Old 05-12-2010, 01:11 PM

Default what means it that firefox keeps greying out?

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 08:43, Pat Brown <pat.mysterywriter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 6:30 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca>
> wrote:
>> *i'm not sure if this is related to my running a 2.6.34-rc7 kernel
>> but, recently (within the last day or so), i've had my firefox session
>> suddenly go dim/grey, and become totally unresponsive. *it *appears*
>> to be related to when it's trying to load a page, but i've never seen
>> this behaviour before on any distro.
>>
>> *in some cases, if i just wait, it will come back; in other cases,
>> it's a lost cause and i have to kill firefox. *in an extreme case, i
>> had to power down the entire machine and reboot.
>>
>> *anyone else seeing this? *thoughts?
> Mine does that all the time. I run System Monitor all the time and when that
> happens I go to the monitor and Firefox is always hogging around 300 MB of
> Memory and is Uninterruptable. I notice it happens more when I have Facebook
> open. Since Facebook is a live feed, it updates constantly and I think
> that's what hogs the memory.
>
> I figured it was the low memory I have on my laptop. I have less than 500 MB
> of Memory

See my post... the key is uninterruptable...

As memory usage grows across your open apps, as well as CPU usage,
this will happen. I can usually get it to happen across many apps,
especially when I have FF open with several tabs as well as other apps
based on Java or other such environments.

It used to be the application in question (whatever it is that's in an
uninterruptable state) would do nothing, and appear hung when it was
just waiting on IO or queued, or who knows what. Somewhere in the
recent past, the window darkening feature was added so you'd at least
have some indication that the app is "on hold".

I have no idea exactly when that was added in, other than within the
last few years though

Jeff

Old 05-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Hal Burgiss

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 6:30 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> *i'm not sure if this is related to my running a 2.6.34-rc7 kernel
> but, recently (within the last day or so), i've had my firefox session
> suddenly go dim/grey, and become totally unresponsive. *it *appears*
> to be related to when it's trying to load a page, but i've never seen
> this behaviour before on any distro.
>
> *in some cases, if i just wait, it will come back; in other cases,
> it's a lost cause and i have to kill firefox. *in an extreme case, i
> had to power down the entire machine and reboot.
>
> *anyone else seeing this? *thoughts?

Whats your hardware profile like? a) FF is a resource hog b) To run
resource intensive stuff like Firefox, Openoffice and/or Gnome for any
length of time, you need more than 1G memory on recent Ubuntu (post
8.04). I'd suggest 4G, fast HDD, and decent cpu.

I have found Google Chrome much less resource hungry.

--
Hal

Old 05-12-2010, 02:17 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Wed, 12 May 2010, Hal Burgiss wrote:

> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 6:30 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> > *i'm not sure if this is related to my running a 2.6.34-rc7 kernel
> > but, recently (within the last day or so), i've had my firefox
> > session suddenly go dim/grey, and become totally unresponsive. *it
> > *appears* to be related to when it's trying to load a page, but
> > i've never seen this behaviour before on any distro.
> >
> > *in some cases, if i just wait, it will come back; in other cases,
> > it's a lost cause and i have to kill firefox. *in an extreme case,
> > i had to power down the entire machine and reboot.
> >
> > *anyone else seeing this? *thoughts?
>
> Whats your hardware profile like? a) FF is a resource hog b) To run
> resource intensive stuff like Firefox, Openoffice and/or Gnome for
> any length of time, you need more than 1G memory on recent Ubuntu
> (post 8.04). I'd suggest 4G, fast HDD, and decent cpu.
>
> I have found Google Chrome much less resource hungry.

one of the first things i did was run "top" and, sure, the CPU usage
was pegged at 100%, but i've had the same thing happen on fedora and
i've never seen that behaviour of having the entire FF client go dim
like that.

i have this running on a gateway NV 52 laptop with 4G of RAM. not a
screamer by any stretch, but still adequate one would think.

rday

Old 05-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Florian Diesch

"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> writes:

> i'm not sure if this is related to my running a 2.6.34-rc7 kernel
> but, recently (within the last day or so), i've had my firefox session
> suddenly go dim/grey, and become totally unresponsive. it *appears*

Windows get greyed out if they are unresponsive for some time.

> to be related to when it's trying to load a page, but i've never seen
> this behaviour before on any distro.
>
> in some cases, if i just wait, it will come back; in other cases,
> it's a lost cause and i have to kill firefox. in an extreme case, i
> had to power down the entire machine and reboot.
>
> anyone else seeing this? thoughts?

Start Firefox in safe mode by running
firefox -safe-mode
from the command line. This disables extensions and themes. If it's
better now one of your extensions is causing the problem.

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/doc/emacs/>

Old 05-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Pat Brown

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Hal Burgiss <hal@burgiss.net> wrote:

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 6:30 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> *i'm not sure if this is related to my running a 2.6.34-rc7 kernel

> but, recently (within the last day or so), i've had my firefox session

> suddenly go dim/grey, and become totally unresponsive. *it *appears*

> to be related to when it's trying to load a page, but i've never seen

> this behaviour before on any distro.

> *in some cases, if i just wait, it will come back; in other cases,

> it's a lost cause and i have to kill firefox. *in an extreme case, i

> had to power down the entire machine and reboot.

> *anyone else seeing this? *thoughts?

