Old 05-12-2010, 05:13 AM
Basil Chupin

Default Ultimate Edition v2.6 of Lucid 10.04

What a BRILLIANT adaptation/transformation of Ubuntu Lucid (10.04)!

This is how I always imagined Linux to look when done professionally
(with no offence to current developers). The desktop of gold and melted
chocolate, with a gold rotating arrow head for the cursor, is stunning
(and you can change the wallpaper if you want).

Many thanks, Graham Todd, for mentioning this in one of your messages
(in a totally unrelated thread :-) ).

OK, for some this may be a just a bit "over the top" but for myself - I
am enjoying it and am enjoying playing around with it. I also know a few
people who would just LOVE this version.

Some nice things to start with:

Ubuntu Tweak is installed by default;

WINE is installed by default;

vlc, xine and amarok are installed by default, but not kaffeine;

the medibuntu source is in the repo sources and all you need to do is to
'activate' it - no need to go chasing this in Ubuntu wiki or wherever;

gimp is installed by default;

the list can go on.......

However, nothing is perfect.....

When you insert the DVD (2.4GB) it will boot into LIVE mode even though
- at least with me - it gives the option to Install from DVD it simply
boots into Live mode. That's OK but just something to watch for.

During the installation stage it retains the most annoying statement in
Ubuntu that "the installation will finish shortly", or words to this
effect, but it doesn't and takes quite a while to install - it took
overall an hour last night to install. I suspect that the reason for
this is that even though your language may be, say, English, the install
process downloads the language packs for all sorts of unwanted languages
(and then also tries to upgrade them!) like, for me Spanish, German,
and, would you believe, Xhosa :-) . On top of this, the progress bar
slowly progresses from 0% to 100%.....but then keeps going until, I
think, it reaches 180% :-) .

Just one other thing to bear in mind. Installing the nVidia "proppa"
video driver has a repurcussion: the golden rotating arrow-cursor turns
into an ugly duckling of a big black arrow head :-( (and the splash
screen on boot goes into EGA mode). Way out of getting the gold arrow
back (but not the splash screen on boot) is to deselect Visual Effects
in Appearance - that is, you lose the ability to use Compiz. I believe
that this hassle is being looked at as the emphasis was to get this UE
working for ATI/Radeon.

Oh, yes: the Adobe Flash plugin for Firefox is not installed by default
so you need to install it (from Synaptic Package Manager for example).

After playing around for a bit longer on my test-bed I think I will
switch my main system over to Ultimate Edition - it's so nice to look at
:-) .

As Graham advised, Ultimate Edition can be downloaded from

http://ultimateedition.info/ultimate-edition/ultimate-edition-2-6/

a 2.4GB download of a DVD iso.

BC

--

The best defence against logic is ignorance.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:47 AM
"Fred A. Miller"

On 05/12/2010 01:13 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> After playing around for a bit longer on my test-bed I think I will
> switch my main system over to Ultimate Edition - it's so nice to look at
> :-) .
>
> As Graham advised, Ultimate Edition can be downloaded from
>
> http://ultimateedition.info/ultimate-edition/ultimate-edition-2-6/
>
> a 2.4GB download of a DVD iso.

Let me know when they have the nVidia problem worked out, eh?

Fred

Old 05-12-2010, 06:08 AM
Basil Chupin

On 12/05/10 15:47, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> On 05/12/2010 01:13 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> After playing around for a bit longer on my test-bed I think I will
>> switch my main system over to Ultimate Edition - it's so nice to look at
>> :-) .
>>
>> As Graham advised, Ultimate Edition can be downloaded from
>>
>> http://ultimateedition.info/ultimate-edition/ultimate-edition-2-6/
>>
>> a 2.4GB download of a DVD iso.
>>

> Let me know when they have the nVidia problem worked out, eh?
>
> Fred

Well, not having Compiz will all of its bling of wobbly screens and
whatever is not important to me - in fact I find it a pain so the
question of not having Compiz is immaterial to me. And the not-perfect
splash screen symbol of UE, compared to the original which comes up with
the default nvidia driver, is nothing to worry about as the splash
screen only appears for a few seconds just before you get the login menu
so, again, this is no big deal. Otherwise there is no problem at all
with the nVidia driver (#195).

I had you in mind when I mentioned UE because some of the apps you would
need to install manually - Ubuntu Tweak - are installed by default and,
in fact, some of the tweaks are done by default - eg, the
minimise/maximise/exit buttons are on the RHS.

Download it, try it for yourself.

BC

--
The best defence against logic is ignorance.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:32 AM
"Fred A. Miller"

On 05/12/2010 02:08 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> Well, not having Compiz will all of its bling of wobbly screens and
> whatever is not important to me - in fact I find it a pain so the
> question of not having Compiz is immaterial to me. And the not-perfect
> splash screen symbol of UE, compared to the original which comes up with
> the default nvidia driver, is nothing to worry about as the splash
> screen only appears for a few seconds just before you get the login menu
> so, again, this is no big deal. Otherwise there is no problem at all
> with the nVidia driver (#195).
>
> I had you in mind when I mentioned UE because some of the apps you would
> need to install manually - Ubuntu Tweak - are installed by default and,
> in fact, some of the tweaks are done by default - eg, the
> minimise/maximise/exit buttons are on the RHS.
>
> Download it, try it for yourself.

I have an idea I will.....on this laptop.

