Old 05-12-2010, 06:44 AM
Ray Parrish

Default Seperating the mic from the speakers.

Hello,

I have been making recordings of myself playing guitar along with music
videos on You Tube.

The problem I'm having is that the microphone I use to capture the sound
from the guitar amplifier can be heard on the computer speakers. This is
causing the computer speakers to become overdriven due to the volume of
the guitar.

As a result, the guitar sounds fine on my recordings, but the music from
the video is overdriven, and sounds lousy since it's getting captured by
the mic, which records the overdriven state to the recordings.

Is there some way to uncouple the microphone from the computer speakers?
I have looked through every sound control tool I can find on my machine,
and so far nothing has done the trick.

Thanks for any help you can be, Ray Parrish

--
Linux dpkg Software Report script set..
http://www.rayslinks.com/LinuxdpkgSoftwareReport.html

Old 05-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Basil Chupin

On 12/05/10 16:44, Ray Parrish wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been making recordings of myself playing guitar along with music
> videos on You Tube.
>
> The problem I'm having is that the microphone I use to capture the sound
> from the guitar amplifier can be heard on the computer speakers. This is
> causing the computer speakers to become overdriven due to the volume of
> the guitar.
>
> As a result, the guitar sounds fine on my recordings, but the music from
> the video is overdriven, and sounds lousy since it's getting captured by
> the mic, which records the overdriven state to the recordings.
>
> Is there some way to uncouple the microphone from the computer speakers?
> I have looked through every sound control tool I can find on my machine,
> and so far nothing has done the trick.
>
> Thanks for any help you can be, Ray Parrish

Isn't there any setting in alsamixergui which you could disable to get
what you want?

BC

--
The best defence against logic is ignorance.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Ray Parrish

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 12/05/10 16:44, Ray Parrish wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been making recordings of myself playing guitar along with music
>> videos on You Tube.
>>
>> The problem I'm having is that the microphone I use to capture the sound
>> from the guitar amplifier can be heard on the computer speakers. This is
>> causing the computer speakers to become overdriven due to the volume of
>> the guitar.
>>
>> As a result, the guitar sounds fine on my recordings, but the music from
>> the video is overdriven, and sounds lousy since it's getting captured by
>> the mic, which records the overdriven state to the recordings.
>>
>> Is there some way to uncouple the microphone from the computer speakers?
>> I have looked through every sound control tool I can find on my machine,
>> and so far nothing has done the trick.
>>
>> Thanks for any help you can be, Ray Parrish
>>

> Isn't there any setting in alsamixergui which you could disable to get
> what you want?
>
> BC

Well, it was kind of unintuitive, but I figured it out b fiddling with
the settings with sound recorder open, and trying to record from the
mike at the same time.

In the Gnome Alsa Mixer one can select record for the mike, but also may
select mute for the mic, which does not prevent recording from it, it
just prevents it from outputting anything to the speakers, which is
exactly what I wanted.

I never expected that muting the mic would be what I would have to do.

Later Ray Parrish

Old 05-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Basil Chupin

On 12/05/10 23:19, Ray Parrish wrote:
> Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> On 12/05/10 16:44, Ray Parrish wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have been making recordings of myself playing guitar along with music
>>> videos on You Tube.
>>>
>>> The problem I'm having is that the microphone I use to capture the sound
>>> from the guitar amplifier can be heard on the computer speakers. This is
>>> causing the computer speakers to become overdriven due to the volume of
>>> the guitar.
>>>
>>> As a result, the guitar sounds fine on my recordings, but the music from
>>> the video is overdriven, and sounds lousy since it's getting captured by
>>> the mic, which records the overdriven state to the recordings.
>>>
>>> Is there some way to uncouple the microphone from the computer speakers?
>>> I have looked through every sound control tool I can find on my machine,
>>> and so far nothing has done the trick.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help you can be, Ray Parrish
>>>

>> Isn't there any setting in alsamixergui which you could disable to get
>> what you want?
>>
>> BC
>>

> Well, it was kind of unintuitive, but I figured it out b fiddling with
> the settings with sound recorder open, and trying to record from the
> mike at the same time.
>
> In the Gnome Alsa Mixer one can select record for the mike, but also may
> select mute for the mic, which does not prevent recording from it, it
> just prevents it from outputting anything to the speakers, which is
> exactly what I wanted.
>
> I never expected that muting the mic would be what I would have to do.

Well there you are...one never knows what one can achieve when one does
some fiddling! Look at what Nero achieved! :-)

BC

--
The best defence against logic is ignorance.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

Ray,
Ray Parrish said the following on 12/05/10 07:44:
> The problem I'm having is that the microphone I use to capture the sound
> from the guitar amplifier can be heard on the computer speakers. This is
> causing the computer speakers to become overdriven due to the volume of
> the guitar.
Buy a set of headphones and a DI and use that to record the guitar parts.
Behringer has very cheap DIs, I have one right here which goes into my Mixer
and from there to the Delta 44 card.