Old 05-12-2010, 10:30 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default what means it that firefox keeps greying out?

i'm not sure if this is related to my running a 2.6.34-rc7 kernel
but, recently (within the last day or so), i've had my firefox session
suddenly go dim/grey, and become totally unresponsive. it *appears*
to be related to when it's trying to load a page, but i've never seen
this behaviour before on any distro.

in some cases, if i just wait, it will come back; in other cases,
it's a lost cause and i have to kill firefox. in an extreme case, i
had to power down the entire machine and reboot.

anyone else seeing this? thoughts?

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 05-12-2010, 10:44 AM

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 06:30, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> *i'm not sure if this is related to my running a 2.6.34-rc7 kernel
> but, recently (within the last day or so), i've had my firefox session
> suddenly go dim/grey, and become totally unresponsive. *it *appears*
> to be related to when it's trying to load a page, but i've never seen
> this behaviour before on any distro.
>
> *in some cases, if i just wait, it will come back; in other cases,
> it's a lost cause and i have to kill firefox. *in an extreme case, i
> had to power down the entire machine and reboot.
>
> *anyone else seeing this? *thoughts?

Run top and watch firefox's status when it does that. All apps can go
grey like that when something is using ~100% CPU or such... or they
get hung or land in a wait state....

FF has been famous for that, especially when Flash is involved.

Cheers
Jeff

Old 05-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Basil Chupin

On 12/05/10 20:30, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> i'm not sure if this is related to my running a 2.6.34-rc7 kernel
> but, recently (within the last day or so), i've had my firefox session
> suddenly go dim/grey, and become totally unresponsive. it *appears*
> to be related to when it's trying to load a page, but i've never seen
> this behaviour before on any distro.
>
> in some cases, if i just wait, it will come back; in other cases,
> it's a lost cause and i have to kill firefox. in an extreme case, i
> had to power down the entire machine and reboot.
>
> anyone else seeing this? thoughts?

A similar behaviour I've seen when the system is about to have the
monitor go to sleep or start the screen saver. The first time it
frightened the heck out of me thinking that my monitor was about to die
but then I got use to it :-) .

BC

--
The best defence against logic is ignorance.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Ollie Killingback

On 12/05/10 20:30, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>> * *i'm not sure if this is related to my running a 2.6.34-rc7 kernel

>> but, recently (within the last day or so), i've had my firefox session

>> suddenly go dim/grey, and become totally unresponsive. *it *appears*

>>to be related to when it's trying to load a page, but i've never seen

>>this behaviour before on any distro.

>> in some cases, if i just wait, it will come back; in other cases,

>> it's a lost cause and i have to kill firefox. *in an extreme case, i

>> had to power down the entire machine and reboot.

>>* anyone else seeing this? *thoughts?

>A similar behaviour I've seen when the system is about to have the

>monitor go to sleep or start the screen saver. The first time it

>frightened the heck out of me thinking that my monitor was about to die
>but then I got use to it :-) .

I had the same thing happen to me on an older laptop running 9.10.* It happened rather frequently.* At first I thought it was due to a script running (or not) but then I thought it couldn't be, it had to be something local. Usually waiting cleared it, but once or twice I had to kill Firefox.* I had run several versions of Ubuntu previously on the same kit with no problems.

Then I upgraded my machine: I've now got a 64 bit laptop with 4G of RAM running 9.10 and have not seen the problem at all, so I guess it was something to do with the former machine.

Yes, it is frightening, you think your machine is being hijacked or something.* But I don't think there is anything like that happening, just some internal issue over resources.

Ollie K

Old 05-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Pat Brown

*i'm not sure if this is related to my running a 2.6.34-rc7 kernel

but, recently (within the last day or so), i've had my firefox session

suddenly go dim/grey, and become totally unresponsive. *it *appears*

to be related to when it's trying to load a page, but i've never seen

this behaviour before on any distro.

*in some cases, if i just wait, it will come back; in other cases,

it's a lost cause and i have to kill firefox. *in an extreme case, i

had to power down the entire machine and reboot.

*anyone else seeing this? *thoughts?

Robert P. J. Day * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

* * * * * *Linux Consulting, Training and Kernel Pedantry.

Web page: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * http://twitter.com/rpjday

Mine does that all the time. I run System Monitor all the time and when
that happens I go to the monitor and Firefox is always hogging around
300 MB of Memory and is Uninterruptable. I notice it happens more when
I have Facebook open. Since Facebook is a live feed, it updates
constantly and I think that's what hogs the memory.

I figured it was the low memory I have on my laptop. I have less than 500 MB of Memory

Pat Brown

http://www.pabrown.ca

Award winning author of the L.A. crime novels.