Thanks,

Fred

--
"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people,
except for a few public officials." -- George Mason

Old 05-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Graham Todd

On Wed, 12 May 2010 15:13:15 +1000
Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> uttered these words:

> What a BRILLIANT adaptation/transformation of Ubuntu Lucid (10.04)!
>
> This is how I always imagined Linux to look when done professionally
> (with no offence to current developers). The desktop of gold and
> melted chocolate, with a gold rotating arrow head for the cursor, is
> stunning (and you can change the wallpaper if you want).
>
> Many thanks, Graham Todd, for mentioning this in one of your messages
> (in a totally unrelated thread :-) ).
[snipped]

I understand that there is just *one* person who is principally behind
this release with getting assistance from only a couple of others: he
goes by the epithet of THEEMAN.

As the wallpaper was a bit too garish for my taste, I changed it to
something from the alt.binary.pictures.wallpapers usenet newsgroup. I
found out about the problem with the nvidia driver - and saw it affect
the cursors - but that was easy to fix. As others have said, no distro
is totally bug free and by letting the developers know what we've found
with UE, we'll make it better.

There is another OS out there that I've mentioned before, that tries
to make the Ubuntu experience fuller: Super OS. However, it has only
been available for 32bit versions of Karmic, although it was mentioned
that the 64bit would be available for the Lucid-based release. As I
now use 64bit.....

Thanks for thanking me, but none of the "improvements" in Lucid could
have been made without Ubuntu first issuing it. All it needed was a
bit better preparation which would have taken some more time: it was
released too early. Meantime we have UE.

--
Graham Todd

Old 05-13-2010, 05:32 AM
Basil Chupin

On 13/05/10 08:08, Graham Todd wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 2010 15:13:15 +1000
> Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au> uttered these words:
>

>> What a BRILLIANT adaptation/transformation of Ubuntu Lucid (10.04)!
>>
>> This is how I always imagined Linux to look when done professionally
>> (with no offence to current developers). The desktop of gold and
>> melted chocolate, with a gold rotating arrow head for the cursor, is
>> stunning (and you can change the wallpaper if you want).
>>
>> Many thanks, Graham Todd, for mentioning this in one of your messages
>> (in a totally unrelated thread :-) ).
>>
> [snipped]
>
> I understand that there is just *one* person who is principally behind
> this release with getting assistance from only a couple of others: he
> goes by the epithet of THEEMAN.

I see many names when I look at the ABOUT in the Help menu, but TheeMahn
is on top and is the one who started it all.

> As the wallpaper was a bit too garish for my taste, I changed it to
> something from the alt.binary.pictures.wallpapers usenet newsgroup. I
> found out about the problem with the nvidia driver - and saw it affect
> the cursors - but that was easy to fix.

(Don't you just love those people who tell you that they know the answer
to a problem but don't tell you what that is nor where to find that
answer? :-) )

<Clears throat...> Graham, could you tell me how to fix that cursor
problem or where I may find the answer? O:-)

> As others have said, no distro
> is totally bug free and by letting the developers know what we've found
> with UE, we'll make it better.
>
> There is another OS out there that I've mentioned before, that tries
> to make the Ubuntu experience fuller: Super OS. However, it has only
> been available for 32bit versions of Karmic, although it was mentioned
> that the 64bit would be available for the Lucid-based release. As I
> now use 64bit.....
>
> Thanks for thanking me, but none of the "improvements" in Lucid could
> have been made without Ubuntu first issuing it.

This is the first thing which came to mind: while the effort to get
Ubuntu together someone else had the time to get the screens, etc
looking good. All they - Ubuntu - now need to do is get together with
TheeMahn's group and "put it all together" (but see also the Wikipedia
entry for "Ultimate Edition".)

BC

--
ATTORNEY: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in his sleep, he
doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Old 05-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Larry Shields

On 05/12/2010 12:13 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:

What a BRILLIANT adaptation/transformation of Ubuntu Lucid (10.04)!

This is how I always imagined Linux to look when done professionally
(with no offence to current developers). The desktop of gold and melted
chocolate, with a gold rotating arrow head for the cursor, is stunning
(and you can change the wallpaper if you want).

Many thanks, Graham Todd, for mentioning this in one of your messages
(in a totally unrelated thread :-) ).

OK, for some this may be a just a bit "over the top" but for myself - I
am enjoying it and am enjoying playing around with it. I also know a few
people who would just LOVE this version.

SNIP

I downloaded the Ultimate Edition v2.6 Live DVD ISO...

When I booted from the DVD it came up just fine, as for the wireless
network, that too worked after it was configured...There are plenty of
apps which are all ready installed, more than I have seen before...All
in-all I have to say, is that everything worked for me on my
desktop...It is the best edition to linux ever, people need to try it
just too see for there selves...

Larry

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 10.4 Lucid

Reg# Linux User 484593

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 05-13-2010, 11:36 PM
"Fred A. Miller"

On 05/13/2010 04:25 PM, Larry Shields wrote:
> On 05/12/2010 12:13 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> What a BRILLIANT adaptation/transformation of Ubuntu Lucid (10.04)!
>>
>> This is how I always imagined Linux to look when done professionally
>> (with no offence to current developers). The desktop of gold and melted
>> chocolate, with a gold rotating arrow head for the cursor, is stunning
>> (and you can change the wallpaper if you want).
>>
>> Many thanks, Graham Todd, for mentioning this in one of your messages
>> (in a totally unrelated thread :-) ).
>>
>> OK, for some this may be a just a bit "over the top" but for myself - I
>> am enjoying it and am enjoying playing around with it. I also know a few
>> people who would just LOVE this version.
>>

> _*SNIP *_
>
> *I downloaded the Ultimate Edition v2.6 Live DVD ISO...
> When I booted from the DVD it came up just fine, as for the wireless
> network, that too worked after it was configured...There are plenty of
> apps which are all ready installed, more than I have seen before...All
> in-all I have to say, is that everything worked for me on my
> desktop...It is the best edition to linux ever, people need to try it
> just too see for there selves...
>
> Larry*

'Sure do!

Fred