Old 05-12-2010, 07:35 AM
Matthias Brennwald

Default Cannot boot from software RAID with 2TB disks

Dear all

I just installed Ubuntu 10.04 to a RAID-5 array (md/software array with 4 x 2TB plus 1 x 2TB spare disk, so 6TB in total). I followed the instructions here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SoftwareRAID

However, the installer could not install GRUB. I finished the installation without installing GRUB and then rebooted from the installer CD (alternate) and chose to "repair a broken system" and then ran a shell with /dev/md1 as my root system. Then, I did this (again, according to the documentation mentioned above):

grub-install /dev/sda ---> this worked with not errors
grub-install /dev/sdb ---> this did not work, there were two messages from grub-setup:

warn: This GPT partition label has no BIOS Boot Partition; embedding won't be possible!.
error: embedding is not possible, but this is required when the root device is on a RAID array or LVM volume.

I have no clue what this is all about, so i entered the above warning to Google and found the following:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/partman-base/+bug/506670

What are my options? I'd appreciate any hints and help on how I can make this install work.

Matthias

----
Matthias Brennwald
Eawag, CH-8600 Dübendorf
Office Eawag BU-C08: +41 44 823 53 05
Lab Eawag LA-C76: +41 44 823 53 06
Lab ETHZ CLA A31.6: +41 632 09 36/39
matthias.brennwald@eawag.ch

Old 05-12-2010, 07:57 AM
Christopher Chan

On Wednesday, May 12, 2010 03:35 PM, Matthias Brennwald wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I just installed Ubuntu 10.04 to a RAID-5 array (md/software array with 4 x 2TB plus 1 x 2TB spare disk, so 6TB in total). I followed the instructions here:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SoftwareRAID

You missed this part on that page:

Warning: the /boot filesystem cannot use any softRAID level other than 1
with the stock Ubuntu bootloader. If you want to use some other RAID
level for most things, you'll need to create separate partitions and
make a RAID1 device for /boot.

> However, the installer could not install GRUB. I finished the installation without installing GRUB and then rebooted from the installer CD (alternate) and chose to "repair a broken system" and then ran a shell with /dev/md1 as my root system. Then, I did this (again, according to the documentation mentioned above):
>
> grub-install /dev/sda ---> this worked with not errors
> grub-install /dev/sdb ---> this did not work, there were two messages from grub-setup:
>
> warn: This GPT partition label has no BIOS Boot Partition; embedding won't be possible!.
> error: embedding is not possible, but this is required when the root device is on a RAID array or LVM volume.
>

> I have no clue what this is all about, so i entered the above warning to Google and found the following:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/partman-base/+bug/506670

I have not looked at that link but I am pretty sure it has nothing to do
with your problem. No operating system supports installing to a raid5
unless it is a hardware one and therefore not handled by the operating
system and even if it is hardware raid5 it may or may not work.

> What are my options? I'd appreciate any hints and help on how I can make this install work.

Only one. Destroy and redo it. 2 disks mirrored for system and the other
three a raid5 to be used however you like.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:02 AM
Christopher Chan

>> What are my options? I'd appreciate any hints and help on how I can make this install work.
>
> Only one. Destroy and redo it. 2 disks mirrored for system and the other
> three a raid5 to be used however you like.

Or you could put /boot on a usb key and install grub there and use that
for booting...that would allow / to be on raid5

Old 05-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Matthias Brennwald

On May 12, 2010, at 9:58 AM, ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

> You missed this part on that page:
>

> Warning: the /boot filesystem cannot use any softRAID level other than 1
> with the stock Ubuntu bootloader. If you want to use some other RAID
> level for most things, you'll need to create separate partitions and
> make a RAID1 device for /boot.

Ah... that explains a lot. I'll try again installing to a RAID1.
Yet, wouldn't it be nice if the installer would prevent idiots like me from installing the system to an unsupported RAID level?

Matthias

Old 05-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Matthias Brennwald

(sorry for sending this again, but I messed up the subject line in my previous message)

On May 12, 2010, at 9:58 AM, ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

>> What are my options? I'd appreciate any hints and help on how I can make this install work.
>
> Only one. Destroy and redo it. 2 disks mirrored for system and the other
> three a raid5 to be used however you like.

