Old 05-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Liam Proven

Default Docky

Anyone using this somewhat Mac OS X-like dock app?

From a quick play, I quite like it but it's crashing and dying about
once every 20min, which makes it fairly unusable. Does it do this for
anyone else?

MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

Old 05-12-2010, 02:06 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Wed, 12 May 2010 14:22:07 +0100
Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone using this somewhat Mac OS X-like dock app?
>
> From a quick play, I quite like it but it's crashing and dying about
> once every 20min, which makes it fairly unusable. Does it do this for
> anyone else?

Regularly. That's why I've switched to Cairo-dock.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 05-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Cindy Muniz

Docky worked for me, but some of the applets that I wanted would not
work like weather. I switched to Cairo-Dock too.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:00 PM
nepal

On Wed, 12 May 2010 09:06:56 -0500
"Cybe R. Wizard" <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Regularly. That's why I've switched to Cairo-dock.
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

same here.

nepal.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Liam Proven

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Cybe R. Wizard
<cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 2010 14:22:07 +0100
> Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyone using this somewhat Mac OS X-like dock app?
>>
>> From a quick play, I quite like it but it's crashing and dying about
>> once every 20min, which makes it fairly unusable. Does it do this for
>> anyone else?
>>
> Regularly. *That's why I've switched to Cairo-dock.

Thanks for the recommendation, but...

Half an hour of user-interface hell later, I gave up and uninstalled
it. Horrible horrible HORRIBLE app.

- There's no UI to remove a dock, AFAICS.

- I can't see how to reorder icons.

- It adds launchers automatically for apps I don't even have and
spawns multiple docks at the drop of a hat, e.g. when changing themes.

- The themes range from vile to truly horrid. Strange orange wiggly
lines; flips and spins and bounces and fades, sometimes all at once;
weird little scurrying penguins like cockroaches.
18 types of lousy pseudo 3D and only 1 or 2 poor efforts at a simple
2D box which is all I need.

- No way to disable allthe horrid ugly amateurish animations.

- No "OK" buttons, just "apply" and "close".

- Dozens of themes preinstalled, no visible way to remove them.

I could go on.

That was a truly nasty experience. Tacky, cheap-looking, lacking core
functionality but covered in fugly themes apparently designed by
11-year-olds. A real return to the bad old days of 1990s Linux.

MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508