FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-12-2010, 11:28 PM
dbclinton
 
Default 10.04 crashes

Hi,
I'm experiencing serious crashes (three or four a day) on my new
edubuntu 10.04 install. This is the third fresh install I've done - on
two separate hard drives - and the problem persists. With no clear
trigger, the screen will go blank, followed by strange black and white
patterns and then the monitor will lose its signal. These will cycle
through indefinitely. Interestingly, while my computer (a thin client
server) is affected, the thin clients themselves can continue working
for half and hour after the crash.
Here is the relevant log output:
==============
auth.log:
May 12 18:48:56 rishon polkitd(authority=local): Unregistered
Authentication Agent for session /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session2
(system bus name :1.33, object
path /org/gnome/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.utf8)
(disconnected from bus)
May 12 18:48:56 rishon gnome-keyring-daemon[1312]: dbus failure
unregistering from session: Connection is closed

syslog:
May 12 18:39:06 rishon AptDaemon: INFO: Initializing daemon
May 12 18:44:07 rishon AptDaemon: INFO: Quiting due to inactivity
May 12 18:44:07 rishon AptDaemon: INFO: Shutdown was requested
May 12 18:48:53 rishon kernel: [11934.376061]
[drm:i915_hangcheck_elapsed] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
May 12 18:48:53 rishon kernel: [11934.376080] render error detected,
EIR: 0x00000000
May 12 18:48:53 rishon kernel: [11934.376178] [drm:i915_do_wait_request]
*ERROR* i915_do_wait_request returns -5 (awaiting 979106 at 979105)
May 12 18:48:55 rishon kernel: [11936.292165] [drm:i915_gem_idle]
*ERROR* hardware wedged
May 12 18:49:00 rishon gdm-simple-slave[6803]: WARNING: Unable to load
file '/etc/gdm/custom.conf': No such file or directory
May 12 18:49:01 rishon kernel: [11941.894959] __ratelimit: 15 callbacks
suppressed
May 12 18:49:01 rishon kernel: [11941.894981] ica[1567]: segfault at 0
ip 00524405 sp b74a8b70 error 4 in libQtCore.so.4.6.2[496000+276000]
May 12 18:49:01 rishon pulseaudio[6814]: pid.c: Stale PID file,
overwriting.
May 12 18:49:02 rishon acpid: client 6021[0:0] has disconnected
May 12 18:49:02 rishon acpid: client 827[0:0] has disconnected
May 12 18:49:02 rishon acpid: client connected from 6821[0:0]
May 12 18:49:02 rishon acpid: 1 client rule loaded
May 12 18:49:02 rishon pulseaudio[6814]: main.c: Unable to contact
D-Bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer: Failed to connect to
socket /tmp/dbus-KtiXQ9KyA7: Connection refused
May 12 18:49:03 rishon bonobo-activation-server (dbclinton-6830): could
not associate with desktop session: Failed to connect to
socket /tmp/dbus-KtiXQ9KyA7: Connection refused
May 12 18:49:03 rishon pulseaudio[6828]: pid.c: Daemon already running.
May 12 18:49:04 rishon pulseaudio[6837]: pid.c: Daemon already running.
May 12 18:49:04 rishon kernel: [11945.170708]
[drm:i915_gem_entervt_ioctl] *ERROR* Reenabling wedged hardware, good
luck
May 12 18:49:04 rishon kernel: [11945.552023]
[drm:i915_hangcheck_elapsed] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
May 12 18:49:04 rishon kernel: [11945.552036] render error detected,
EIR: 0x00000000
May 12 18:49:04 rishon kernel: [11945.552106] [drm:i915_do_wait_request]
*ERROR* i915_do_wait_request returns -5 (awaiting 979121 at 979105)
May 12 18:49:06 rishon kernel: [11947.660091] [drm:i915_gem_idle]
*ERROR* hardware wedged

kern.log
May 12 18:48:53 rishon kernel: [11934.376061]
[drm:i915_hangcheck_elapsed] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
May 12 18:48:53 rishon kernel: [11934.376080] render error detected,
EIR: 0x00000000
May 12 18:48:53 rishon kernel: [11934.376178] [drm:i915_do_wait_request]
*ERROR* i915_do_wait_request returns -5 (awaiting 979106 at 979105)
May 12 18:48:55 rishon kernel: [11936.292165] [drm:i915_gem_idle]
*ERROR* hardware wedged
May 12 18:49:01 rishon kernel: [11941.894959] __ratelimit: 15 callbacks
suppresMay 12 18:49:56 rishon kernel: imklog 4.2.0, log source
= /proc/kmsg started.

