Old 05-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Karl Larsen

Default Laptop and 10.04

I have a about 1 year old HP CQ50 139WM which has a 160 GB HD, 2 MB
RAM dual cpu 64 bit 10.04 installed.

Everything is working great on this machine! The USB ports all
work, and I can watch DVDmovies. So far as I can tell everything works fine!

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

Karl,
Karl Larsen said the following on 12/05/10 16:39:
> I have a about 1 year old HP CQ50 139WM which has a 160 GB HD, 2 MB
> RAM dual cpu 64 bit 10.04 installed.

Go to www.blogger.com, create an account and post these "everything
successful" messages there as much as you like it.

I don't see many others posting the status of every Ubuntu installation they
have in their house/workplace every hour. I have 2 PCs and four laptops
right here on my desk, shall I spam you with "Everything's fine!" messages
every so often?

Old 05-12-2010, 06:22 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Wed, 12 May 2010, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:

> Karl,
> Karl Larsen said the following on 12/05/10 16:39:
> > I have a about 1 year old HP CQ50 139WM which has a 160 GB HD, 2 MB
> > RAM dual cpu 64 bit 10.04 installed.
>
> Go to www.blogger.com, create an account and post these "everything
> successful" messages there as much as you like it.
>
> I don't see many others posting the status of every Ubuntu
> installation they have in their house/workplace every hour. I have 2
> PCs and four laptops right here on my desk, shall I spam you with
> "Everything's fine!" messages every so often?

you're wasting your breath, hakan. while i'm new to ubuntu (and i
really wanted to avoid getting into this discussion), i have plenty of
experience with karl from his time on the fedora mailing list, where
his behaviour differed not a scintilla from what it does today.

unsurprisingly, karl's contributions to the fedora list were totally
predictable:

* vague, incomplete complaints about things that were somehow broken,
and this was clearly a "bug" that he was going to report,

* sudden resolution of the "bug", accompanied by rapturous joy about
how this was the greatest OS out there,

* inexplicable re-occurrence of bug, whereupon said OS was suddenly
unacceptably error-filled and should never have been released,

* a determined insistence to ignore every piece of good advice given
to him on the list, invariably followed by

* a revelation as to how to fix his current "bug", which was
inevitably a massively ill-informed and dangerous idea, resulting in
catastrophic damage to his system, which only reinforced his idea that
it was all the OS's fault, and everyone else on the list was to blame.

* oh, and constant postings about how something worked for him. over
and over and over and over.

do i have that about right? and on that note, i will get back to
work.

rday

p.s. many of us pleaded with karl to get a blog where he could wax
eloquent to his heart's content. an exercise in futility.

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 05-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

Hi rday,
Robert P. J. Day said the following on 12/05/10 19:22:
> * inexplicable re-occurrence of bug, whereupon said OS was suddenly
> unacceptably error-filled and should never have been released,
Heh, when talking about Fedora, I can relate to this. I'm totally off-topic
here but I painfully remember the bruhaha about the DVD-driver-killing
Fedora release Was that Fedora 3 or 4... We use CentOS/RHEL a lot at work
but I still think the greatest desktop release they did was Redhat Linux 6.2
and the next one was RedHat Linux 9.
Anyway, back to compilation of netjack on the new studio box...

Old 05-13-2010, 01:26 AM
Robert Holtzman

On Wed, 12 May 2010, Karl Larsen wrote:

> I have a about 1 year old HP CQ50 139WM which has a 160 GB HD, 2 MB
> RAM dual cpu 64 bit 10.04 installed.
>
> Everything is working great on this machine! The USB ports all
> work, and I can watch DVDmovies. So far as I can tell everything works fine!

If you have no question/problem then I assure you no one give a damn.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Old 05-13-2010, 02:22 AM
Karl Larsen

On 05/12/2010 07:26 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 2010, Karl Larsen wrote:
>

>> I have a about 1 year old HP CQ50 139WM which has a 160 GB HD, 2 MB
>> RAM dual cpu 64 bit 10.04 installed.
>>
>> Everything is working great on this machine! The USB ports all
>> work, and I can watch DVDmovies. So far as I can tell everything works fine!
>>
> If you have no question/problem then I assure you no one give a damn.

Sorry I thought other people than you MIGHT like to hear that 10.04
does work well on a VERY well defined laptop. You know all of course so
it is no news to you :-[

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-13-2010, 02:29 AM
Johnneylee Rollins

> * * Sorry I thought other people than you MIGHT like to hear that 10.04
> does work well on a VERY well defined laptop. You know all of course so
> it is no news to you :-[

You do know there are millions of possible configurations with all the
hardware and that posting about your specific setup is "a-okay" then
"Broken and shouldn't have been released" every half hour isn't
helping anyone. Try maybe helping out by making sure your hardware is
on the supported hardware list, and if it isn't, and the hardware is
working you should add it to the list following in step with the other
entries.

