Old 05-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Alex Schuster

Default Why do I get the Recovery Menu on every reboot?

Hi there!

First, I am quite new to Ubuntu. I had used Debian already, but thas was
ten years ago. Now, we are migrating our compute servers at my institute
from Fedora to Ubuntu. So far, I am quite pleased, I never liked Fedora
much, and Ubuntu is working just fine. And there are things like the
Debian Neuroscience Repository that ease the installation of our tools.
BTW, personally I am a long-time Gentoo user.

I have Ubuntu 9.10 server running on one of our servers for a while now,
and I want to duplicate it on the other servers. I do not want to do a
reinstall and add every change I did to the system to the others again and
again, so I created tar balls of the the partitions (using an LVM snapshot
for consistency), and unpacked that on a new machine. After some slight
changes (/etc/hosts and hostname, SSH keys, UDEV persistent net rules),
the new system boots fine, except for one problem: On every reboot, I get
the Recovery Menu. I cannot see all the options because some other boot
process overwrites some of the lines, but I guess you know what I mean. I
just press the enter key, and the system boots up just fine. Still, this
would be quite annoying for a headless server when some person has to go
down into the server room, plug in a keyboard and press the enter key when
one of the servers has to be rebooted.

So, does anyone have a quick idea what is going on? And how I can get rid
of this menu?

Wonko

Old 05-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Tom H

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:

> I have Ubuntu 9.10 server running on one of our servers for a while now,
> and I want to duplicate it on the other servers. I do not want to do a
> reinstall and add every change I did to the system to the others again and
> again, so I created tar balls of the the partitions (using an LVM snapshot
> for consistency), and unpacked that on a new machine. After some slight
> changes (/etc/hosts and hostname, SSH keys, UDEV persistent net rules),
> the new system boots fine, except for one problem: On every reboot, I get
> the Recovery Menu. I cannot see all the options because some other boot
> process overwrites some of the lines, but I guess you know what I mean. I
> just press the enter key, and the system boots up just fine. Still, this
> would be quite annoying for a headless server when some person has to go
> down into the server room, plug in a keyboard and press the enter key when
> one of the servers has to be rebooted.
>
> So, does anyone have a quick idea what is going on? And how I can get rid
> of this menu?

It looks like your grub menu is defaulting to a "single"/"recovery" entry.

So the solution MAY be to run "sudo update-grub"

Old 05-13-2010, 09:17 AM

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 19:31, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:
>>
>> I have Ubuntu 9.10 server running on one of our servers for a while now,
>> and I want to duplicate it on the other servers. I do not want to do a
>> reinstall and add every change I did to the system to the others again and
>> again, so I created tar balls of the the partitions (using an LVM snapshot
>> for consistency), and unpacked that on a new machine. After some slight
>> changes (/etc/hosts and hostname, SSH keys, UDEV persistent net rules),
>> the new system boots fine, except for one problem: On every reboot, I get
>> the Recovery Menu. I cannot see all the options because some other boot
>> process overwrites some of the lines, but I guess you know what I mean. I
>> just press the enter key, and the system boots up just fine. Still, this
>> would be quite annoying for a headless server when some person has to go
>> down into the server room, plug in a keyboard and press the enter key when
>> one of the servers has to be rebooted.
>>
>> So, does anyone have a quick idea what is going on? And how I can get rid
>> of this menu?
>
> It looks like your grub menu is defaulting to a "single"/"recovery" entry.
>
> So the solution MAY be to run "sudo update-grub"

Perhaps grub is looking for data that is unique to the first machine
(e.g. a disk UUID that can not exist on your 2nd server)

Old 05-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Alex Schuster

Tom H writes:

> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org>
> wrote:

> > So, does anyone have a quick idea what is going on? And how I can get
> > rid of this menu?
>
> It looks like your grub menu is defaulting to a "single"/"recovery"
> entry.

Whoops. You are right. My apologies, this was a really stupid error on my
side.

> So the solution MAY be to run "sudo update-grub"

I kept the old grub installation from Fedora, and only added another entry
for Ubuntu. This way I did not change the current setup, and we can still
boot the old system if we like. Well, and I do not know much about the new
grub yet.
And yes, the 'single' is there, I overlooked it when copying the entry
from the other Ubuntu install. Thanks for the quick help, I guess it will
be fine now.

Wonko

Old 05-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Tom H

Old 05-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Tom H

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 5:17 AM, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 19:31, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have Ubuntu 9.10 server running on one of our servers for a while now,
>>> and I want to duplicate it on the other servers. I do not want to do a
>>> reinstall and add every change I did to the system to the others again and
>>> again, so I created tar balls of the the partitions (using an LVM snapshot
>>> for consistency), and unpacked that on a new machine. After some slight
>>> changes (/etc/hosts and hostname, SSH keys, UDEV persistent net rules),
>>> the new system boots fine, except for one problem: On every reboot, I get
>>> the Recovery Menu. I cannot see all the options because some other boot
>>> process overwrites some of the lines, but I guess you know what I mean. I
>>> just press the enter key, and the system boots up just fine. Still, this
>>> would be quite annoying for a headless server when some person has to go
>>> down into the server room, plug in a keyboard and press the enter key when
>>> one of the servers has to be rebooted.
>>>
>>> So, does anyone have a quick idea what is going on? And how I can get rid
>>> of this menu?
>>
>> It looks like your grub menu is defaulting to a "single"/"recovery" entry.
>>
>> So the solution MAY be to run "sudo update-grub"
>
> Perhaps grub is looking for data that is unique to the first machine
> (e.g. a disk UUID that can not exist on your 2nd server)

UUIDs are modified with a filesystem operation - for extX, mkfs.ext2,
mkfs.ext3, resize2fs, tune2fs.