=====================
I appreciate your help!
David


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Greg Bair
 
Default 10.04 crashes

On 05/12/2010 07:28 PM, dbclinton wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm experiencing serious crashes (three or four a day) on my new
> edubuntu 10.04 install. This is the third fresh install I've done - on
> two separate hard drives - and the problem persists. With no clear
> trigger, the screen will go blank, followed by strange black and white
> patterns and then the monitor will lose its signal. These will cycle
> through indefinitely. Interestingly, while my computer (a thin client
> server) is affected, the thin clients themselves can continue working
> for half and hour after the crash.
> Here is the relevant log output:
>
> =====================
> I appreciate your help!
> David
>
>
I'm guessing you have an intel i915 chipset on your graphics card. This
is a known issue that I've been dealing with. My fix was to go back to
9.04, the last version that doesn't do this. However, the X and kernel
team are trying to figure it out.

It has to do with the way the kernel (or the xserver) is writing to the
graphics card. Something's getting borked.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-13-2010, 01:19 AM
dbclinton
 
Default 10.04 crashes

On Wed, 2010-05-12 at 20:00 -0400, Greg Bair wrote:
> On 05/12/2010 07:28 PM, dbclinton wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm experiencing serious crashes (three or four a day) on my new
> > edubuntu 10.04 install. This is the third fresh install I've done - on
> > two separate hard drives - and the problem persists. With no clear
> > trigger, the screen will go blank, followed by strange black and white
> > patterns and then the monitor will lose its signal. These will cycle
> > through indefinitely. Interestingly, while my computer (a thin client
> > server) is affected, the thin clients themselves can continue working
> > for half and hour after the crash.
> > Here is the relevant log output:
> >
> > =====================
> > I appreciate your help!
> > David
> >
> >
> I'm guessing you have an intel i915 chipset on your graphics card. This
> is a known issue that I've been dealing with. My fix was to go back to
> 9.04, the last version that doesn't do this. However, the X and kernel
> team are trying to figure it out.
>
> It has to do with the way the kernel (or the xserver) is writing to the
> graphics card. Something's getting borked.

It is intel, though I don't think it's i915. Here's the lshw output:
===================
description: VGA compatible controller
product: 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated
Graphics Device
vendor: Intel Corporation
===================
As it happens, I've connected the crashes to gnome-screensaver. Besides
the fact that the screensaver had been acting very strangely (requiring
passwords when it was set NOT to lock down, offering the whole
user-pulldown menu for login despite being part of one user's session),
I could directly cause the crash by clicking on certain screensavers
(like ant-flashlight) in the gui.
In the meantime, I've uninstalled gnome-screensaver. Hope this works in
the short term.
Thanks!

>



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-13-2010, 02:20 AM
NoOp
 
Default 10.04 crashes

On 05/12/2010 06:19 PM, dbclinton wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-05-12 at 20:00 -0400, Greg Bair wrote:
>> On 05/12/2010 07:28 PM, dbclinton wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I'm experiencing serious crashes (three or four a day) on my new
>> > edubuntu 10.04 install. This is the third fresh install I've done - on
>> > two separate hard drives - and the problem persists. With no clear
>> > trigger, the screen will go blank, followed by strange black and white
>> > patterns and then the monitor will lose its signal. These will cycle
>> > through indefinitely. Interestingly, while my computer (a thin client
>> > server) is affected, the thin clients themselves can continue working
>> > for half and hour after the crash.
>> > Here is the relevant log output:
>> >
>> > =====================
>> > I appreciate your help!
>> > David
>> >
>> >
>> I'm guessing you have an intel i915 chipset on your graphics card. This
>> is a known issue that I've been dealing with. My fix was to go back to
>> 9.04, the last version that doesn't do this. However, the X and kernel
>> team are trying to figure it out.
>>
>> It has to do with the way the kernel (or the xserver) is writing to the
>> graphics card. Something's getting borked.
>
> It is intel, though I don't think it's i915. Here's the lshw output:
> ===================
> description: VGA compatible controller
> product: 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated
> Graphics Device
> vendor: Intel Corporation
> ===================
> As it happens, I've connected the crashes to gnome-screensaver. Besides
> the fact that the screensaver had been acting very strangely (requiring
> passwords when it was set NOT to lock down, offering the whole
> user-pulldown menu for login despite being part of one user's session),
> I could directly cause the crash by clicking on certain screensavers
> (like ant-flashlight) in the gui.
> In the meantime, I've uninstalled gnome-screensaver. Hope this works in
> the short term.
> Thanks!

You might want to keep your eye on these bug reports (i.e., subscribe to
the bug so that you'll get updated comments)

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/541492?comments=all>
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/554835
and of course:
<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=82845G%2FGL>
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel>
<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&source=hp&q=ubuntu+%2Bluci d+%2B82845G%2FGL&btnG=Google+Search>





--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-13-2010, 03:45 AM
dbclinton
 
Default 10.04 crashes

On Wed, 2010-05-12 at 19:20 -0700, NoOp wrote:

> You might want to keep your eye on these bug reports (i.e., subscribe to
> the bug so that you'll get updated comments)
>
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/541492?comments=all>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/554835
> and of course:
> <https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=82845G%2FGL>
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel>
> <http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&source=hp&q=ubuntu+%2Bluci d+%2B82845G%2FGL&btnG=Google+Search>

Thanks. I appreciate that.
>
>
>
>
>



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:25 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org