Old 05-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Gary Kirkpatrick

Default install of nvidia 185 no internet access

I am in Panama (Peace Corps volunteer) and have several 'clients'
whose computers are racked by viruses (from flash drives mostly,
people take them to an internet cafe which obviously does not have
anti virus softare ) so I have installed Mini 8 along side the dirty
Windows. I used Mint since there is no internet access at the site, a
government agency, hoping I would not need to get these computers to
an internet connection. I have sound and video as a result but in one
case the nvidia driver would not install. 'Hardware' tells me that I
can use Nvidia accelerated graphics driver 173 or 96 but recommends
185. How do I install this without internet access?

I think I can just download the driver from the nvidia website and
copy to a cd or usb. If so, is there anything else I would have to do?
I have to travel a ways to do this so it would be better if i were
fully prepared.

Thanks

Gary K
your one and only ubuntu/linux 'rep' in the country as far as I know.
Gotta start somewhere. These people really need us! So far Ihave
installed on 4 computers.