You might really look into a blog. Hell, I'll host it for you if you
want. Or go to any of the blog sites, http://wordpress.com/
http://blogger.com/

For being a support mailing list, there are quite a few unnecessary
things said to those who are offering help for free. If you feel so
inclined to treat these amazing people how you do, I might suggest
paying for proper support with people who actually get money to listen
to you and your famous bug reports.

If you insist on giving us a update every half hour, please do be as
technical about the information as possible. Not a 'my laptop is
working!', or alternatively, 'Ubuntu broke'.

~SpaceGhost

Old 05-13-2010, 02:33 AM
Karl Larsen

On 05/12/2010 08:29 PM, Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
>> Sorry I thought other people than you MIGHT like to hear that 10.04
>> does work well on a VERY well defined laptop. You know all of course so
>> it is no news to you :-[
>>
> You do know there are millions of possible configurations with all the
> hardware and that posting about your specific setup is "a-okay" then
> "Broken and shouldn't have been released" every half hour isn't
> helping anyone. Try maybe helping out by making sure your hardware is
> on the supported hardware list, and if it isn't, and the hardware is
> working you should add it to the list following in step with the other
> entries.
>
> You might really look into a blog. Hell, I'll host it for you if you
> want. Or go to any of the blog sites, http://wordpress.com/
> http://blogger.com/
>
> For being a support mailing list, there are quite a few unnecessary
> things said to those who are offering help for free. If you feel so
> inclined to treat these amazing people how you do, I might suggest
> paying for proper support with people who actually get money to listen
> to you and your famous bug reports.
>
> If you insist on giving us a update every half hour, please do be as
> technical about the information as possible. Not a 'my laptop is
> working!', or alternatively, 'Ubuntu broke'.
>
> ~SpaceGhost

Thanks for your vote of confidence :-)

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-13-2010, 07:16 AM
Dotan Cohen

On 12 May 2010 21:22, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 2010, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
>
>> Karl,
>> Karl Larsen said the following on 12/05/10 16:39:
>> > * * *I have a about 1 year old HP CQ50 139WM which has a 160 GB HD, 2 MB
>> > RAM dual cpu *64 bit 10.04 installed.
>>
>> Go to www.blogger.com, create an account and post these "everything
>> successful" messages there as much as you like it.
>>
>> I don't see many others posting the status of every Ubuntu
>> installation they have in their house/workplace every hour. I have 2
>> PCs and four laptops right here on my desk, shall I spam you with
>> "Everything's fine!" messages every so often?
>
> *you're wasting your breath, hakan. *while i'm new to ubuntu (and i
> really wanted to avoid getting into this discussion), i have plenty of
> experience with karl from his time on the fedora mailing list, where
> his behaviour differed not a scintilla from what it does today.
>
> *unsurprisingly, karl's contributions to the fedora list were totally
> predictable:
>
> * vague, incomplete complaints about things that were somehow broken,
> and this was clearly a "bug" that he was going to report,
>
> * sudden resolution of the "bug", accompanied by rapturous joy about
> how this was the greatest OS out there,
>
> * inexplicable re-occurrence of bug, whereupon said OS was suddenly
> unacceptably error-filled and should never have been released,
>
> * a determined insistence to ignore every piece of good advice given
> to him on the list, invariably followed by
>
> * a revelation as to how to fix his current "bug", which was
> inevitably a massively ill-informed and dangerous idea, resulting in
> catastrophic damage to his system, which only reinforced his idea that
> it was all the OS's fault, and everyone else on the list was to blame.
>
> * oh, and constant postings about how something worked for him. *over
> and over and over and over.
>
> *do i have that about right? *and on that note, i will get back to
> work.
>
> rday

That's not fair, Robert.

You concentrating on Karl's own threads, and are completely forgetting
Karl's contributions to other people's threads. Recently I had an
issue where Lucid would not recognise more than 4 serial ports. It was
an easy fix in a kernel module, however before that fix could be
suggested Karl had to pollute the thread with three messages about how
"Lucid is still buggy" and "serial ports are not common any longer".
His recent "Building a kernel is not for the faint of heart"
contributions to your own thread were in a similar vain.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Old 05-13-2010, 07:18 AM
Dotan Cohen

On 13 May 2010 05:22, Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/12/2010 07:26 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 May 2010, Karl Larsen wrote:
>>

>>> * * *I have a about 1 year old HP CQ50 139WM which has a 160 GB HD, 2 MB
>>> RAM dual cpu *64 bit 10.04 installed.
>>>
>>> * * *Everything is working great on this machine! The USB ports all
>>> work, and I can watch DVDmovies. So far as I can tell everything works fine!
>>>
>> If you have no question/problem then I assure you no one give a damn.
>>

> * * Sorry I thought other people than you MIGHT like to hear that 10.04
> does work well on a VERY well defined laptop. You know all of course so
> it is no news to you :-[

Assuming that you really want to help and not troll, then post it here:
http://www.ubuntuhcl.org/

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com