Old 05-12-2010, 08:49 PM
David

Default 10.04: Ambiance theme does not take effect properly on upgraded box

[Apologies if this is a duplicate posting, I'm not sure whether the
original went out successfully..]

On my computer, the new Ambiance theme does not take effect properly
when selected.

The following do take effect:

Window border appearance and colour scheme
Window buttons (and positions)

The following do not take effect properly:

Colour scheme for system menus in the panel (and the clock text colour)
(The ubuntu icon turns grey-white, but the menu title text is dark on
dark and unreadable. The menu highlight color is brown (left over from
9.10?))

Colour scheme for some sections of the panel (notification area?)
(I seem to have lost my Keyboard Layout switcher icon as well)

Colour scheme for menubar in applications
(The application menubar is dark text on a light background, possibly
unchanged from what it was in the previous theme)

This computer was updated in-place from 9.10, and has been upgraded
in-place through each release for quite some time (I think there may
have been one upgrade that had problems that I couldn't resolve and
had to do a fresh install (keeping /home).

Although an Ubuntu base install, I added and used KDE for quite some
time (until KDE 4.. :-( [1]) before switching back to GNOME. I have
noticed that switching between themes in GNOME has rarely seemed to
quite work 'properly' for me, often with traces of the previous theme
still hanging around in the newly-selected theme (although I was too
lazy/busy to report it as a potential bug..).

[1] I wasn't very keen on the changes from KDE 3 to KDE 4, and it wasn't
very keen on my relatively old graphics card..

I've tried switching back and forth between various themes, to see if
this would cause the problem to resolve itself, but this seems to have
had no effect.

Does anybody have any ideas of any further steps I could take to try to
resolve this?

Thanks for any advice,

David.