Old 05-12-2010, 05:36 AM
Christopher Chan

Default Ubuntu client authentication using Ubuntu (ebox) - Samba Server as pdc

On Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:46 PM, Arun Shrimali wrote:

> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Arun Shrimali <arun.reso@gmail.com
> <mailto:arun.reso@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi, i need some help.
> I have a lan with some pc working as clients.
> Server is running on ebox 1.4 and Samba as pdc.
> I have a domain and xp clients using accounts from the samba server
> working perfectly.
> I replaced xp with ubuntu 9.10 in some clients, but i don't know how
> to force ubuntu clients to authenticate thrugh samba - server, like
> win-xp. and use the user/password and profile as defined at ebox
> server.
>
> arun
>

> This means that ubuntu does not have the perfect client application for
> the Samba PDC. Where as Windows works perfectly as client to samba ??

I guess Windows NT Workstation 4.0 (yoohoo, many of those around?) since
Samba only supports the NT domain model...but you have already got XP
clients working so why are you asking?

Making the Ubuntu clients authenticate through samba should be easy
enough...just set up local samba for bdc, winbind or pam_smbpass?

Old 05-12-2010, 06:58 AM
Christopher Chan

> Thanks for the time. But could not get any 'howto' on howto configure
> Ubuntu client to authenticate Samba on the logon itself (means while
> starting a Ubuntu client / PC, user should directly login to the samba
> pdc) and can get mapped their home directory and profile.

Dude, use Linux tools for this. Ubuntu and XP do not share the same uses
for the profile. Anyway, a bit more info before I try helping you through.

> Can you please me in step by step setup or just provide the link for the
> same.

Are you syncing the Samba user database with /etc/passwd? Do you use
ldap as a backend for samba? Please provide a few more details of the
PDC setup. Do you have security expectations like user A should not be
able to touch user B's files, or user A and user C are part of a group
and they have files that only they can touch?

Old 05-13-2010, 12:41 AM
Christopher Chan

> Again thanks for your time.
> You mean to say that, where Samba is working as PDC, XP and Ubuntu are
> working as a client, users could not have the roaming profile, and they
> can not work seamlessly across any ubuntu and XP client.

My, oh my. You do not have any idea how Windows 2000/XP profiles work do
you? You can attempt to put certain stuff in the same place like Desktop
and 'My Documents' by mapping accordingly. How that mapping is done is
different on Windows and on Ubuntu. You have to coordinate this to get
things to appear on both Windows and Ubuntu.

> Any way, my Samba is working over ebox 1.4, where ldap is working as
> backend for samba.

Ldap? Great. Configure ldap for authentication and for the user
information database I guess. That should leave you with the challenge
of getting Ubuntu clients to use the same location as the XP clients'
profile locations for users on Ubuntu.

> I don't have security exception, whereas user A can access to his home
> folder as well as public folder and same way user B.
>
> I am looking for the linux tools (as you said) which will authenticate
> the user at the time of logon itself (like wise in XP).

You need to mount the base directory of the profiles on the Ubuntu
clients to achieve a similar experience for the XP clients and map
accordingly on the Ubuntu clients.

Just what guide did you follow in setting up your PDC?