67 High Definition Audio (rev a1)

00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP67 AHCI Controller (rev a2)
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Ethernet (rev a2)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)

00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)
00:12.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C67 [GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M] (rev a2)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration

00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control

02:05.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
02:05.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
02:05.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 12)

02:05.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)
02:05.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev ff)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

so yes, it has an nvidia card.

Kjetil
*
Best