Old 05-12-2010, 06:12 AM
Arun Shrimali

Default Ubuntu client authentication using Ubuntu (ebox) - Samba Server as pdc

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Christopher Chan <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

On Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:46 PM, Arun Shrimali wrote:

> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Arun Shrimali <arun.reso@gmail.com

> <mailto:arun.reso@gmail.com>> wrote:

> * * Hi, i need some help.

> * * I have a lan with some pc working as clients.

> * * Server is running on ebox 1.4 and Samba as pdc.

> * * I have a domain and xp clients using accounts from the samba server

> * * working perfectly.

> * * I replaced xp with ubuntu 9.10 in some clients, but i don't know how

> * * to force ubuntu clients to authenticate thrugh samba - server, like

> * * win-xp. *and use the user/password and profile as defined at ebox

> * * server.

> * * arun

> This means that ubuntu does not have the perfect client application for

> the Samba PDC. Where as Windows works perfectly as client to samba ??

I guess Windows NT Workstation 4.0 (yoohoo, many of those around?) since

Samba only supports the NT domain model...but you have already got XP

clients working so why are you asking?

Making the Ubuntu clients authenticate through samba should be easy

enough...just set up local samba for *bdc, winbind or pam_smbpass?

Thanks for the time. But could not get any 'howto' on howto configure Ubuntu client to authenticate Samba on the logon itself (means while starting a Ubuntu client / PC, user should directly login to the samba pdc) and can get mapped their home directory and profile.

Can you please me in step by step setup or just provide the link for the same.

Arun

Old 05-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Arun Shrimali

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Christopher Chan <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

> Thanks for the time. But could not get any 'howto' on howto configure

> Ubuntu client to authenticate Samba on the logon itself (means while

> starting a Ubuntu client / PC, user should directly login to the samba

> pdc) and can get mapped their home directory and profile.

Dude, use Linux tools for this. Ubuntu and XP do not share the same uses

for the profile. Anyway, a bit more info before I try helping you through.

> Can you please me in step by step setup or just provide the link for the

> same.

Are you syncing the Samba user database with /etc/passwd? Do you use

ldap as a backend for samba? Please provide a few more details of the

PDC setup. Do you have security expectations like user A should not be

able to touch user B's files, or user A and user C are part of a group

and they have files that only they can touch?

Again thanks for your time.
You mean to say that, where Samba is working as PDC, XP and Ubuntu are working as a client, users could not have the roaming profile, and they can not work seamlessly across any ubuntu and XP client.

Any way, my Samba is working over ebox 1.4, where ldap is working as backend for samba.
I don't have security exception, whereas user A can access to his home folder as well as public folder and same way user B.

I am looking for the linux tools (as you said) which will authenticate the user at the time of logon itself (like wise in XP).

regards