Whats your hardware profile like? a) FF is a resource hog b) To run

resource intensive stuff like Firefox, Openoffice and/or Gnome for any

length of time, you need more than 1G memory on recent Ubuntu (post

8.04). I'd suggest 4G, fast HDD, and decent cpu.

I have found Google Chrome much less resource hungry.

--

Hal

That would be my problem then. I often have both FF and OO open and work in both. I've known for a while I need a new laptop.

Pat Brown

http://www.pabrown.ca

Award winning author of the L.A. crime novels.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:28 PM
"Harry L. Lee"

i see this a bunch in firefox. it has always been my assumption that a script is eating the machine alive (the top bar system monitor indicates the machine is pegged (course, i'm running on a netbook, so that is easy to do.))

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Florian Diesch <diesch@spamfence.net> wrote:

"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> writes:

> * i'm not sure if this is related to my running a 2.6.34-rc7 kernel

> but, recently (within the last day or so), i've had my firefox session

> suddenly go dim/grey, and become totally unresponsive. *it *appears*

Windows get greyed out if they are unresponsive for some time.

> to be related to when it's trying to load a page, but i've never seen

> this behaviour before on any distro.

> * in some cases, if i just wait, it will come back; in other cases,

> it's a lost cause and i have to kill firefox. *in an extreme case, i

> had to power down the entire machine and reboot.

> * anyone else seeing this? *thoughts?

Start Firefox in safe mode by running

*firefox -safe-mode

from the command line. This disables extensions and themes. If it's

better now one of your extensions is causing the problem.

* Florian

--

<http://www.florian-diesch.de/doc/emacs/>

harry@jonesnose.com
Harry L Lee (via gmail)
chief cook and bottle washer
http://jonesnose.com

mailto:harry@jonesnose.com
207-384-8030 (email preferred)

Old 05-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Matt Morgan

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 9:11 AM, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 08:43, Pat Brown <pat.mysterywriter@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 6:30 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca>

> wrote:

>> *i'm not sure if this is related to my running a 2.6.34-rc7 kernel

>> but, recently (within the last day or so), i've had my firefox session

>> suddenly go dim/grey, and become totally unresponsive. *it *appears*

>> to be related to when it's trying to load a page, but i've never seen

>> this behaviour before on any distro.

>> *in some cases, if i just wait, it will come back; in other cases,

>> it's a lost cause and i have to kill firefox. *in an extreme case, i

>> had to power down the entire machine and reboot.

>> *anyone else seeing this? *thoughts?

> Mine does that all the time. I run System Monitor all the time and when that

> happens I go to the monitor and Firefox is always hogging around 300 MB of

> Memory and is Uninterruptable. I notice it happens more when I have Facebook

> open. Since Facebook is a live feed, it updates constantly and I think

> that's what hogs the memory.

> I figured it was the low memory I have on my laptop. I have less than 500 MB

> of Memory

See my post... the key is uninterruptable...

As memory usage grows across your open apps, as well as CPU usage,

this will happen. *I can usually get it to happen across many apps,

especially when I have FF open with several tabs as well as other apps

based on Java or other such environments.

It used to be the application in question (whatever it is that's in an

uninterruptable state) would do nothing, and appear hung when it was

just waiting on IO or queued, or who knows what. *Somewhere in the

recent past, the window darkening feature was added so you'd at least

have some indication that the app is "on hold".

I have no idea exactly when that was added in, other than within the

last few years though

Jeff

Does anyone know what part of the system is causing the graying out? Is it Gnome, is it some Ubuntu-special? I'd like to make it stop.

Thanks
Matt

Old 05-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Hal Burgiss

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Matt Morgan <minxmertzmomo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know what part of the system is causing the graying out? Is it
> Gnome, is it some Ubuntu-special? I'd like to make it stop.

Its the system itself. When you do something in FF and it is
triggering this, the system does not have the resources available to
respond as it should. So it just drags the system as the system starts
trying to make the resources available. Its kind of a tipping point
thing, and since FF is a resource pig, it is more likely to be the
culprit to cause this (but not the only thing). There's a lot of
factors involved, including memory, cpu and video resources.

--
Hal

Old 05-12-2010, 05:43 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Wed, 12 May 2010, Hal Burgiss wrote:

> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Matt Morgan <minxmertzmomo@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know what part of the system is causing the graying
> > out? Is it Gnome, is it some Ubuntu-special? I'd like to make it
> > stop.
>
> Its the system itself. When you do something in FF and it is
> triggering this, the system does not have the resources available to
> respond as it should. So it just drags the system as the system
> starts trying to make the resources available. Its kind of a tipping
> point thing, and since FF is a resource pig, it is more likely to be
> the culprit to cause this (but not the only thing). There's a lot of
> factors involved, including memory, cpu and video resources.

but i think the question was ... what specifically is controlling
the graying of the FF client? i used fedora for years and, even when
FF was dragging the system to its knees, i never saw that phenomenon.
is this a GNOME setting? i don't necessarily want to turn it off, i
just want to know who's responsible for it.

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 05-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Rei Shinozuka

I've seen it with ktorrent and digikam as well as firefox. Often if I
move a lot of data on a NAS that ktorrent is using to store data to,
ktorrent will go dark temporarily, so I also came to the conclusion that
the effect is indicative of system resources overall, and not just cpu
or memory.

-rei