Old 05-12-2010, 04:04 AM
Florian Diesch

Default where to make packaging suggestions? the monstrosity that is "xmlto"

"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> writes:

> in the process of setting up my 10.04 box for
> typesetting/publishing, and went to install the "xmlto" package --
> sadly, it insists on dragging in dozens and dozens of "tex"-related
> packages and requiring 757MB of extra disk space. so, a thought or
> two.
>
> 1) given that people might want to use "xmlto" for generating
> simple HTML, it's not clear that every xmlto user needs all that
> tex-related crap. can it be repackaged to make all of that only
> *suggested*?
>
> 2) given that FOP is now a viable (if still incomplete) XML to PDF
> translator, that argues even more strongly for making tex stuff
> optional, since FOP might -- for many people -- be perfectly adequate.
>
> is this a reasonable suggestion to make to the appropriate parties?

Looks like you already have the choice between TeX and FOP:

$ apt-cache show xmlto|grep ^Recommends
Recommends: libpaper-utils, dblatex | fop

So if you have FOP installed the TeX stuff shouldn't get installed.

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/misc/mitte.html>

Old 05-12-2010, 07:52 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Wed, 12 May 2010, Florian Diesch wrote:

> "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> writes:
>
> > in the process of setting up my 10.04 box for
> > typesetting/publishing, and went to install the "xmlto" package --
> > sadly, it insists on dragging in dozens and dozens of "tex"-related
> > packages and requiring 757MB of extra disk space. so, a thought or
> > two.
> >
> > 1) given that people might want to use "xmlto" for generating
> > simple HTML, it's not clear that every xmlto user needs all that
> > tex-related crap. can it be repackaged to make all of that only
> > *suggested*?
> >
> > 2) given that FOP is now a viable (if still incomplete) XML to PDF
> > translator, that argues even more strongly for making tex stuff
> > optional, since FOP might -- for many people -- be perfectly adequate.
> >
> > is this a reasonable suggestion to make to the appropriate parties?
>
> Looks like you already have the choice between TeX and FOP:
>
> $ apt-cache show xmlto|grep ^Recommends
> Recommends: libpaper-utils, dblatex | fop
>
> So if you have FOP installed the TeX stuff shouldn't get installed.

yup, someone else already suggested the "--no-install-recommends"
option for installation, which did the trick.

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday