Old 05-13-2010, 08:50 AM
Dotan Cohen

Default Linux gaming: support it NOW

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_steam_announcemen t&num=1

This is probably the most important way to show software houses that
there is demand for Linux applications. If you game, buy this!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Old 05-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Avi Greenbury

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_steam_announcemen t&num=1
>
> This is probably the most important way to show software houses that
> there is demand for Linux applications. If you game, buy this!

Er, buy what exactly? There's no details of any pay-for products there,
just a promise of native steam on Linux.

--
Avi Greenbury

Old 05-13-2010, 09:54 AM

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 05:48, Avi Greenbury
<avismailinglistaccount@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_steam_announcemen t&num=1
>>
>> This is probably the most important way to show software houses that
>> there is demand for Linux applications. If you game, buy this!
>>

> Er, buy what exactly? There's no details of any pay-for products there,
> just a promise of native steam on Linux.

I'd say that while not detailed, THIS is pretty definitive on what
will be coming:
http://www.valvesoftware.com/job-SenSoftEngineer.html

Specifically, this line:

* Port Windows-based games to the Linux platform.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Dotan Cohen

On 13 May 2010 12:48, Avi Greenbury
<avismailinglistaccount@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_steam_announcemen t&num=1
>>
>> This is probably the most important way to show software houses that
>> there is demand for Linux applications. If you game, buy this!
>>

> Er, buy what exactly? There's no details of any pay-for products there,
> just a promise of native steam on Linux.

Although it is not released yet, it is important for those who would
like to promote desktop Linux to know that a native Linux Steam client
is in the works. If for no other reason, than _not_ to bug the Windows
client to run in Wine.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Old 05-13-2010, 10:38 PM
"Fred A. Miller"

On 05/13/2010 05:54 AM, J wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 05:48, Avi Greenbury
> <avismailinglistaccount@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> > Er, buy what exactly? There's no details of any pay-for products there,
>> > just a promise of native steam on Linux.
>>
> I'd say that while not detailed, THIS is pretty definitive on what
> will be coming:
> http://www.valvesoftware.com/job-SenSoftEngineer.html
>
> Specifically, this line:
>
> * Port Windows-based games to the Linux platform.

Oh yeah.......been one of the things we've wanted for a LONG time to
help move
Linux into the mainstream.

Fred

Old 05-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Christopher Lemire

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Fred A. Miller <fmiller@lightlink.com> wrote:
> On 05/13/2010 05:54 AM, J wrote:

>> I'd say that while not detailed, THIS is pretty definitive on what
>> will be coming:
>> http://www.valvesoftware.com/job-SenSoftEngineer.html
>>
>> Specifically, this line:
>>
>> * Port Windows-based games to the Linux platform.
>
> Oh yeah.......been one of the things we've wanted for a LONG time to
> help move
> Linux into the mainstream.
>
> Fred

It's mentioned in my blog here.

http://linuxinnovations.blogspot.com

--
Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire@gmail.com>
Ubuntu 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0

Old 05-18-2010, 06:46 AM
Steve Lamb

On 05/13/2010 04:57 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 13 May 2010 12:48, Avi Greenbury

>> Er, buy what exactly? There's no details of any pay-for products there,
>> just a promise of native steam on Linux.

Part and Parcel of Steam coming to Linux is that Source is also coming to
Linux. Source is Valve's game engine behind Half-Life 2, Portal and Team
Fortress 2. Chances are current customers who have all of those will get the
Linux versions for free. I believe this is how it is working on the Mac port
of Steam/Source. But for those who haven't gotten Valve's games, this would
be a perfect time. TF2's pretty much the model of how to support an FPS.

> Although it is not released yet, it is important for those who would
> like to promote desktop Linux to know that a native Linux Steam client
> is in the works. If for no other reason, than _not_ to bug the Windows
> client to run in Wine.

This, too. But to be fair the best part about this is that Linux will
now be counted natively when the Steam hardware survey comes around.

--
Steve C. Lamb | But who decides what they dream?
PGP Key: 8B6E99C5 | And dream I do...