I just tried to install Ubuntu 10.04 onto a RAID1 with two disks. Same result. I still believe my problem is related to this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/partman-base/+bug/506670

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Matthias

Old 05-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Brian McKee

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 7:55 AM, Matthias Brennwald
<matthias@brennwald.org> wrote:
> On May 12, 2010, at 9:58 AM, ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
>>> What are my options? I'd appreciate any hints and help on how I can make this install work.
>> Only one. Destroy and redo it. 2 disks mirrored for system and the other
>> three a raid5 to be used however you like.
> I just tried to install Ubuntu 10.04 onto a RAID1 with two disks. Same result. I still believe my problem is related to this:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/partman-base/+bug/506670

Said bug (and I *think* the instructions you pointed to earlier) both
refer to grub.
Lucid uses Grub2 doesn't it? I suspect your instructions are out of date.

Brian
--
Hey, it's your computer.... isn't it?

Old 05-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Tom H

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 7:55 AM, Matthias Brennwald
<matthias@brennwald.org> wrote:
> (sorry for sending this again, but I messed up the subject line in my previous message)
>
> On May 12, 2010, at 9:58 AM, ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
>
>>> What are my options? I'd appreciate any hints and help on how I can make this install work.
>>
>> Only one. Destroy and redo it. 2 disks mirrored for system and the other
>> three a raid5 to be used however you like.
>
> I just tried to install Ubuntu 10.04 onto a RAID1 with two disks. Same result. I still believe my problem is related to this:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/partman-base/+bug/506670
>
> Any thoughts on how to fix this?

What is the size of /boot?

If you've used two full disks, you may now have hit that bug; and
wasted alot of disk space because /boot does not need that much space.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Tom H

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 7:55 AM, Matthias Brennwald
> <matthias@brennwald.org> wrote:
>>> Only one. Destroy and redo it. 2 disks mirrored for system and the other
>>> three a raid5 to be used however you like.
>> I just tried to install Ubuntu 10.04 onto a RAID1 with two disks. Same result. I still believe my problem is related to this:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/partman-base/+bug/506670
>
> Said bug (and I *think* the instructions you pointed to earlier) both
> refer to grub.
> Lucid uses Grub2 doesn't it? *I suspect your instructions are out of date.

I suspect that in the instructions on
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SoftwareRAID
grub refers to grub2 because that is/was the 9.10 default for a clean
install. Anyway, grub1 doesn't do RAID.

The help should probably put the warning about RAID1 and /boot at the
very top where it says:
"How to create RAID using Ubuntu Software RAID. Including RAID 0, 1, 5 and 6."

Old 05-13-2010, 12:51 AM
Christopher Chan

On Thursday, May 13, 2010 05:09 AM, Tom H wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Brian McKee<brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 7:55 AM, Matthias Brennwald
>> <matthias@brennwald.org> wrote:
>>> I just tried to install Ubuntu 10.04 onto a RAID1 with two disks. Same result. I still believe my problem is related to this:
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/partman-base/+bug/506670
>>
>> Said bug (and I *think* the instructions you pointed to earlier) both
>> refer to grub.
>> Lucid uses Grub2 doesn't it? I suspect your instructions are out of date.
>
> I suspect that in the instructions on
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SoftwareRAID
> grub refers to grub2 because that is/was the 9.10 default for a clean
> install. Anyway, grub1 doesn't do RAID.

grub1 does not need to 'do' raid. grub1 has been used for mirrored /boot
or / for a very long time now.

> The help should probably put the warning about RAID1 and /boot at the
> very top where it says:
> "How to create RAID using Ubuntu Software RAID. Including RAID 0, 1, 5 and 6."

Nope. There should be a separate page for installing on raid and that
page should only deal with creating RAID devices. Confusion gone.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:14 AM
Christopher Chan

On Wednesday, May 12, 2010 07:55 PM, Matthias Brennwald wrote:
> (sorry for sending this again, but I messed up the subject line in my previous message)
>
> On May 12, 2010, at 9:58 AM, ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
>
>>> What are my options? I'd appreciate any hints and help on how I can make this install work.
>>
>> Only one. Destroy and redo it. 2 disks mirrored for system and the other
>> three a raid5 to be used however you like.
>
> I just tried to install Ubuntu 10.04 onto a RAID1 with two disks. Same result. I still believe my problem is related to this:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/partman-base/+bug/506670

Debian-installer behind the times. Phew, that's better than having a
messed up Ubuntu version of d-i.

> Any thoughts on how to fix this?

you could try booting up the LiveCD and then installing parted to create
a bios_boot partition for grub.

How did you partition the disks? Do you have room to create a bios_boot
partition for grub2? I suppose you always resize what's been installed
already if need be...